Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 

Replacing fairing/seat bolts with wing nuts?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
roadrover

PostSubject: Replacing fairing/seat bolts with wing nuts?   Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:49 pm

Was whipping off my seat and side panel for the tenth time during my niggling DRC taillight install (more on that later) and got to thinking; wouldn't it be better if I could just hand-crank these on and off?

I guess the downside is the wingnuts could get bumped and come off while riding, which would obviously be no bueno.

But... wondering if anyone's tried replacing the main bolts holding plastics in place with wingnuts with good or bad results?
Back to top Go down
lancek

PostSubject: Re: Replacing fairing/seat bolts with wing nuts?   Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:45 am

Just changed all mine to the same size allen keys - makes life much easier - if I need to take the seat off chances are Im taking everything else off..
Back to top Go down
jkroes

PostSubject: Re: Replacing fairing/seat bolts with wing nuts?   Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:57 pm

The wing nut is a great idea! Did you end up changing yours over? Have they loosened on you?
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Replacing fairing/seat bolts with wing nuts?   Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:40 pm

My seat have wing nuts, bot not on the plastic ect, I think they would catch on to stuff and be a pain in the ass in that regard..
Back to top Go down
alansz400

PostSubject: Re: Replacing fairing/seat bolts with wing nuts?   Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:05 pm

I have wing bolts on my seat and side panels on both the R and the X. No problems in over 20K on the R and 10K on the X. I did use star washers on the seats bolts just to be safe. Even with my boots rubbing the side cover wings they have never came loose. I welded a bolt into a wing nut rather then buying them. I had a picture but can't find it. So much better then messing with that Allen key under a muddy fender.
Back to top Go down
alansz400

PostSubject: Re: Replacing fairing/seat bolts with wing nuts?   Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:37 pm

Found the picture.

Back to top Go down
RoundPonda

PostSubject: Re: Replacing fairing/seat bolts with wing nuts?   Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:13 pm

Yep, metric wing bolts and metric wing nuts are not easy to find...
Back to top Go down
jkroes

PostSubject: Re: Replacing fairing/seat bolts with wing nuts?   Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:16 pm

RoundPonda wrote:
Yep, metric wing bolts and metric wing nuts are not easy to find...

Would they be hard to find? I'd replace mine but can't be bothered if it's gonna be a hassle...
Back to top Go down
wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Replacing fairing/seat bolts with wing nuts?   Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:04 pm

Metric M6x16mm Stainless Steel Wing Bolt Butterfly Screw on Amazon

... or pick one of these that suits your fancy:

Back to top Go down
nickthenack9

PostSubject: Re: Replacing fairing/seat bolts with wing nuts?   Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:11 am

bolts from my local hardware store haha you can get the same ones off ebay for pretty cheap
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replacing fairing/seat bolts with wing nuts?   

Back to top Go down

Replacing fairing/seat bolts with wing nuts?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1