Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Gas Milage

Go down 
+20
Akoffroader
Tammy
duanew
Jäger
WRoldman
sswrx
Chrispy1200
edteamslr
INSTIGATOR
skierd
bcpaul
inspector
Sloth
SpiritWolf15
SheWolf
craigq
rydnseek
3KGT_Maddness
motokid
Money$hift
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

Gas Milage - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 10:58 am

SheWolf wrote:
I love this bike for partly that reason. Even when I'm crackin on the throttle like I am wringing it's neck, it still gets over 77 consistently. Gas Milage - Page 3 61865

Is that Imperial gallons or US gallons? If Imperial, I'm scratching my head at how you could do that well with the performance mods and while running the guts out of the thing. The EPA rating for the bike - strictly highway miles - is 71 mpg. US of course. Once you start riding dirt, richening it up with a programmer, etc, that figure is bound to drop.

I screwed up - no surprise with me and math. So my post on mileage should have said this:

sswrx wrote:
I've been getting between 65.7-69.5mpg with about 50/50 city & highway riding.
Gloomily gathering all my WRR papers together as I contemplate the possibility that the weather has put an end to this year's riding, I see my median milage for what could be considered 50/50 rides - meaning 50% dirt/50% slab - is a very consistent 72 MPG (Imperial gallons), 60 MPG (US gallons), or 3.9l/100km.

I don't pay much attention to my odometer for trip distances as I have one of 12oclocklabs speedo healers installed; with the speedometer adjusted to read accurately, 100 km by the GPS is 94.7 km by odometer. So... all distances I use for tracking my fills is via a GPS trip meter independent of the odometer.

Next time I'll just use this a website like this:
http://www.milesgallon.com/

There are many like it... but this one is mine.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 1:16 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Even when I'm crackin on the throttle like I am wringing it's neck, it still gets over 77 consistently. Gas Milage - Page 3 61865

If you're "wringing it's neck" and getting almost 80 mpg, what should those of us that get under 60 mpg's call it?

Gas Milage - Page 3 53647

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 6:36 pm

Riding it wrong? Gas Milage - Page 3 29721 That's a Canadian gallon, just to clarify it.

motokid

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 7:18 am

SheWolf wrote:
Riding it wrong?

Gas Milage - Page 3 911463

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 7:30 am

Gas Milage - Page 3 29721 *laughs* Honestly I don't know what to make of that. Red's got the same setup and he gets good return on his. Wait...no he's also got the PB on his, and the PCIII, and I think he's also still running the stock 13 up front. I know before I modded mine his was tweaked a bit, but still getting a good return. Maybe it's the BC air. Gas Milage - Page 3 810411

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 8:48 am

If you take SheWolf's 77 miles per Canadian gallon and divide it by 1.201 to get the US gallon then she gets 64.113 miles per gallon in US gallons. This is closer to what you would expect to see for people in the US.

Why can't the world decide on a measurement scheme? Even the gallon is different sizes in different countries.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 9:04 am

I started this thread a while ago. It's much more "real world applicable". Gas Milage - Page 3 61865

duanew wrote:
If you take SheWolf's 77 miles per Canadian gallon and divide it by 1.201 to get the US gallon then she gets 64.113 miles per gallon in US gallons. This is closer to what you would expect to see for people in the US.

Why can't the world decide on a measurement scheme? Even the gallon is different sizes in different countries.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Tammy

Tammy

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 10:17 pm

I got the bike new Sat, morning and got right on the freeway to ride to the only place I know I could get into some dirt and not have LEO come after me. 70 miles of freeway and 20 back roads. I keep it at 75 to 80 on the freeway and 60+ on the back roads and my first fill up gave me 58mpg All back roads going 40 to 70 gave me 65mpg I have 700 miles on it today and my fill up gave me 54mpg but I think it would of been better if I could keep the front wheel on the ground a bit more.. If I ride slow I could see 70's but what fun would that be..
Back to top Go down
Akoffroader

PostSubject: milleage   Gas Milage - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 8:32 pm

I've checked my mileage over and over and get right around 60 miles per U.S. gallon riding some 70 mph freeway, some dirt road, some trail.

AK
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: High speed pavement & fat guys..   Gas Milage - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 9:04 pm

Those are the main 2 things that will give your mileage a hit.. my mileage on any bike is better if i stay off the interstate & keep it under 50. It also makes a big difference with how much weight the bike is packing. I would hazard a guess ( guessing women's weight is always a hazard!), that shewolf does not tip 150# on the scales. If she's more like 120, her mileage will always be better.

One of my riding buddies is always frustrated because i get better economy, even when we rode the same bikes (drz's). Now he's on a klx, & i'm on the wr. I ride faster, & still get better economy when we fill up. Geared up, he is (ahem...) over 220#. I'm closer to 160. That 60# or so makes a real difference. When we fill up at the gas station, if i get 1 gallon, he gets 1.4, etc.

So what do i get? using gps miles, i have been in the mid 60's most of the time. long easy pavements or graded dirt i've gotten in the 70's. If i do some stretches on the freeway.. 65+, it drops to the low 60's.

Still pretty good, imo. I was pretty happy with the 50's on my drz & have picked up 10mpg with the wr. another positive note for the change.

scotty Gas Milage - Page 3 635601
Back to top Go down
Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 2:22 am

rydnseek wrote:
...... Geared up, he is (ahem...) over 220#. I'm closer to 160. That 60# or so makes a real difference. When we fill up at the gas station, if i get 1 gallon, he gets 1.4, etc.

Another reason I "only" netted ~52 mpg this past weekend.......I'm easily ~250# + once I'm all geared up.....
Back to top Go down
Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 11:46 pm

Rode the little Yami to work today because I was curious to see what the MPG would be if I used the bike as a mellow "commuter scooter" riding nothing but pavement. Gas Milage - Page 3 Eek7 Gas Milage - Page 3 Mwink

Net result was better than expected: ~80 miles/~1.2 gallons = ~67mpg Gas Milage - Page 3 Deal Gas Milage - Page 3 61865
Back to top Go down
PonchoV

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 11:32 am

I'm not an eco rider. Bought this x to replace my KLR-650. Dressed I'm about 140 lb.
Everyone I ride w/ is on more cylinders & more than double the cc #s. Except the DRz 400 riders, 2. I eat no sand from any one unless someone gets lucky. The mod up 400 is the off line king & wlo a doubt a finer rider, but a big guy..6'4" 240.
No one care hoot about MPG until some one hits RES. That is always me. But I carry a rotopack so no leeching from the 6 gal KLR tankers. In this spirited riding goup (US gallons), my stock geared x earns 60-65 mpg.
Out in the city or county roads 72-75 mpg. 40-60 mph. up & down the gears.
Use only premium grade fuel & add a booster every other tank.
Have kenda 270s on both ends. Don't know about speedo error.
Have the FMF programer at the lowest #s setting for the first three lights.
Cut the little valve out of the exhaust pipe & removed the plumbing from under the left front side, glued down the flapper. Keep a clean air filter in after every 400 miles.
Usually stay off the interstates, or start looking for a fuel station soon.

I'd think that the rider size (on these little cc bikes) plays a big part in the mpg.
I alway earned much better mpg when riding the KLR-650 than the other guys & gals.
I have to say that since adding the rotopack to the front of my X there has been a slight drop in street mpg. I think this is due to the increase in air drag.
Back to top Go down
Sloth

Sloth

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 12:25 pm

My bike is all stock except for a GYTR exhaust and I weigh 180. Mileage has varied from 62 to 80 mpg. Tire pressure seems to make a huge difference as well as riding style. The 80 mpg, which I achieved twice, was during "grandpa" rides on the Gold Camp road from Colorado Springs to Victor and back. It is an old railroad grade so no steep hills or sharp curves. I aired up (upper twenties) and putted along between 30 and 50 mph in 5th and 6th gears. The 62 mpg was on an off road ride with a lot of ups and downs and corners to brake into and blast out of. The tire pressure was around 12 and I was riding on Dunlop intermediate terrain M/X tires. This mileage variation is the same as with my former BMW G650Xcountry which is disapointing as the BMW weighs about 60lbs more and has twice the power.
Back to top Go down
Pancho

Pancho

PostSubject: first ride   Gas Milage - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 1:22 pm

On my first ride, 230km (143miles), brand new wrr, easy on the gas, heavy wind, mostly all of gravel roads, made 220km (137 miles with a full tank, the red light turned on at 160km (100miles), and when the fuel counter was at 60km (37 miles) the bike run out of gas.
All those readings according to the bike odometer, according to my GPS, total trip 217km (135miles). Also I found that with stock bridgestones tires, the speedometer reading was 10km/h higher than the GPS, almost from 0 to 130km/h kept the same difference.
So according to bike odometer, MPG: 64
L/100km: 3.7
km*L: 27
Back to top Go down
hughtwg

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 7:01 pm

Chased my sportbike buddies on my X today and got about 57 mpg. Lots of 70-85mph indicated with lots of throttle on twisty hilly roads. Best has been 68 and worst about 53 which I think was the first tank. I have 1000 miles on the bike now and it's stock with the air flapper mod and I weigh about 210 lbs in gear.

Hugh
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gas Milage   Gas Milage - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Gas Milage
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3