Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

FMF PowerBomb and MegaBomb effect on exhaust noise level...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
David Haynes

David Haynes

FMF PowerBomb and MegaBomb effect on exhaust noise level... Empty
PostSubject: FMF PowerBomb and MegaBomb effect on exhaust noise level...   FMF PowerBomb and MegaBomb effect on exhaust noise level... EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 10:55 am

I've been running a FMF silencer on my 2010 WR-R for about 5 years and 20k+ miles. When I added the pipe I did not install a SS header (Megabomb/Powerbomb) because I was quite happy with the performance of the pipe alone.

However, I've read recently that adding either of these FMF headers can subtract some decibels from the exhaust's considerable bark, so I'm asking here just how much of a difference there is.

I'd appreciate comments from those who've run just the silencer (pipe) and have run a silencer plus either the PowerBomb or MegaBomb headers.

Again, my main interest is in quieting down the bike's considerable loudness. I use the WR-R as a true DS bike and often ride 200+ road miles in a day to ride 50-75 dirt miles. I also recently began using a Sena bike-to-bike intercom and the exhaust noise makes it hard to hear, especially at highway speeds.

If these headers only make a slight difference in the overall decibel level I probably wouldn't be interested.

Thanks Guys (and Gals)!
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: FMF PowerBomb and MegaBomb effect on exhaust noise level...   FMF PowerBomb and MegaBomb effect on exhaust noise level... EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 11:41 am

Hey David.

I haven't heard from you in a while or maybe you haven't heard from me in a while.  

I know this doesn't answer your question but,

I have been using Sena SMH10R and non foam ear plugs seem to help because they do not block so much sound.  I really like these:
http://www.moldex.com/hearing-protection/reusable-earplugs/comets.php

Also repacking the muffler can help.

I do have a powerbomb and I wish my bike was quieter.
Back to top Go down
David Haynes

David Haynes

PostSubject: Re: FMF PowerBomb and MegaBomb effect on exhaust noise level...   FMF PowerBomb and MegaBomb effect on exhaust noise level... EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 12:21 pm

Hey Duane,

Good to hear from you! I'm not at the motorcycle shop in Huntsville any more; left at the end of November… just too long to commute every day.

Some of us are planning to ride in Skyline WMA over the next couple months before they shut down the roads in May. Want me to give you a heads up?

I met a guy while at Freedom Powersports who lives nearby and he'll let us camp on his property (safe place to leave stuff during the day). Of course, you're close enough for a day ride so it might not make any difference.

BTW, did you put both the pipe and header on at the same time? If at different times, was there enough of a difference to notice?

The product description for both Powerbomb and Megabomb mentions lower sound levels, but nothing specific.

-David
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: FMF PowerBomb and MegaBomb effect on exhaust noise level...   FMF PowerBomb and MegaBomb effect on exhaust noise level... EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 12:42 pm

The ride seems like fun. I like motocamping so that is an option. I would like a heads up.

I am sorry, but I bought the bike from Mark withe powerbomb on it. I have tried the stock exhaust, but I found that I still needed earplugs so I put the FMF back on it. I have never tried the stock header and FMF slip-on.
Back to top Go down
David Haynes

David Haynes

PostSubject: Re: FMF PowerBomb and MegaBomb effect on exhaust noise level...   FMF PowerBomb and MegaBomb effect on exhaust noise level... EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 1:20 pm

duanew wrote:
The ride seems like fun. I like motocamping so that is an option. I would like a heads up.

I am sorry, but I bought the bike from Mark withe powerbomb on it. I have tried the stock exhaust, but I found that I still  needed earplugs so I put the FMF back on it. I have never tried the stock header and FMF slip-on.

I guess we can compare them next time we ride together. I'll let you know when we get a trip up. Are you able to go weekdays or weekends only?

Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: FMF PowerBomb and MegaBomb effect on exhaust noise level...   FMF PowerBomb and MegaBomb effect on exhaust noise level... EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 1:29 pm

When I bought my bike it had the FMF Q4 pipe and stock header. I added a PowerBomb header after about a year.

There is no detectable difference in sound at idle or partial throttle. Maybe a very slight decrease in volume in higher RPM cruising, but I wear earplugs so it might just be a slightly different frequency.

There is no real detectable difference in power either, in my opinion, but that is another issue... hide

Earplugs are a must for me, not for the engine sound, but for the wind noise. I've been wearing them for 10 years or more and couldn't imagine riding without them, even on an electric scooter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FMF PowerBomb and MegaBomb effect on exhaust noise level...   FMF PowerBomb and MegaBomb effect on exhaust noise level... Empty

Back to top Go down

FMF PowerBomb and MegaBomb effect on exhaust noise level...
Page 1 of 1