Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

putting her on ice

Go down 
+2
YZEtc
lancek
6 posters
AuthorMessage
lancek

putting her on ice Empty
PostSubject: putting her on ice   putting her on ice EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 4:14 am

recovering from back surgery and will be having 3 months off pretty much everything - is there anything I need to do for the bike during this time?

Cheers
Lance
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

putting her on ice Empty
PostSubject: Re: putting her on ice   putting her on ice EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 6:35 am

I'd mix up some gasoline with the proper dosage of fuel stabilizer added, fill the tank with it, run the engine for a few minutes, stop engine, remove battery and keep it on an automatic battery charger, cover the muffler outlet.

You can do more (like actually ride the bike until it reaches full temperature and change the oil and oil filter, lube control cables and the drive chain, wash it squeaky clean), but I don't know if your back allows for any riding or crawling around on the floor.

When you put the bike back into service, I'd drain the old gas out of the tank and put it in the lawnmower and service the air filter (rodents love to move in and live in your airbox when the bike sits for long periods).
Also check tire pressure.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

putting her on ice Empty
PostSubject: Re: putting her on ice   putting her on ice EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 9:44 am

I'd put it on a stand (or 5gallon bucket) too. My tires loose psi pretty quick. Don't really want it sitting for that long on flat tires.
Back to top Go down
duanew

putting her on ice Empty
PostSubject: Re: putting her on ice   putting her on ice EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 10:23 am

inspector wrote:
I'd put it on a stand (or 5gallon bucket) too. My tires loose psi pretty quick. Don't really want it sitting for that long on flat tires.

I have never had any of my tube tires lose much air. You might have some bad valves in your stems.

I had a cheaper 5 gallon bucket that I used to do some maintenance on the bike. It lasted about 20 minutes before I noticed buckling in the bucket and my bike started leaning. Make sure it is one of the thicker buckets which will last longer than mine.
Back to top Go down
Krabill

putting her on ice Empty
PostSubject: Re: putting her on ice   putting her on ice EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 10:31 am

Plug it into a battery tender and start it up every week or so. Change the oil now and again when you put it back in service.
Back to top Go down
hamish54

putting her on ice Empty
PostSubject: Re: putting her on ice   putting her on ice EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 11:41 pm

Guess I lucked out. After getting my R2 in March, I was away from mid May until September. Did nothing to prep bike for the long vacation. A friend did ride it for about 30 miles about 6 weeks after I left. I started up the first time I came back and has run great since then.

bill
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

putting her on ice Empty
PostSubject: Re: putting her on ice   putting her on ice Empty

Back to top Go down

putting her on ice
Page 1 of 1