Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

adding electrical outlet.....

Go down 
+2
wjfawb0
sophijo
6 posters
AuthorMessage
sophijo

adding electrical outlet..... Empty
PostSubject: adding electrical outlet.....   adding electrical outlet..... EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 11:11 am

On what part of the electrical system should I add and outlet to charge phone and GPS? Should I include a fuse-able link? Supplier for electrical parts?
Thanks
Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: adding electrical outlet.....   adding electrical outlet..... EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 12:14 pm

I don't have specific experience with the WRR, but on most bikes the easiest way is to connect directly to the battery.  Yes it does need a fuse, if only to protect the wires in case of a short circuit.  HERE is a typical kit.
Back to top Go down
wjfawb0

PostSubject: Re: adding electrical outlet.....   adding electrical outlet..... EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 1:58 pm

Usually to the battery terminals, and usually with a fuse.  Eastern Beaver has some good switched products with a relay, or you can go unswitched for simplicity.

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/Fuseboxes/3_Circuit/3_circuit.html

The owner of Eastern Beaver has a WR250R, and he posted pics of his with his fuse holder and relay for 3 power points in the last couple days:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24634450&postcount=43445

On my last WR250R I bought a fuse holder at walmart and installed some ring lugs to screw it to the battery terminals.  I had ring lugs on the free end that I could screw down to a 200W inverter.  That gave me 12VDC in a car socket as well as 120VAC for small items.  I had enough wire for this to hang from the helmet lock.  When I had a bag on the back, I could stick it in the bag to charge cell phones, GPS, etc.

Picture:

adding electrical outlet..... 2010_6_10_WR250R_05
Back to top Go down
sophijo

PostSubject: Thanks!   adding electrical outlet..... EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 2:17 pm

Eastern Beaver it is!
Back to top Go down
emdavis197

emdavis197

PostSubject: Re: adding electrical outlet.....   adding electrical outlet..... EmptyFri Aug 08, 2014 4:16 pm

I took the simple approach here. Radio shack 12v power outlet wired direct to battery with inline fuse, tucked away nicely on the top triple clamp. My thread is HERE. Very easy job.
Eric
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: adding electrical outlet.....   adding electrical outlet..... EmptyTue Aug 12, 2014 8:46 am

I also added a Radio Shack terminal block, powered directly from the battery but switched with a relay pulling off the running lights.

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t8467-winterizing-the-wrx-hand-guards-heated-grips-and-more

If I did it again, I think I would go with the Eastern Beaver kit. It cost a bit more, but is very clean and simple.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: adding electrical outlet.....   adding electrical outlet..... EmptyTue Aug 12, 2014 10:34 am

I have used Eastern Beaver stuff in the past on my bikes - good stuff.

Also found a company in the US that I have ordered some bike electrical stuff from too:

http://www.cycleterminal.com/index.html
Back to top Go down
mollycbr123

PostSubject: Re: adding electrical outlet.....   adding electrical outlet..... EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 7:48 am

Fused SAE connector wired to battery for me.  Cost about $3, and can connect battery charger, heated gear, cell phone, gps, tire pump, etc.  I have one on every bike.  Keep it simple, especially on an off road bike.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: adding electrical outlet.....   adding electrical outlet..... Empty

Back to top Go down

adding electrical outlet.....
Page 1 of 1