Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Gas Milage

Go down 
+20
Akoffroader
Tammy
duanew
Jäger
WRoldman
sswrx
Chrispy1200
edteamslr
INSTIGATOR
skierd
bcpaul
inspector
Sloth
SpiritWolf15
SheWolf
craigq
rydnseek
3KGT_Maddness
motokid
Money$hift
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
motokid
motokid

Gas Milage - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 1:58 pm

You guys are all R riders who do plenty of off-road.

Let's wait to see what some street-fighters post up.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 2:00 pm

Zed gets good returns on his, and I think Hooligan does too IIRC...they both ride X's and aren't pansy riders by any means.

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 2:00 pm

motokid wrote:
You guys are all R riders who do plenty of off-road.

Let's wait to see what some street-fighters post up.

My 82 RD350LC (two stroke, oil injected twin) Got a minimum of 60.... so...?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 2:03 pm

Oh hell...Red has the same bike as mine, and he rides his mostly on pavement. He gets decent averages on his too, on an R. deal

motokid

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 3:06 pm

Look, I'm not saying you guys ride like little old ladies on the way to church, or that I'm riding like Rossi.

I just find it odd that there's such a difference in mpg.

Maybe my EFI unit needs some major remapping?

Maybe I'm not getting all 1.5 gallons of gas in when I fill tank, and I'm off by .2 gallons?

I know I'm very very close to hitting rev limiter in the first three gears almost every time I ride.
I know I'm working my ability to wheelie in first and second all the time.
I know I twist that throttle like I hate it fairly often.

Again...I want more guys with X's to report before I think something is wrong.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 3:18 pm

Hey, it's ok by me, I'm not offended at all. I'm hoping Hoolie or Zed can verify their mpg's as I know they do get good fuel mileage. thumb

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 3:21 pm

motokid wrote:
I know I'm very very close to hitting rev limiter in the first three gears almost every time I ride.
I know I'm working my ability to wheelie in first and second all the time.
I know I twist that throttle like I hate it fairly often.

To quote Adam from the Mythbusters:

"Theres y'er prablem"

Take it easier on the throttle, wheelies aren't all they are cracked up to be, in fact they are illegal (at least here in BC) and the rev limiter REALLY doesn't need to be hit ever, since the bike has more than enough power lower down the RPM scale.

I'm sure if you DON'T ride the bike like you have just stated you do (ie: ride like a normal person) you'll see your MPGs pop up a notch or two... Or three...
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 4:04 pm

I'm not complaining about my gas mileage.

I know how to ride it to get better mpg's.....but that ain't no fun. That's not why I bought the X.

I've never heard of anybody getting 82 mpg, or even in the 70's.

So, this being a discussion board I decided to discuss it. Gas Milage - Page 2 61865

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 4:13 pm

Tibarus wrote:
and the rev limiter REALLY doesn't need to be hit ever, since the bike has more than enough power lower down the RPM scale.

More than enough power is highly subjective.

I came from over 20 years of riding sport bikes. My FZR400 redlined at 14,000 and I lived in the 10,000 to 14,000 rpm area for 15 years.
The last bike I had before the X was an R1. 150 rwhp and a redline of 11,500 I think.

So.....during the first month or so of riding the piss out of my X I had to really learn to "hear" where the rev limiter was.

From 4 cylinder sportbikes with tachometers, to a single SUMO (with under 30rwhp) with the world's shittiest speedometer and no tach.... I hit the rev limiter plenty.

Now I'm very consistent at getting to within a second of hitting the limiter in first, second, and third without watching the speedo at all.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 4:15 pm

motokid wrote:
I'm not complaining about my gas mileage.

I know how to ride it to get better mpg's.....but that ain't no fun. That's not why I bought the X.

I've never heard of anybody getting 82 mpg, or even in the 70's.

So, this being a discussion board I decided to discuss it. Gas Milage - Page 2 61865

Yeah, if you ride the WR... or any bike for that matter, that hard, you're only gonna get 50-60 mpg, maybe less. Riding it down to 56 or less to me... it defeats the purpose of buying a WR, or any bike under 400cc's since the big selling point that I've ALWAYS seen people bring up for why they bought the bike was "amazing fuel mileage", or something to that point.

Another reason not to ride the bike like that, other than REALLY not being necessary (the bike has more than enough power well below the rev limit) is that riding anything that hard just invites premature engine wear...

But whatever, ride how you feel you should. thumb

As for having 20 years of exp? If that is the case you should know how to pop the front tire off the ground better than you know how to breath.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 4:21 pm

I roadraced. I did not stunt. Having an FZR400 and racing it was all about corner speed.

The R1 was way too much power for fun. Redline in first gear was 72 mph.

I started a thread at SMJ about gas mileage for Wr's.

Wr250x/r Mileage <-- click here

At least two other X owners are getting much closer to my mpg's. Gas Milage - Page 2 93746

And I've never heard of anybody in my circle of motorcycle owners talk about buying a motorcycle for the gas mileage.

Freedom, speed, cornering, acceleration, hooliganism, SUMO, motocross.....never mpg's.

Maybe scooter riders are into mpg's.... Gas Milage - Page 2 613970

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 7:28 pm

motokid wrote:
See....I'm reading it the other way. If the bike thinks it's going faster than it really is, then it thinks I'm covering more distance too.

So really I'm getting less than 80 miles per 1.5 gallons of gas.

Wouldn't it work that way?

Yes this is right.
Back to top Go down
bcpaul

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 2:06 am

I did about 120 km round trip. Vernon, BC to Salmon Arm, BC and back. Filled, measured, filled.

GPS measured with a garmin 60csx.
I got 78 MPG (68 w/US gallons).
Did a max speed run on the way -- 82 mph - might have went a few mph faster if I was patient.

Yeah the speedo on mine (i guess all of em) is way out. At a 100km/hr the gps shows 91.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 3:04 am

GPS verified, I've gotten anywhere from 40 to 77mpg (US). The low was from riding 80ish miles, from filling up to dead empty, with the throttle pinned to the stop in 6th gear into a stiff head wind at as fast as I could go speed wise, bike loaded up for the TAT with 50-60 pounds of gear and Dirtbagz+tailbag+camp pad hanging out into the air. The high was also on the TAT, similarly loaded up, on the long run from Boise City, OK to Trinidad, CO. 155 miles, 2.021 gallons when I filled up, averaged 40-50mph I guess.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 5:29 am

bcpaul wrote:

I got 78 MPG (68 w/US gallons).

Holy shit!!!! You made me google.

A Canadian Gallon is not equal to a US Gallon

Quote :
1 Can Gallon = 1.201 U.S. Gallons

We are not comparing apples to apples here folks.

Gas Milage - Page 2 640571

What we have to discuss is distance untill the reserve light comes on.
And then consider corrected speedo, gps, or uncorrected shitty Yamaha odometer.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 6:34 am

click me <--- I started this in the X Specific section quite a while ago.

Check out what Instigator gets. Gas Milage - Page 2 Suspect

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 9:58 am

motokid wrote:

Holy shit!!!! You made me google.

A Canadian Gallon is not equal to a US Gallon

Quote :
1 Can Gallon = 1.201 U.S. Gallons

We are not comparing apples to apples here folks.

This was discussed in another thread. The only reason I didn't bring it up, is i could not substantuate(sp) whether it was true or not. It would make sense but......
Back to top Go down
bcpaul

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 3:49 pm

Yeah its called imperial gallons (british), you yanks use your own "US" gallons, which are smaller -gotta be different.
Back to top Go down
INSTIGATOR

INSTIGATOR

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 6:29 pm

I ride the dogshit out of mine. The key factor here is mods. I've got full exhaust,PC3(with accel pump turned on) K&N,airbox modded,all the flapper,ais, crap removed,and 47T rear sprocket. Yes I have had the speedo corrected and checked with GPS. I do ride off road occasionally, and I'm pretty sure the R's don't ride as hard as I do on the street. I'm not saying I ride like Rossi. But I have done a few trackdays when I had my Kawi 636.

Overall I think my mileage is on par with the way I ride. Gas Milage - Page 2 61865
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 4:29 pm

I just rode a trip from London to Scotland and back over a long weekend (1000miles).
Conditions: All on the highway. Completely stock bike (no mods). Loaded with tankbag, tent, andystrapz.

My fuel consumption breaksdowns as follows (Imperial Gallons):

LowerQuartile: 64.9mpg
Median: 65.9mpg
UpperQuartile: 69.1mpg

Worst: 63.1mpg (this is the figure I wanted to know the most)
Best: 77.6mpg
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 8:18 pm

INSTIGATOR wrote:
I ride the dogshit out of mine. The key factor here is mods. I've got full exhaust,PC3(with accel pump turned on) K&N,airbox modded,all the flapper,ais, crap removed,and 47T rear sprocket. Yes I have had the speedo corrected and checked with GPS. I do ride off road occasionally, and I'm pretty sure the R's don't ride as hard as I do on the street. I'm not saying I ride like Rossi. But I have done a few trackdays when I had my Kawi 636.

Overall I think my mileage is on par with the way I ride. Gas Milage - Page 2 61865

Slightly off topic here but did you notice much difference with the accelerator pump turned on ? What settings / map are ya using ?
Back to top Go down
Sloth

Sloth

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 03, 2009 6:49 pm

The more I ride my bike the lower the gas mileage gets. I started out at 75 MPG then 72 MPG, 68 MPG, now 62 MPG. I know I am riding more agressively and have lowered the air pressure in my tires, but this is ridiculous. If I could factor in wheelspin the mileage would be even worse. Last summer I sold my BMW G650 Xcountry, whigh averaged 75 MPG over the same terrain. I thought the WRR being a 250 and also fuel injected would get a lot better mileage. Boy was I wrong. Is anyone getting over 75 MPG consistently? BTW the WRR is a lot more fun anywhere but the highway.
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 03, 2009 9:14 pm

I've been getting between 65.7-69.5mpg with about 50/50 city & highway riding. (US Gallons)

Last edited by sswrx on Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 9:46 am

I love this bike for partly that reason. Even when I'm crackin on the throttle like I am wringing it's neck, it still gets over 77 consistently. Gas Milage - Page 2 61865

WRoldman

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 10:32 am

bcpaul wrote:
Yeah its called imperial gallons (british), you yanks use your own "US" gallons, which are smaller -gotta be different.

INSTIGATOR wrote:

I don't care so much when it comes to gallons, but I definitely prefer the imperial pints. Gas Milage - Page 2 723941

However, in US gallons, 58 mpg is the best I've gotten. This is all back-road blasting, so the throttle is far from closed. The only perf mod is the flapper...Everything else is stock. The mileage is still better than the R1's.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Gas Milage
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next