Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Adjustable pull clutch lever (alternative to RSC lever)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
johnkol

Adjustable pull clutch lever (alternative to RSC lever) Empty
PostSubject: Adjustable pull clutch lever (alternative to RSC lever)   Adjustable pull clutch lever (alternative to RSC lever) EmptyMon Sep 04, 2017 4:39 pm

I believe there is broad consensus that the clutch engagement on our bikes is quite abrupt, making it almost impossible to modulate. In addition, the clutch pull is a bit on the heavy side, which gives some people (including me) arm pump at the end of a long day.

One popular solution has been the Righteous Stunt Clutch lever that offers a couple of additional positions for the cable pull barrel, which alters the distance between clutch pivot and cable pull. By choosing the shortest pivot-to-cable distance, you essentially increase the clutch engagement range (thus making the clutch more progressive), and you also make the clutch pull easier -- an impressive two-for-one. The only problem with the RSC lever is its price, which approaches hydraulic clutch prices when you factor in shipping.

While researching the RSC, I stumbled on an alternative, the Outlaw Racing adjustable lever, which seemed to operate on the same principle as the RSC. A brief inquiry to the distributor was promptly and satisfactorily answered, so I purchased the lever and installed it this weekend:

Adjustable pull clutch lever (alternative to RSC lever) Clucth10

The lever provides three different insertion points for the cable, which translate to three different pivot-to-cable distances:

1. 18mm
  2. 25mm
  3. 32mm

The distance on the stock lever is 28mm, so the OR lever gives you one position that is more abrupt than stock, and two that are more progressive. I chose the shortest one since the WRR needs all the help it can get in this department.

Took a short ride, and indeed the level works as intended: the clutch engagement range is wider, making it a lot easier to modulate, and the pull requires much less effort.

The OR lever also seems to be better designed: its barrel adjuster pivots to allow a straighter route from cable jacket to pull position, whereas the barrel adjuster on the RSC lever is fixed, forcing the cable to a sharper angle when the shortest cable position is selected.

One added benefit of the lever is the fact that one can use the stock rubber covers, which offer very good protection against dirt.

I therefore highly recommend this lever, especially at its price.
Back to top Go down
JemmyOtis

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable pull clutch lever (alternative to RSC lever)   Adjustable pull clutch lever (alternative to RSC lever) EmptySun Feb 18, 2018 8:01 pm

Saw your comments on another thread and it sounds good. Are you running stock handlebars? One review at the Amazon link says these don't work on 1 1/8 bars.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable pull clutch lever (alternative to RSC lever)   Adjustable pull clutch lever (alternative to RSC lever) EmptyMon Feb 19, 2018 1:17 am

jotis wrote:
Are you running stock handlebars? One review at the Amazon link says these don't work on 1 1/8 bars.

There are no size-specific levers (or grips for that matter). 1 1/8" bars are oversized at the base, but they taper off to regular 7/8" size at the controls; any lever (and grip) will fit any bar.
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable pull clutch lever (alternative to RSC lever)   Adjustable pull clutch lever (alternative to RSC lever) EmptySat Jan 05, 2019 11:33 pm

I purchased one but had to return it. There is no provision for the clutch engagement switch. I did not think about this before the purchase.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable pull clutch lever (alternative to RSC lever)   Adjustable pull clutch lever (alternative to RSC lever) EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 4:07 am

njbill wrote:
I purchased one but had to return it. There is no provision for the clutch engagement switch.

That is true, there is no provision for the OEM clutch engagement switch. Then again, this is true of all aftermarket clutch perches/levers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adjustable pull clutch lever (alternative to RSC lever)   Adjustable pull clutch lever (alternative to RSC lever) Empty

Back to top Go down

Adjustable pull clutch lever (alternative to RSC lever)
Page 1 of 1