Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today Empty
PostSubject: Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today   Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 7:18 pm

I rebuilt my rear shock today and installed a Race Tech gold Valve Kit and a new rear spring for my weight. I do not have a ride report, the down side of winter projects is you have to wait for better weather to test them out.

This is the first time I ever rebuilt a rear shock. I did a lot of watching videos and internet searching and was confident that I could do it.

OneLaager's, sticky thread was a big help, thanks thumb

One really cool thing is I took my bike over to my friend and riding partner’s bike shop. 1 Cycle Parts in York Springs, PA.  Its really nice to work with your bike on a lift and have a killer set of tools.

I bought a Race Tech needle to bleed the air out of the bladder. I drilled and tapped the reservoir cap and  installed a 1/8” NPT Schrader Valve. I think I’ll put the Race Tech needle in the for sale section later.

Disassembly was easy, the two clips were a pain to remove, reservoir cap and seal head. And picking out the 40 shims from the 80 plus shims took some time. Other than that I think shock rebuilding is easy, just time consuming.
Assembly was easy, just messy. I’m sure if I did this a few more times I’ll find some more tricks to bleed the air out of the shock when assembling.

Next, I have a set of gold valves for the forks. And I really can’t wait to go on a nice ride and dial everything in.

Last edited by TwoBuells on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today   Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 8:09 am

I have one in my shock too.

When you get a chance to ride it your gonna like it. thumb
Back to top Go down
Gath3r13

Gath3r13

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today   Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 10:36 am

What did you end up paying for the Gold Valve Kit? You buy direct form RaceTech?
Back to top Go down
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today   Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 12:46 pm

Gath3r13 wrote:
What did you end up paying for the Gold Valve Kit? You buy direct form RaceTech?

$139.00 from Amazon and the needle also.

I did buy a new rear spring and collars from Race Tech along with a Gold Valve Kit for the forks that I'm installing next weekend.

I have a little trickel of oil coming from the seal head, I must have nicked it, I bought a new one from from Amazon

I was leaking air around the newly installed Schrader valve, I used teflon tape the first time, Now I have pipe compound on the threads and its holding air now. I also needed to add some air then tighten the schrader some more, adding air stopped the res cap from turning.

I REALLY can't wait to ride it baldy
Back to top Go down
Gath3r13

Gath3r13

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today   Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 5:20 pm

Thanks for the info...

Another quick question. Race Tech calls out a part number of SMGV 4633 for the G3-LD Shock Gold Valve Kit (Next Generation Low Deflection) .

When I search Amazon for that Part Number I get this.

http://www.amazon.com/Race-Tech-Gold-Valve-Shock/dp/B00AC6YB52/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422911468&sr=8-1&keywords=Race+Tech++SMGV+4633

Sold by Powersport Superstore for $133.00 with free shipping.
But the Amazon part is labelled - Race Tech Gold Valve Shock Kit - Standard/40mm SMGV4633

My concerns are where is says Standard/40mm. I ended up calling Race Tech and asking them, and they wondered why it said Standard/40mm but also said that if the part number matches it should be correct.

I may feel better about buying from Race Tech, but i happen to have some Amazon gift cards.

Do you happen to have a link to where you purchased your kit from on amazon?

..am I over thinking this lol
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today   Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 5:52 pm

Gath3r13 wrote:
Thanks for the info...

Another quick question. Race Tech calls out a part number of SMGV 4633  for the G3-LD Shock Gold Valve Kit (Next Generation Low Deflection) .

When I search Amazon for that Part Number I get this.

http://www.amazon.com/Race-Tech-Gold-Valve-Shock/dp/B00AC6YB52/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422911468&sr=8-1&keywords=Race+Tech++SMGV+4633

Sold by Powersport Superstore for $133.00 with free shipping.
But the Amazon part is labelled - Race Tech Gold Valve Shock Kit - Standard/40mm SMGV4633

My concerns are where is says Standard/40mm. I ended up calling Race Tech and asking them, and they wondered why it said Standard/40mm but also said that if the part number matches it should be correct.

I may feel better about buying from Race Tech, but i happen to have some Amazon gift cards.

Do you happen to have a link to where you purchased your kit from on amazon?

..am I over thinking this lol

Yep
Back to top Go down
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today   Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 6:42 pm

thats the one

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Race%20Tech%20SMGV%204633

I just went with the Race Tech part number

the shock is a Soqi 46mm body with a 41mm reservoir
Back to top Go down
Gath3r13

Gath3r13

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today   Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today EmptySat Feb 07, 2015 3:48 pm

I ended up talking to the folks selling this at Powersports Superstore.
They recommended I did not buy it for my 2013 wr250r. lol

Maybe I was over thinking it... but I think Ill buy directly form Race Tech.

Back to top Go down
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today   Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 12:51 am

Gath3r13 wrote:

Maybe I was over thinking it... but I think Ill buy directly form Race Tech.

yes you are.....
Race Tech is going to sell you SMGV4633 for full retail, I'd go with saving money dunno
Back to top Go down
Gath3r13

Gath3r13

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today   Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 10:00 pm

I want to save money... I just don't understand how the same part is listed everywhere for different models except for our WRR's.
I mean christ, I called the people selling it, and they talked me out of buying it....

Here's one at Ebay.. Says it fits KTM 500 and not wrr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Race-Tech-Gold-Valve-Shock-Kit-Standard-40Mm-Smgv4633-Shk-Ktm-85-13140298-/331467512335?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AKTM%7CModel%3A550%7CSubmodel%3AMXC&hash=item4d2d00da0f&vxp=mtr#vi-ilComp

Here it is again at Denis Kirk fitment specifying Hussberg... I put in wrr and it says it does not fit my bike.

https://www.denniskirk.com/race-tech/40mm-gold-valve-shock-kit.p584936.prd/584936.sku

I found another one at slomotoparts and that one was listed as only fitting Yamaha TTR.

I don't mean to hijack your thread and i'm glad its working for you. I just find it odd and thought I would share.

Back to top Go down
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today   Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 10:56 pm

amazon even though Amazon's site said it does not fit the WRR, It did say it was Race Tech part # SMGV4633
So I checked Race Tech's web site and it said SMGV4633 fits the WRR,  deal
so I bought it. and installed it, it fits.
$129.38 Powersport Superstore vs $169.99 Race Tech

good luck

lurk

oh yes the same gold valve kit fits a KTM 85
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today   Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today EmptyTue Feb 10, 2015 7:13 am

Gath3r13 wrote:
I want to save money... I just don't understand how the same part is listed everywhere for different models except for our WRR's.

It's probably due to the guy or guys who actually sit down in front of their PC (computer) to post the ads having not done a ton of work to find out exactly what bikes this part will and will not fit.
In other words:
Product knowledge.
Nobody's going to know everything about every product, and, lots of guys doing this work are just average guys, not some kind of motorcycle wizard.

Similar to how a company selling a product for dirt bikes will not be aware of the Yamaha models designated WR250R and WR250F, and not realizing they are different bikes.
Back to top Go down
Gath3r13

Gath3r13

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today   Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today EmptyTue Feb 10, 2015 11:24 am

I hear what you both are saying. I just don't buy shit on a whim, and when I looked into this part I got different info. I appreciate your guys input.

I'll go with the savings a purchase online.
Back to top Go down
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today   Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today EmptyTue Feb 10, 2015 6:51 pm

Gath3r13 wrote:
I hear what you both are saying. I just don't buy shit on a whim, and when I looked into this part I got different info. I appreciate your guys input.

I'll go with the savings a purchase online.

on Amazon now for 129.38.
When I buy stuff for my bikes on the internet I research the snot out of everything.

as long as it says SMGV4633 it will work, I installed mine and it was easy.
one thing i did notice I did not have to grind off the nut on the top of the shaft. It was just a locknut.

If you drill your reservoir cap and install a schrader valve, use pipe compound to seal it and you really have to tighten it well or it will leak. I did have to fill the shock with air to really tighten the schrader valve the reservoir cap would spin when I tried to tighten it.

If you have any questions, just ask, I follow this site alot
Back to top Go down
Gath3r13

Gath3r13

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today   Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today EmptyFri Feb 13, 2015 3:23 pm

Ordered! $128.69 & FREE Shipping

Can we discuss the schrader valve? Why this one over others?

Back to top Go down
Gath3r13

Gath3r13

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today   Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today EmptyFri Feb 13, 2015 4:04 pm

Gath3r13 wrote:

Disregard. Seems to be the goto valve.
Back to top Go down
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today   Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today EmptyFri Feb 13, 2015 9:19 pm

Gath3r13 wrote:
Gath3r13 wrote:

Disregard. Seems to be the goto valve.

lots easier to work with, the needle is a PIA to work with plus will cost you 30 bucks just to get one and you can only fill the shock off the bike.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today   Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today Empty

Back to top Go down

Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve in rear shock today
Page 1 of 1