Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????

Go down 
+3
ajsalida
rsteiger
motokid
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
motokid
motokid

Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????  Empty
PostSubject: Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????    Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????  EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 5:31 am

Anyone here have a PC-V and get at least 60 (US) miles per gallon? Can you go 90 miles or more before the light comes on telling you there's only a 1/2 gallon of fuel left?

I have noticed in the last few months my range has decreased about 10-15 miles between lights. (stock gas tank)

I used to go at least 70-75 miles per tank before my light would come on.

Now I'm seeing that light at, or just above 60 miles.  baldy 

I know this could be about the percentage of ethanol in the gas, which means there's nothing I can do, but I'm pretty sure it isn't 100% about my throttle hand either.

If you're getting 60, 65, or 70 (US) mpg and have a PC-V, could you please share your map with me???  Very happy 

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????    Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????  EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 5:54 am

motokid wrote:
Anyone here have a PC-V and get at least 60 (US) miles per gallon?  Can you go 90 miles or more before the light comes on telling you there's only a 1/2 gallon of fuel left?

I have noticed in the last few months my range has decreased about 10-15 miles between lights.  (stock gas tank)

I used to go at least 70-75 miles per tank before my light would come on.

Now I'm seeing that light at, or just above 60 miles.  baldy 

I know this could be about the percentage of ethanol in the gas, which means there's nothing I can do, but I'm pretty sure it isn't 100% about my throttle hand either.

If you're getting 60, 65, or 70 (US) mpg and have a PC-V, could you please share your map with me???  Very happy 

With my old map I was barely breaking 50mpg.. but then I am a 250 lb guy.

Did you try the FMF map off the PCV site?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????    Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????  EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 6:42 am

Using the 22-016-006

"Leo Vince, spark arrestor removed, airbox lid removed, stock air filter"

I've also tried some custom maps from a few riders here with Autotune.

I think I'm gonna load the -002 map next.

"stock exhaust, airbox lid removed, stock air filter" and see what that does.

I weigh 155 lbs.  dunno 

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????    Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????  EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 10:29 am

So you haven't ran the 009 map yet (Full FMF Exhaust , Stock airfilter)?

I am currently running the 002 with the stock exhaust and my modified airbox.  Like it so far but still haven't been able to get some fuel economy numbers yet since I have been lending the bike out to a friend and he keeps bringing it back with a full tank.

I was going to attach all the PVC maps to this note but my Forum skills are lacking at this moment.

So here is a link instead:

http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/powercommander_maps_installs_product_buy_options.aspx?mdlyrid=22-016&make=28&model=96&make-n=Yamaha&model-n=WR250X/R&year=2012&mk=28&mdl=96&yr=2012
Back to top Go down
ajsalida

PostSubject: Re: Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????    Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????  EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 8:02 am

I am running PC5 + AT, full FMF Q4 + megabomb header.  Ultimate airbox mod, K&N, flapper & AIS removed, etc.  Started with base map 009.  Getting over 70 mpg, 210 lb rider.  High altitude, above 8k ft ASL.

The standard out of the box AT AFR targets are very rich IMHO (like 13.2 or less).  Have mine set up now with lower % throttle and RPM's @ 13.5 and gradually tapering down to 13.2 WOT and high RPM's.  Runs great.  The AT is taking fuel out at lower RPM's and loads and adding it mid/higher as one would expect.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????    Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????  EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 8:45 am

WOW!!!!!

I'm basically at sea level, and I don't have auto-tune, but I'm gonna load that -009 map before I ride again and see what that feels like.

I wonder if that map was added recently?  dunno  I don't recall seeing that option the last time I went to the PC website.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
ajsalida

PostSubject: Re: Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????    Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????  EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 9:46 am

I would think if you are seeing a sudden drop in MPG, using the same map, then it might be something other than the map at fault.

MPG did not drop much from before all the mods, mainly because the type of riding I do does not demand a lot of WOT and tapping into the extra power a lot.  And I have never spent a great part of one tank at WOT.  Nice to have it when needed but I also think the engine does not have to work as hard, not so strangled and can breath better, so I am into the throttle much less than I would have been.

For example it was hard to get the bike over 60 MPH at high altitude on the HWY, bike just ran out of steam.  First time I put the PCV + AT on after all the mods, was out testing and letting the AT adapt, I got pulled over by HWY patrol for speeding, 75MPH.  At 8k ft.  Pretty funny, just got a warning but bike had never gone that fast in its life.  Told the trooper that and probably part of why I only got a warning.

Now if I spent a whole tank going 75MPH, I doubt I'd get over 70 MPG.
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????    Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????  EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 1:18 pm

pcv
autotune
IMS 3 gallon tank

I'm getting up to 150 before light comes on.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????    Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????  EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 2:27 pm

I'm aware that a change in my mpg with nothing else changing regarding my PC-V settings points to the issue being something else.

I kinda like futzing with my programmer setting some and if someone is getting 70+ mpg using a PC-V I want to try that setting and see what I find.

I've never really gotten above 55 mpg even with my Attitude Industry programmer I used to have.

I just loaded the -009 map a few minutes ago.
I'll report back when I run through a full tank of gas with the new map.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????    Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????  EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 4:37 pm

I get mid 60's on relatively mild trail riding, I don't do much pavement, but two weeks ago I did a spirited 190 miles that included ~40 miles of 75mph I-17 hills & got 54 on that ride.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????    Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????  EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 6:44 am

First impression of the -009 map was quite good.

No off-idle stumbles, no hiccups or back firing anywhere in any rev range. Felt good. Felt crisp.

The description for the -009 map is "full FmF exhaust, stock air filter"

I do not have a full FmF system, I do have a stock air filter, and I do have the air box door removed.

I wonder if the trade-off there is roughly equal?  dunno 

At any rate, I'll fill tank with gas this afternoon on my way home from work and see where my low fuel light turns on next.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????    Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????  EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 7:25 am

motokid wrote:

No off-idle stumbles, no hiccups or back firing anywhere in any rev range. Felt good. Felt crisp.

I do not have a full FmF system, I do have a stock air filter,  and I do have the air box door removed.

At any rate, I'll fill tank with gas this afternoon on my way home from work and see where my low fuel light turns on next.

I think 4Play mentioned somewhere that during some Dynotesting they figured out the stock WRR header offered better performance than the aftermarket headers. I guess part of that is how you define better - like all the gains on the top end versus spread through the rev range.

In the end I don't think those few little differences will matter that much. Right now I am running the Stock Exhaust and The Ultimate Air Box mod with the stock airbox and exhaust PCV map. Very nice performance.

I have often wonder about pulling the airbox door and I know some folks are concerned about water crossings. If you look at the intake tract on the WRR it actually heads up out of the airbox. On my Beta and KTM the whole side of the airbox was pretty much open and I did many water crossings without an issue.
Back to top Go down
ajsalida

PostSubject: Re: Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????    Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????  EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 7:58 am

motokid wrote:

I do not have a full FmF system, I do have a stock air filter,  and I do have the air box door removed.

Good news. Have you enabled the accel pump feature?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????    Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????  EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 8:21 am

ajsalida wrote:

Good news.  Have you enabled the accel pump feature?

The what? Where? Huh?  hide 

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
ajsalida

PostSubject: Re: Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????    Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????  EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 8:41 am

motokid wrote:
ajsalida wrote:

Good news.  Have you enabled the accel pump feature?

The what? Where? Huh?  hide 

Up in one of the menus in the PC5 software is a "feature enable" thing, you go there and find "accel pump", click a box, opens another menus to set parameters for a simulated accelerator pump.  It adds fuel on throttle opening transients like a carb accel pump.  You can set a sensitivity threshold, # of revs, and % enrichment.  I was asking more for the mileage issue, maybe someone had set that too high.  But it is a nice feature esp on a small displacement bike that gets a lot of throttle back and forth.  Cures a lot of throttle hiccups on other bikes (I have PC5 + AT on 2 other bikes).

I have mine set at 80, 20, 15 wrt above parameters and makes a noticeable difference in overall feel of the bike.  Does not seem to interfere with the AT (or mileage) though I wonder how all that works.

BTW the mileage thing, I have found the reserve tank light comes on at very different times, and esp when low and leaning over.  So (just checking) your mileage calc I hope is off the odometer + indicated pump amt + repeatable fill at fill ups.  Right now I have an IMS 3.1 gal tank on it and light comes on anywhere from 1/2 to 1 gal left, esp if I lean it over while running at all. And then I have to be very precise when I fill up to get accurate measurement.  I carry a wood block to put the kick stand on to get the bike close to vertical at fill up.

Last edited by ajsalida on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ajsalida

PostSubject: Re: Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????    Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????  EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 9:03 am

One more thing, do you still have the EXUP valve in place?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????    Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????  EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 9:53 am

1) Don't have EXUP - Have FmF Q4 Slip-on

2) Gas mileage has been "off" for months and months. Not just one tank. I also always pay attention to how much fuel is needed to fill tank. I have a stock tank so I always put in between 1.5 and 1.8 gallons on most fill-ups.

3) I'll have to check my software when I get home. I bought the PC-V used, and really do nothing but upload a map to computer, then download it to bike and ride. So whatever the default settings are with software is what I have going right now.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
ajsalida

PostSubject: Re: Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????    Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????  EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 11:10 am

Yea I was grasping at straws. Couldn't remember if the EXUP was in the header or muffler, I have the megabomb and Q4. Hope you get it figured out.
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????    Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????  EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 1:40 pm

ajsalida wrote:
I would think if you are seeing a sudden drop in MPG, using the same map, then it might be something other than the map at fault.

MPG did not drop much from before all the mods, mainly because the type of riding I do does not demand a lot of WOT and tapping into the extra power a lot.  And I have never spent a great part of one tank at WOT.  Nice to have it when needed but I also think the engine does not have to work as hard, not so strangled and can breath better, so I am into the throttle much less than I would have been.

For example it was hard to get the bike over 60 MPH at high altitude on the HWY, bike just ran out of steam.  First time I put the PCV + AT on after all the mods, was out testing and letting the AT adapt, I got pulled over by HWY patrol for speeding, 75MPH.  At 8k ft.  Pretty funny, just got a warning but bike had never gone that fast in its life.  Told the trooper that and probably part of why I only got a warning.

Now if I spent a whole tank going 75MPH, I doubt I'd get over 70 MPG.

Does anyone get better than 60mpg on a 75mph cruise? Mine cruises 75 (actual) much better than it did stock, but even when it was stock pushing that much air the mpg suffered. I would believe 70 mpg cruising 55mph or so, but not 75 unless there was a helluva tail wind.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????    Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????  EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 1:49 pm

4play wrote:

Does anyone get better than 60mpg on a 75mph cruise?

If I had'a guess.....I'd say

Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????  Norway1

Very happy 

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????    Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????  EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 4:17 pm

ajsalida wrote:

Up in one of the menus in the PC5 software is a "feature enable" thing, you go there and find "accel pump", click a box, opens another menus to set parameters for a simulated accelerator pump.  

I can't find this option anywhere.

I googled and everything regarding accel pumps points to the PCiii, not the PC-V.

Or - states that feature is for carbs, not fuel injection.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????    Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????  EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 4:27 pm

With it hooked up to the PCV go to configure
Back to top Go down
ajsalida

PostSubject: Re: Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????    Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????  EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 4:28 pm

motokid wrote:
ajsalida wrote:

Up in one of the menus in the PC5 software is a "feature enable" thing, you go there and find "accel pump", click a box, opens another menus to set parameters for a simulated accelerator pump.  

I can't find this option anywhere.

I googled and everything regarding accel pumps points to the PCiii, not the PC-V.

Or - states that feature is for carbs, not fuel injection.

It's there keep looking. Look under "power commander tools" and then "configure".  Then look at the tutorial below, note where it says "accel pump", you wan to check that box, then click on "configue" and enter the numbers.  Dynojet documentation sucks beyond belief...

http://motorhead.jactup.com/-%20TECH%20-/Power%20Commander%205/installed/Help/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm#context=PCVHelp&file=2_WorkPCV.2.32.html

edit: Pc3 had a accel pump utility for some PC3's, it was a stand-alone separate app you download and then works with Pc3.  Only available on certain bikes, for example not on a R1150GS BMW.

Last edited by ajsalida on Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
ajsalida

PostSubject: Re: Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????    Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????  EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 4:29 pm

4play wrote:

Correct, PC has to be hooked up to the PC5 on the bike and bike power on.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????    Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????  EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 4:35 pm

ajsalida wrote:
4play wrote:

Correct, PC has to be hooked up to the PC5 on the bike and bike power on.

That explains it. I'll give it a shot when I have the time. Thanks.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????    Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????  Empty

Back to top Go down

Who has a PCV and gets 60+ mpg ????
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Technical :: Pipes 'n Programmers-
Jump to: