Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Low end power

Go down 
+4
YZEtc
tawheed
motokid
Sloth
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Sloth

Sloth

Low end power Empty
PostSubject: Low end power   Low end power EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 1:00 pm

I just bought a WRR last week and am enjoying it but it seems to have no power under 8MPH. It is a used bike and the previous owner had a GYTR slip-on exhaust put on at the dealer which eliminated the ExUp valve. Does anyone know if this significantly reduces low RPM power? My previous trail bike was a '03XR250R and it could tractor up the gnarly hills. On the WRR I have to gas it and go which is okay some of the time but throw in a sharp turn on the hill and it doesn't work. Any ideas on how to get more low end out of these bikes?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Low end power Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low end power   Low end power EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 1:13 pm

Sloth wrote:
I just bought a WRR last week and am enjoying it but it seems to have no power under 8MPH. It is a used bike and the previous owner had a GYTR slip-on exhaust put on at the dealer which eliminated the ExUp valve. Does anyone know if this significantly reduces low RPM power? My previous trail bike was a '03XR250R and it could tractor up the gnarly hills. On the WRR I have to gas it and go which is okay some of the time but throw in a sharp turn on the hill and it doesn't work. Any ideas on how to get more low end out of these bikes?

re-gear Low end power 61865

12 tooth front sprocket to start.....although that'll make that mess that's a speedometer even more inaccurate.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Sloth

Sloth

Low end power Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low end power   Low end power EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 4:35 pm

Yes a 12 tooth would give it more power at low speeds but does anyone know if there is a way to get more low RPM power from the engine? Anyone else have a GYTR slip on with no other mods and did it help or hurt? The previous owner says it helped the power throughout, from down low to higher RPMs. I am wondering, if I replaced the stock exhaust would it have more power at low RPMs.
Back to top Go down
tawheed

Low end power Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low end power   Low end power EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 7:33 pm

hmm, dude the way I see it there's only so much "low end" power to be had from such a small displacement motor..
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Low end power Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low end power   Low end power EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 7:48 pm

The WR-250R is street-legal while the XR-250R was not, so the WR is corked-up with silly EPA regulations.
It's also geared to the moon (very tall), also for silly sounds test criteria.

Go to the Sweet Mods forum and read-up on the airbox flapper elimination, fuel injection programmers, and what sprockets are popular.

Just regearing to something like the XR had (probably something like a 50-tooth sprocket on the rear) will help quite a bit.
I've got the airbox flapper elimination, full FMF exhaust, FMF Power Programmer, and 12/45 sprockets, and there's enough low end to putt along at crawling speeds. :)
Back to top Go down
ADVJake

Low end power Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low end power   Low end power EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 6:13 am

eliminating the EXUP valve and adding a slip on, you actually lose low end power.

put the stock exhaust and EXUP back on, and its much better. i really didnt like the bike with the FMF pipe on.

also, i dont think this bike will ever have the low end torque of the XR250. The WRR is tuned for mid-top end power.
Back to top Go down
skierd

Low end power Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low end power   Low end power EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 9:24 pm

Two things can be done.

1) Change the gearing. The motor, with stock gearing, won't run slow enough for real technical stuff. With 13/47 gears (and D606's) I can roll around at 5mph comfortable and tractor around all I want.

2) Change your riding style. This motor like to be revved, keep the rpms up and have at in a lower gear maybe?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Low end power Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low end power   Low end power EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 9:41 pm

I've got the 12 on the front and I have lots of grunt. I can ride over stumps and logs and rocks without a hiccup, which is nice where there isn't an actual trail. eeek

SpiritWolf15

Low end power Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low end power   Low end power EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 11:32 am

SheWolf wrote:
I've got the 12 on the front and I have lots of grunt. I can ride over stumps and logs and rocks without a hiccup, which is nice where there isn't an actual trail. eeek

Oh hell, like the one we were on... That was horrible...

But yeah, your little R2 had no shortage of umph, your were spinning that rear tire free a good number of times.

I agree with Shewolf on this one, get a 12 T front. Speaking of smaller fronts... do any exist for a 95 XT350? wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Low end power Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low end power   Low end power Empty

Back to top Go down

Low end power
Page 1 of 1