Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

No D606 in Europe?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SwissDude

SwissDude

No D606 in Europe? Empty
PostSubject: No D606 in Europe?   No D606 in Europe? EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 10:58 am

My WRR needs new shoes soon. After checking the forum, it appears that the D606 is a good choice, but believe it or not, it does not seem to be available in Europe?
Can anyone confirm that and if not, any source to get them?
I've asked Dunlop Germany and their not very helpful one-sentence-answer was "we don't have it in our catalogue". They don't even seem to know that a D606 exists  baldy

Thx!
Back to top Go down
k1322

No D606 in Europe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: No D606 in Europe?   No D606 in Europe? EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 8:20 pm

I came to the same conclusion, not available in Europe.
I´d check out T63 or MT21 instead.
Back to top Go down
SwissDude

SwissDude

No D606 in Europe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: No D606 in Europe?   No D606 in Europe? EmptyWed Dec 23, 2015 3:53 am

thanks. Dunlop seems to have a strange policy here. If the D606 is in production, why don't they sell it to anyone who wants it?

However, I think I'll take the Heidenau K60 then. I still don't understand what the difference between the K60 and the K60 Scout is, but since I want to stick with the stock tire dimensions I have to take the non-Scout, anyway.
Back to top Go down
k1322

No D606 in Europe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: No D606 in Europe?   No D606 in Europe? EmptyWed Dec 23, 2015 4:05 am

SwissDude wrote:
thanks. Dunlop seems to have a strange policy here. If the D606 is in production, why don't they sell it to anyone who wants it?

However, I think I'll take the Heidenau K60 then. I still don't understand what the difference between the K60 and the K60 Scout is, but since I want to stick with the stock tire dimensions I have to take the non-Scout, anyway.

There is a rather big difference between a D606 and a K60. I have a K60 Scout on my XT660R, and its not a good offroad tyre. However a great touring tyre with decent offroad capabilities. If you intend to do proper offroad, MT21 front and T63 back is a better option. T63 do suck in mud, but wears rather good on tarmac.

K60 Scout (compared to K60) could be summarized as:
* better wet grip
* wears faster
* different thread pattern, especially bigger sizes that includes a mid-stripe
Back to top Go down
SwissDude

SwissDude

No D606 in Europe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: No D606 in Europe?   No D606 in Europe? EmptyWed Dec 23, 2015 4:14 am

well, my "dual sports" profile actually is 90/10. Since riding offroad is off-limits almost everywhere in Switzerland, my bike is some 90% street used.
A Supermoto certainly would be the better choice for this country. Too bad, I'd love to dig in the dirt...
Back to top Go down
k1322

No D606 in Europe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: No D606 in Europe?   No D606 in Europe? EmptyWed Dec 23, 2015 4:39 am

SwissDude wrote:
well, my "dual sports" profile actually is 90/10. Since riding offroad is off-limits almost everywhere in Switzerland, my bike is some 90% street used.
A Supermoto certainly would be the better choice for this country. Too bad, I'd love to dig in the dirt...

A TKC80 front and K60 Scout rear will do well for 50/50 riding. I also liked the Anakee line for my 90/10 riding, but doesn't really provide much help offroad but lasts forever. Rode my TKC80/K60 Scout ~14000 km (also through Switzerland) on my XT, and still got plenty of threads left. However the front did wear uneven due to badly balanced and low inflated tyre.

Check out German http://www.reifendirekt.ch/. They are cheap for a Swede and also ships to .ch.
Back to top Go down
SwissDude

SwissDude

No D606 in Europe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: No D606 in Europe?   No D606 in Europe? EmptyWed Dec 23, 2015 6:49 am

Mixing tires seems to be quite common for dual sports. I always tried to avoid that, both for cars and motorcycles.

How/why is the combination TKC80/K60 superior to K60/K60?
Back to top Go down
k1322

No D606 in Europe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: No D606 in Europe?   No D606 in Europe? EmptyWed Dec 23, 2015 7:20 am

SwissDude wrote:
Mixing tires seems to be quite common for dual sports. I always tried to avoid that, both for cars and motorcycles.

In dirt, grip in the front is more relevant than grip in the rear. Lost grip in front = pain. Lost grip in rear = fun (to some extent).
The rear usually wears faster than the front, unless you really enjoy braking hard on tarmac.

A TKC80/K60 Scout setup wears about the same, and can be changed simultaneously. Its a common setup on bigger singles and I´ve been very pleased with it as a 50/50 riding setup. A K60/K60 setup would most likely mean that the rear needs to be changed before the front. The K60 front also has a very non-aggressive thread which I didn't like. So you could as well treat yourself with a "better" (and faster wearing) front. There really no reason to use same model in both font and rear in a technical point of view, unless you have a major difference in tyre dynamics causing balance issues. The more knobby the tyre is, the more noise/vibration it usually creates. I enjoy fresh tyres on same occasion. In your case, K60 sounds like a good compromise since you´ll mostly do tarmac anyway. TKC80 still does very well on tarmac. Riding Anakee felt like a pure road tyre with good wet grip.

Tyres are a very personal preference. I was impressed by how well the T63 did on tarmac as well. I run MT21/T63 on my WR, but will do MT21(old)/M21(new) now because the rear is done but front is still good. But my riding with the WR is 10/90 (tarmac/dirt)
Back to top Go down
greenboy

greenboy

No D606 in Europe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: No D606 in Europe?   No D606 in Europe? EmptyWed Dec 23, 2015 6:54 pm

take a look at mitas e-07
Back to top Go down
magmano

No D606 in Europe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: No D606 in Europe?   No D606 in Europe? EmptyThu Jan 05, 2017 3:04 pm

k1322 wrote:
SwissDude wrote:

In dirt, grip in the front is more relevant than grip in the rear. Lost grip in front = pain. Lost grip in rear = fun (to some extent).
The rear usually wears faster than the front, unless you really enjoy braking hard on tarmac.

A TKC80/K60 Scout setup wears about the same, and can be changed simultaneously. Its a common setup on bigger singles and I´ve been very pleased with it as a 50/50 riding setup. A K60/K60 setup would most likely mean that the rear needs to be changed before the front. The K60 front also has a very non-aggressive thread which I didn't like. So you could as well treat yourself with a "better" (and faster wearing) front. There really no reason to use same model in both font and rear in a technical point of view, unless you have a major difference in tyre dynamics causing balance issues. The more knobby the tyre is, the more noise/vibration it usually creates. I enjoy fresh tyres on same occasion. In your case, K60 sounds like a good compromise since you´ll mostly do tarmac anyway. TKC80 still does very well on tarmac. Riding Anakee felt like a pure road tyre with good wet grip.

Tyres are a very personal preference. I was impressed by how well the T63 did on tarmac as well. I run MT21/T63 on my WR, but will do MT21(old)/M21(new) now because the rear is done but front is still good. But my riding with the WR is 10/90 (tarmac/dirt)

Hey K1322! you seem to know a lot about tires! i am also struggling to find the best combo! i ride mostly road but still dont want to loose too much for the times i hit the dirt. which combo do you suggest? also been reading about the mefo explorer!
Back to top Go down
k1322

No D606 in Europe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: No D606 in Europe?   No D606 in Europe? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2017 7:06 am

magmano wrote:
k1322 wrote:
SwissDude wrote:

Hey K1322! you seem to know a lot about tires! i am also struggling to find the best combo! i ride mostly road but still dont want to loose too much for the times i hit the dirt. which combo do you suggest? also been reading about the mefo explorer!

There are probably as many preferences as there are tire models.

For dirt i run Mitas C-21 front and C-02 rear, mostly because they are cheap and performs excellent in dirt. The rear lasts about ~3000-4000 km for me when doing mostly dirt (for me, that's basically a full normal season).

For street I´d go with whats available in your country. MT21/D606 is for sure a solid combination for US riders. I liked the K60/K60 Scout rear on my older bikes, where i did more tarmac touring. Mefo Explorer is also common on bigger bikes, will probably handle the wear great on our small wizzers. You can treat yourself with a more knobbie oriented front, as it normally doesn't wear as fast as the rear.

If you don't want to compromise in the dirt, run proper knobbies and change more regularly. That´s what I do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

No D606 in Europe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: No D606 in Europe?   No D606 in Europe? Empty

Back to top Go down

No D606 in Europe?
Page 1 of 1