Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

back surgery - recovery time

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
lancek

back surgery - recovery time Empty
PostSubject: back surgery - recovery time   back surgery - recovery time EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 6:13 am

I have just had a microdiscectomy L5-S1, feeling much better since the surgery 2 weeks ago but still a little electrical (nerve) sensitivity as I guess the swelling reduces. Looks like 3 months off the bike and probably 6 months before I can get back to riding like I want too.

Anyone else been through similar and what was your recovery like?

I used to be a nurse and often thought people were faking or whingers when they went on about the pain - having broken my nose, neck (C2), and other numerous flesh wounds this was no doubt the greatest pain I could imagine, let alone the psychological and emotional impacts.

Still lots of time to get the bike all dressed up back surgery - recovery time Icon_rolleyes
Back to top Go down
Edgydrifter

Edgydrifter

PostSubject: Re: back surgery - recovery time   back surgery - recovery time EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 9:47 pm

lancek wrote:
I have just had a microdiscectomy L5-S1, feeling much better since the surgery 2 weeks ago but still a little electrical (nerve) sensitivity as I guess the swelling reduces. Looks like 3 months off the bike and probably 6 months before I can get back to riding like I want too.

Anyone else been through similar and what was your recovery like?

I used to be a nurse and often thought people were faking or whingers when they went on about the pain - having broken my nose, neck (C2), and other numerous flesh wounds this was no doubt the greatest pain I could imagine, let alone the psychological and emotional impacts.

Still lots of time to get the bike all dressed up back surgery - recovery time Icon_rolleyes

Just read your post, better late than never eh? I had similar surgery about ten years ago, L5 and L4 if I remember correctly. My surgery/recovery went great, took about six months and I was back to normal(?) back surgery - recovery time 93746 I did about 3 months with a physical therapist and still to this day have to do some form of bastardized yoga/stretching/pilates in the mornings, if I skip like a week or so my back hurts and stiffens up. About every 6 months or so I do something that flares up the injury and spend a couple of days hunched over, but all in all it's no big deal. much better than before the surgery when I spent about 2 months laying on the floor with my leg thrown over a couch trying to relieve the pressure on the injury. The doctors said they couldn't operate because of swelling, if I remember correctly. Original injury was from crashing a yz250 FYI.
Back to top Go down
superbee24

superbee24

PostSubject: Re: back surgery - recovery time   back surgery - recovery time EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 12:55 pm

Firefighter here - just like you, I doubted other folks pain. NOT ANY MORE ! back surgery - recovery time 204616

I was on my bike within 2months. Just easy riding nothing extreme.

Just watch your back - I re-injured myself about 3 months after surgery ( seems like you can't pick up a 300lb patient off the floor like you used to )

Speedy recovery to you !
Back to top Go down
lancek

PostSubject: Re: back surgery - recovery time   back surgery - recovery time EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 7:45 pm

Thanks for the reply guys - its been 10 weeks since surgery and I think I went for my first driving iss daisy ride 2 weeks ago - my back feels great and I am so happy I finally had the surgery - I plan to get back surfing and kitesurfing around February but just crusing - I think that is the biggest thing - this is a realisation that you are not invincible and that things do have limits - and some of those limits pertaining to me may have just been lowered - that said I feel great and really enjoying life again - just need to focus on staying in tip top shape and aware of all hazards!!
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: back surgery - recovery time   back surgery - recovery time EmptySat Feb 13, 2010 12:31 am

lancek, glad to here you are doing better.I didn't have back sugery but I did have both hips repla ced at 37 years old. I bought my 08 wrr a month before my surgery and put on 1000 miles .I put on 90 miles the day before my surgery.My surgery was sept.24,08 and I was riding by late March, I purposely had my surgery late into the riding season so I wouldn't miss too much riding.One of the reasons I bought the wrr is because it is easier to toss around off road than my KLR was.I have replaced my stock seat with a Corbin seat and it has made a big difference for me.Besides being way more comfortable it also lowered the seat height a little.I've got almost 6000 miles on my wrr and I can't wait for winter to be over so I can ride again. Good luck.back surgery - recovery time 942737
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: back surgery - recovery time   back surgery - recovery time EmptySat Feb 13, 2010 12:40 am

Good to hear you're on recovery mode, Lance! My back's buggared from a rollover in a firetruck back in 2003; some days I don't feel it but a lot of the time I'll wake up in agony well before I'm supposed to be up and it can drag on. My dad went thru surgery and he's regretted doing it because now he has peripheral neurpoathy and it's affecting his legs to the point some days he can hardly walk. I've been basically doing exercises in the off season when I can, other than that it's chirpractor and massage. I don't want to go thru what my Dad is. back surgery - recovery time 640571

PostSubject: Re: back surgery - recovery time   back surgery - recovery time EmptySat Feb 13, 2010 12:57 am

Thanks guys things continue to improve - although I still have some mild burning and discomfort - I am 95% better than what I was before the surgery and Im back surfing and kitesurfing as well as on the WRR.

I think if you are going to have the surgery you need to have it sooner than later - I know of two people that waited and then to remove the bulge or herniation there was no way to avoid damage to the nerve - and in those situations there is limited chance of recovery.

I still need to loose 20 kgs - I could loose some off the bike but that would be cheating :) - let the road to recovery continue
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: back surgery - recovery time   back surgery - recovery time Empty

Back to top Go down

back surgery - recovery time
Page 1 of 1