Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Returning back to stock exhaust from FMF

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
srileo

Returning back to stock exhaust from FMF Empty
PostSubject: Returning back to stock exhaust from FMF   Returning back to stock exhaust from FMF EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 12:17 am

All,
I've had my new-to-me '08 WRR for about 2k miles now and I still havent gotten used to the FMF Q4 exhaust. I find it too loud for me and would like to re-install a stock exhaust for the noise relief and the maintenance-free aspect of it. I'd hate adding all that weight back, but its better than dealing with the noise.

I live in SF and want to reach out to the local bay area forum for a potential swap. Question is, what is a good price to ask for? Considering that a new FMF Q4 is about $350, and most riders will gladly give away their stock exhaust in trade, what is a good $ price for a swap and help with installing it? I live in the CA bay area and don't want to deal with shipping exhaust cans.

Also, I have the FMF programmer installed (not swapping that one out)  - will i have to dial in a new map after returning to stock exhaust?

Shridhar
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Returning back to stock exhaust from FMF   Returning back to stock exhaust from FMF EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 10:48 am

First the price is what ever someone will offer you I guess, and yes you will have to change the settings on the programmer.
Back to top Go down
kolotour

PostSubject: 1:1   Returning back to stock exhaust from FMF EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 1:24 pm

New stock exhaust is almost $600.  New FMF is just under $300.  Used is usually half of new. Looks like a straight across trade would be a good deal and I would be happy to do that and I live in the Santa Cruz area.
Back to top Go down
srileo

PostSubject: Re: Returning back to stock exhaust from FMF   Returning back to stock exhaust from FMF EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 12:57 am

Thanks kolotour, but I have someone interested in giving me a reasonable $100 in trade. Suspiciously enough, he's from Santa Cruz too.

kolotour wrote:
New stock exhaust is almost $600.  New FMF is just under $300.  Used is usually half of new. Looks like a straight across trade would be a good deal and I would be happy to do that and I live in the Santa Cruz area.
Back to top Go down
srileo

PostSubject: Re: Returning back to stock exhaust from FMF   Returning back to stock exhaust from FMF EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 1:00 am

Thanks kolotour, but I have someone interested in giving me a reasonable $100 in trade. Suspiciously enough, he's from Santa Cruz too.

kolotour wrote:
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Returning back to stock exhaust from FMF   Returning back to stock exhaust from FMF EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 6:58 am

srileo wrote:

kolotour wrote:

I picked up an extra stock exhaust from some one on this forum for $90 - I cut the catalytic converter out of it and it is now on my bike.

If I remember between eBay and a couple of forums they were going in the $70 to $120 range depending on condition, shipping and what was included.

There was one inmate who I made a deal with for I think $100 (at least he offered and I finally accepted the price) but then he backed out when he saw that a new exhaust from Yamaha was in the $700 range. I have never understood why people tend to compare a used part that they have to the price of a brand new one and not what they are going for in the used market. I mean if we decided to assemble a WRR by buying individual parts from the dealer it would probably cost some where north of $50,000.

There are a few parts out there that I think are going for near dealer prices on some bikes. A 2002-2003 GSXR1000 can is one that comes to mind. Use to be able to pick those up for about $20 to $50. Then the DR650 guys figured out they make a great lightweight muffler (3lbs I think) and offered better performance, less noise, and less maintenance (no repacking) than a FMF pipe for their bikes. I have seen some go for $300 now and I think you can get one from the dealer for around $500. I did pick up a slightly dented one for my WRR after a long search for $120 but it came out of England - not sure if that mod has caught on over in Europe or not.
Back to top Go down
srileo

PostSubject: Re: Returning back to stock exhaust from FMF   Returning back to stock exhaust from FMF EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 4:45 pm

Bob,
thanks for the encouragement. I concur, the used market is a much better indicator of prices than catalog. I'm veering towards buying a used stock can and experimenting before trading off my FMF.
Its funny you mentioned the Gixxer can. I am one of the culprits that ran the price up. I had a DR650 and put on one of the gixxer cans for about $100 i think. It was fantastic -great deep sound without the loudness. Thats why i dislike my FMF right now - just not a deep sound. And i really appreciate having the heat shield on the stock can. I am surprised that the WRR does not have a cousin in the R1 or R6 whose exhaust would work for us? Have people tried? Or is that only a carb vs FI thing?

Also, what weight/ power benefits did you get out of cutting out the Cat in your stock pipe? I suppose you have to leave the EXUP in there?

Quote :

I picked up an extra stock exhaust from some one on this forum for $90 - I cut the catalytic converter out of it and it is now on my bike.

If I remember between eBay and a couple of forums they were going in the $70 to $120 range depending on condition, shipping and what was included.

There was one inmate who I made a deal with for I think $100 (at least he offered and I finally accepted the price) but then he backed out when he saw that a new exhaust from Yamaha was in the $700 range.  I have never understood why people tend to compare a used part that they have to the price of a brand new one and not what they are going for in the used market.  I mean if we decided to assemble a WRR by buying individual parts from the dealer it would probably cost some where north of $50,000.

There are a few parts out there that I think are going for near dealer prices on some bikes.  A 2002-2003 GSXR1000 can is one that comes to mind.  Use to be able to pick those up for about $20 to $50.  Then the DR650 guys figured out they make a great lightweight muffler (3lbs I think) and offered better performance, less noise, and less maintenance (no repacking) than a FMF pipe for their bikes.  I have seen some go for $300 now and I think you can get one from the dealer for around $500.  I did pick up a slightly dented one for my WRR after a long search for $120 but it came out of England - not sure if that mod has caught on over in Europe or not.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Returning back to stock exhaust from FMF   Returning back to stock exhaust from FMF EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 4:57 pm

I mainly pulled the car since I did not have the AIS system on the bike which works with the cat to clean up the emissions. I was concerned that I would end up plugging the cat up after awhile.

I still have my GSXR1000 can setup for my WRR and may put it back on at some time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Returning back to stock exhaust from FMF   Returning back to stock exhaust from FMF Empty

Back to top Go down

Returning back to stock exhaust from FMF
Page 1 of 1