Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Starts fine, but no power/won't go over 15mph

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SS1985

Starts fine, but no power/won't go over 15mph Empty
PostSubject: Starts fine, but no power/won't go over 15mph   Starts fine, but no power/won't go over 15mph EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 5:12 pm

Hey All,

I have an '08 250r and I absolutely love it.  I bought it used and have put about 6k miles on it (12k total on the bike).  Yesterday I hopped onto the highway and quickly lost power and the bike slowed to a top speed of about 15mph.  I stopped and checked everything I know how to check (oil level, air filter, coolant, etc).  Everything looked fine so I limped it home.  

Initially I thought it was a fuel pump issue because I have read quite a bit about the issues (especially on '08) and have never replaced mine.  However, it has never had a problem starting, and it always makes the whirring fuel priming sound when I turn it on.  So I'm thinking it might be a fuel pump issue.  I replaced the spark plug hoping that would help but it's still doing the same thing.  

Again, here is a list of the things I've checked:
-oil level (recently changed and full)
-coolant
-air filter (recently cleaned)
-changed spark plug

Any other ideas out there?  I haven't siphoned out the fuel yet, but I have been riding it a lot lately and hasn't sat at all with the fuel so I don't think that is the issue.  As mentioned I did change the oil and clean the air filter about 50 miles before this issue started happening.  Did I screw something up there?

Thanks a bunch!  And happy 4th!!

sam
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Starts fine, but no power/won't go over 15mph   Starts fine, but no power/won't go over 15mph EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 5:22 pm

Sounds like a dirty fuel filter or injector to me.
Back to top Go down
Corycy

PostSubject: Re: Starts fine, but no power/won't go over 15mph   Starts fine, but no power/won't go over 15mph EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 5:34 pm

Have you tried disconnecting the battery? I feel like mine did the same thing years ago and it was some kind of limp mode. This may bring it out of limp mode but might not cure why it went into limp mode to begin with. If I recall mine went into limp mode because my battery was nearly dead.
Back to top Go down
SS1985

PostSubject: Re: Starts fine, but no power/won't go over 15mph   Starts fine, but no power/won't go over 15mph EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 8:42 pm

Corycy wrote:
Have you tried disconnecting the battery? I feel like mine did the same thing years ago and it was some kind of limp mode. This may bring it out of limp mode but might not cure why it went into limp mode to begin with. If I recall mine went into limp mode because my battery was nearly dead.

Thanks for the idea. Tried disconnecting the battery and when I reconnected it still does the same thing...
Back to top Go down
SS1985

PostSubject: Re: Starts fine, but no power/won't go over 15mph   Starts fine, but no power/won't go over 15mph EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 8:44 pm

Biglake wrote:
Sounds like a dirty fuel filter or injector to me.

Do you have any advice as to how to clean the injector or replace the fuel filter? If I'm not mistaken there isn't an external fuel filter on my bike...is it located within the fuel pump assembly?

Thanks a bunch for the help!
Back to top Go down
speersie

speersie

PostSubject: Re: Starts fine, but no power/won't go over 15mph   Starts fine, but no power/won't go over 15mph EmptySun Jul 12, 2015 5:13 am

Check the fault codes and the stator output. I know of a bloke who had issues because the battery volts were low and it seemed to slow into a limp. But after charging the battery his came good so its not the same but a place to start none the less especially with the stator recall starting to get momentum.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Starts fine, but no power/won't go over 15mph   Starts fine, but no power/won't go over 15mph EmptySun Jul 12, 2015 11:14 am

Is the motor running good? and will it rev up or not? scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starts fine, but no power/won't go over 15mph   Starts fine, but no power/won't go over 15mph Empty

Back to top Go down

Starts fine, but no power/won't go over 15mph
Page 1 of 1