Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Clutch lever switch plug won't seat

Go down 
+4
Biglake
DS123
motokid
YZEtc
8 posters
AuthorMessage
DS123

Clutch lever switch plug won't seat Empty
PostSubject: Clutch lever switch plug won't seat   Clutch lever switch plug won't seat EmptyWed Mar 30, 2016 9:59 pm

I was putting on a new clutch lever and I noticed the clutch wire plug sticking out. I tried pushing it in and it just slides out. It's not seating at all. How does it seat? It looks like a notch on the end but there is nothing to seat it on. I've tried twisting it and moving it around but it will not seat. Could the switch plug be broke in some way? I tried looking it up in the service manual but it says nothing about the clutch switch plug ..... I'm stumped. Any help would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever switch plug won't seat   Clutch lever switch plug won't seat EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 5:43 am

Yes, it is supposed to slide in with a little tab that clicks into place and keeps it put.
Sounds like yours is broken.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever switch plug won't seat   Clutch lever switch plug won't seat EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 9:27 am

Post a picture. Would be a big help.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
DS123

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever switch plug won't seat   Clutch lever switch plug won't seat EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 12:52 pm

Thanks for the responses. I found a picture of the switch and how it seats in the service manual. Somehow I managed to break off the tab so I'll just order a new one.
Back to top Go down
DS123

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever switch plug won't seat   Clutch lever switch plug won't seat EmptyTue Apr 05, 2016 2:06 pm

Looks like yamaha is backordered on the clutch switch. Any trick solutions to do until I get the new clutch switch? What about using tape to hold the switch in or some other trick?
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever switch plug won't seat   Clutch lever switch plug won't seat EmptyTue Apr 05, 2016 7:39 pm

You can ditch the switch by removing it and cutting the wires off, either leaving the wires unhooked or twisting them together.
Im not sure which, try it with the wires unhooked, if it starts in gear your good, if not twist the wires together. thumb
Back to top Go down
DS123

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever switch plug won't seat   Clutch lever switch plug won't seat EmptyWed Apr 06, 2016 12:37 am

Hey thanks! Have you tried this?
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever switch plug won't seat   Clutch lever switch plug won't seat EmptyThu Apr 07, 2016 5:24 pm

Not on the wrr, that switch still works good on mine, but I had to do it to my race quad and KLR650, I twisted the wires together on those ones to get em to start in gear.
Back to top Go down
WRideR

WRideR

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever switch plug won't seat   Clutch lever switch plug won't seat EmptyMon Oct 09, 2017 2:56 pm

The small plastic tab to release the clutch switch is on the underside of the clutch lever housing. Loosen the housing and rotate it along with the clutch lever so that you can see the tab. Depress it with a small flat bade screwdriver and gently pull it out of the housing. I do not recommend bypassing the clutch safety switch by cutting off the malfunctioning switch and connecting the two wire ends. If you do the bike will start in gear without depressing the clutch. You might be in for a big unwelcome surprise.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever switch plug won't seat   Clutch lever switch plug won't seat EmptyMon Oct 09, 2017 3:27 pm

WRideR wrote:
The small plastic tab to release the clutch switch is on the underside of the clutch lever housing. Loosen the housing and rotate it along with the clutch lever so that you can see the tab. Depress it with a small flat bade screwdriver and gently pull it out of the housing. I do not recommend bypassing the clutch safety switch by cutting off the malfunctioning switch and connecting the two wire ends. If you do the bike will start in gear without depressing the clutch. You might be in for a big unwelcome surprise.

Yeah bypassing the switch is like 6 of one and half dozen of another when it comes to good and bad things that can happen.

While you could start the bike in gear it is also pretty convenient when you need help pushing the bike out of a mud puddle.
Back to top Go down
05cr125r

05cr125r

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever switch plug won't seat   Clutch lever switch plug won't seat EmptyWed May 02, 2018 9:45 pm

I'll have to order a switch as well ....will i hurt the bike if i ride it ? I am going on a ride in a couple days ....thanks
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever switch plug won't seat   Clutch lever switch plug won't seat EmptyThu May 03, 2018 2:48 am

05cr125r wrote:
I'll have to order a switch as well ....will i hurt the bike if i ride it ? I am going on a ride in a couple days ....thanks

The only reason for that switch is to ensure you do not start the bike in gear; if you are not concerned about this, then you do not need the switch.

A lot of people (me included) use aftermarket clutch levers (where the switch cannot be used) without any problems.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever switch plug won't seat   Clutch lever switch plug won't seat Empty

Back to top Go down

Clutch lever switch plug won't seat
Page 1 of 1