Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content)

Go down 
+3
Krabill
Broo C em
boogn1sh
7 posters
AuthorMessage
boogn1sh

boogn1sh

Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content) Empty
PostSubject: Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content)   Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content) EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 1:32 am

Time to strip her down and see if I can find that "flapper" thingy wink

Here is a pic of my R² in her birthday suit
Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content) DSCN2088

top of the air box contraption thingy, AKA "the flapper"
Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content) DSCN2084

Using my thumb to hold the flapper up. The round silver thing tells the flapper what to do.....i think
Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content) DSCN2086

Here is a pic HF posted in the monster thread of his modified flapper
Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content) HFsFlapper

HighFive scrapped the foam off the bottom side of the flapper and glued it down. He also made some good points about the down side of using a screw (as many have suggested) to hold the flapper down. Then removed the round silver thing and covered the hole it left.

So what exactly does this flapper do? It must change the air flow, restricts it maybe? It doesn't seem necessary, so I guess it's gotta go...
Back to top Go down
Broo C em

PostSubject: Re: Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content)   Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content) EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 2:22 pm

Hi . . . do you have a link to HF's mods in the A/R thread (I cant go thru 190 pages again!) .. . why did he leave the top in place with flapper stuck down, rather than remove the intake horns or open the top of the airbox as many others have done?
bROOc Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Krabill

PostSubject: Re: Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content)   Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content) EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 2:43 pm

Taking the entire top off the airbox leaves it susceptible to water running down in it. If you take your seat off after you wash the bike, you'll notice water collects all around the "removable" top. HF and I have been working on a better mouse trap and I think we've got it down. HF did it on an extra "test" airbox he has, and I did it to my bike.

What we did, was to first remove the whole top by grinding away the tops of the hold-down pins, then with a dremel, remove everything from the underside except the forward wall, which helps deflect air/water away from the air filter itself. Then, the top is put back into place. I'll see if I can get some pictures of it tonight to show you exactly what I'm talking about. I think it is the best of both worlds. The inlet is opened up, but the actual top is left in tact to help keep out water.
Back to top Go down
boogn1sh

boogn1sh

PostSubject: Re: Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content)   Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content) EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 2:43 pm

edit to say: read Krabill's post above and forget what I said ;-)

There is no easy way of removing the flapper in a clean manner. Covering the hole left by the solenoid is much easier and prettier. HF did open up his air box by cutting a series of holes in the top of the box. Just be careful where you put the holes, you don't want water getting down in there.

I have more to post in this thread, just need to find the time. I think this forum will eventually be a much easier place to find answers than the "monster" thread as long as people keep their off-topic comments in the "off-topic" forum. thumb
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content)   Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content) EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 3:37 pm

I too am not willing to sift through 190 pages to find the pics or comments. Please explain what is wrong with using a screw to hold the flapper down. Mine has been held down with a screw for about 6 months and I don't see any issues.
Back to top Go down
boogn1sh

boogn1sh

PostSubject: Re: Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content)   Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content) EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 4:04 pm

mwakey wrote:
I too am not willing to sift through 190 pages to find the pics or comments. Please explain what is wrong with using a screw to hold the flapper down. Mine has been held down with a screw for about 6 months and I don't see any issues.

If it doesn't have a sharp point sticking out of the bottom side then the only thing to worry about is the screw coming loose and getting sucked into a place you don't want it to be...
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content)   Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content) EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 6:14 pm

Well all my screws are tight, despite what others have said about me. Very happy

If it did come out, I doubt that little screw is going to make it past the air filter anyhow. Not enough suction there even at WOT to suck it through the foam. That being said, I did take the extra precaution to use some superglue on the threads when I put the screw in the flapper. And I made sure to use a screw that was long enough to bite good into the plastic below. Plus, the advantage to a screw is obvious, when it comes time to undo the mods and sell the bike, as opposed to gluing the flapper down totally and not being able to get it back up.
Back to top Go down
Krabill

PostSubject: Re: Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content)   Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content) EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 11:49 pm

Alright, here are a couple of pictures of my airbox with the lid in tact, but with all the guts and the flapper completely removed.

You just have to knock the very tops of the "pins" off to get the top off. That way, the pins are still there and you can use them again to realign the lid and I actually even just melted them back in place with a soldering iron.

Once the top was off, I used a dremel to get rid of everything up under there that I possibly could.

You can also see in these first couple of pictures that I removed about 3/8" from the top lip of the inlet scoop to give it a bigger opening.

Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content) Aa7xqr

Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content) Sfzbeo

From the underside you can see that there is nothing left except for the front wall to help direct any water that may get in away from the air filter.

Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content) 29pbvr6

I tried to get a better shot up in there, but it came out kinda fuzzy.

Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content) I6z5lz

There ya go . . . that's about as "open" as you can get the airbox and still remain relatively water proof.
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content)   Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content) EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 11:53 pm

The power programmer looks really slim here Shog
Back to top Go down
Krabill

PostSubject: Re: Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content)   Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content) EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 12:10 am

That's the supermodel version deal
Back to top Go down
Highfive

Highfive

PostSubject: Re: Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content)   Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content) EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 12:58 am

Krabill....who's your Daddy?

You shouldn't be posting photos of hurried work that looks like that. And jumping the gun, well that's another matter...

Now, I have to tidy up this mess and share a glimpse of the REAL project. My full report will come later...somewhere.

Before:

Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content) 484197348_6DjMo-L

After:

Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content) 484209297_cMwy5-L

Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content) 484208962_WfQki-L

Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content) 484208453_fuGe2-L

Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content) 484210047_xnVZU-L

HF thumb
Back to top Go down
derm75

PostSubject: Flapper removal question   Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content) EmptyWed May 06, 2009 3:53 pm

I'm going to do the airbox mod similar to how Krabill did, can I just remove all the stuff that is attached to the round silver thingy? There are some gray hoses, a plug in thingy, a little canister, and then a hose goes up under the gas tank somewhere.... How much of this comes out?

Jeremy
Back to top Go down
Krabill

PostSubject: Re: Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content)   Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content) EmptyWed May 06, 2009 10:02 pm

Yup. Remove it all. There is a small hose that goes up under the gas tank that will leave a small brass nipple you'll have to put a plug on, but everything else just comes off.

PM me your email address and i'll send you an instruction sheet if you want.
Back to top Go down
derm75

PostSubject: Re: Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content)   Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content) EmptyWed May 06, 2009 11:31 pm

Thanks Krabill, I think I can manage now that I know what to remove. Disassembly is a specialty of mine... beavis
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content)   Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content) Empty

Back to top Go down

Air box flapper mod (Strong HF content)
Page 1 of 1