Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

KTM Folding Mirrors

Go down 
+6
Buzzbomber
dmulk
X-Racer
matttys
BPG
Crawdaddy
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

KTM Folding Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: KTM Folding Mirrors   KTM Folding Mirrors EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 12:54 pm

I bought some cheap handguard mirrors but I'm pretty sure they'd just bust off on the first fall (they're NOT folding as I thought they were)......they're made for a specific type of handguard other then Cycra but they could probably be rigged somehow.....the problem is they'd just stick out there asking to be hit unless you made them folding.....we'll see, I may be able to rig something up with them when I have more time.....

Picked up some KTM folding mirrors as a back-up for big mileage trips: http://www.moto-science.com/product/73808/KTM-Folding-Mirrors-225-325mm-Adjustable-Stems-Pair_330261.html

Snapped a couple of pictures of the KTMs on the bike this morning with my cell phone......they're fully extended (now) but you can remove the middle extender bar and lessen the reach (not something you can do on the fly - you either set them up fully extended or shortened)......shortening them may also render them useless......we'll see....

Mirrors up (You can raise them higher like the stock mirrors but I like the low profile setting)

KTM Folding Mirrors Wrmirrorup

Mirrors folded (I'll be conducting "field testing" this weeked to see how badly they bounce around when folded.......might not be too bad if you crank the allen bolt/lessen play).......an Enduro bag hanging off the number plate for them to bounce into would probably help a lot.....unfortunately they don't fold all the way down to the bar like the cheapo/folding Acerbis plastic mirror that I have on my KTM for "looks only" (it's pretty useless in terms of function)

KTM Folding Mirrors Wrmirrorfolded
Back to top Go down
BPG

BPG

PostSubject: Re: KTM Folding Mirrors   KTM Folding Mirrors EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 9:44 pm

Nice!! Those mirrors actually look (gulp!) good on the WR. I see that they are convex - have you ridden with them in traffic yet to see how much coverage they have to the sides?

Currently I am running the Ken Sean folding mirrors:
PROS:
- cheap ($15 or less a piece)
- pretty tough
- foldable
CONS:
- sometimes need adjustment - if not adjusted they won't stay up when you need them to on the road, or they'll flop around on dirt.
- flat glass. I just glued a $2 3" convex mirror from Walmart to remedy that, but now they're almost TOO convex - view directly behind is pretty compromised - although I barely have to move my head to check for traffic beside me.
- goofy "lolly-pop/Mickey Mouse" look.

All said & done, I'll likely ask for the KTM folders from Santa... KTM Folding Mirrors 61865
Back to top Go down
matttys

matttys

PostSubject: Re: KTM Folding Mirrors   KTM Folding Mirrors EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 7:44 pm

I have the round KTM folding mirrors on my R. I like the looks and they fold out of the way. It was a little wierd to see both right and left hand thread on the R. I will post some pictures when I finally finish my mods.
Back to top Go down
Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

PostSubject: Re: KTM Folding Mirrors   KTM Folding Mirrors EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 2:06 am

BPG wrote:
Nice!! Those mirrors actually look (gulp!) good on the WR. I see that they are convex - have you ridden with them in traffic yet to see how much coverage they have to the sides?
They were field tested this weekend out in the desert.......vision is great, they fold easily when necessary, and once folded didn't "bounce" too much even as I hit washes, whoops, etc......they passed the test!

KTM Folding Mirrors Wrdesert

KTM Folding Mirrors WrPrimm
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: KTM Folding Mirrors   KTM Folding Mirrors EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 3:47 pm

Where did you guys find the reverse thread adapter ?

- Robert
Back to top Go down
dmulk

PostSubject: Re: KTM Folding Mirrors   KTM Folding Mirrors EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 8:13 pm

X-Racer wrote:
Where did you guys find the reverse thread adapter ?

- Robert

Let the guy at motoscience know. He'll sell them to you...

Back to top Go down
Buzzbomber

Buzzbomber

PostSubject: Re: KTM Folding Mirrors   KTM Folding Mirrors EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 9:02 pm

I bought a set of the 280mm folding mirrors and a universal mount kit for the right side from Henri at Moto Science. Just let him know what you need it to fit and he'll set you up - he even pointed me to a less expensive mounting adapter, but I bought from him since it was cheaper to combine shipping. Best part is that I ordered on Thursday morning while snowed in and the mirrors were in my mailbox by Saturday afternoon. The nuts on the adapter are an odd size though...
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: KTM Folding Mirrors   KTM Folding Mirrors EmptySat May 01, 2010 1:49 pm

Ok, after dealing with the stock mirrors since I got my WR (about 1 month) and having them get bashed by branches and taking a beating everytime I dump my bike, I decided that I need some folding mirrors. I got some cheap ass ones ($13.95 each) but once I put them on, I asked myself "WTF was I thinking???" They looked (and were) cheap!!! I then ordered the KTM folding mirrors from Henri at Moto Science. I didn't tell him that I was using them on a WR but after I ordered, I read that I should have told him because I would need an adapter because of the Yamaha reverse threaded mirror (why did they do that again???). SO I got the mirrors (across country in 2 days!!!) and put them on. In my opinion, the KTM/Yamaha adapter from Moto Science IS NOT NEEDED. I have an 09, don't know if that matters. The right mirror screws into the yamaha mirror adapter already mounted on the perch and the left mirror screws directly onto the perch without an adapter. I'm perfectly fine with that. The right mirror sits about 1/2 and inch higher than the left, no big deal to me. Now I just fold em in when I head off road, I LOVE em. No shake, no extra vibrations or nothing.

UNFOLDED:

KTM Folding Mirrors SAM_0350

FOLDED: (They DO abstruct the digital HUD but are you really checking to see how fast you are going while blasting through the woods? (OK maybe sometime)

KTM Folding Mirrors SAM_0351

Folded, but lifted up a little to see HUD:

KTM Folding Mirrors SAM_0352

RIGHT MIRROR (notice the yamaha mirror adapter):

KTM Folding Mirrors SAM_0353

LEFT MIRROR (screwed directly on perch):

KTM Folding Mirrors SAM_0354

FROM THE FRONT:

KTM Folding Mirrors SAM_0355

All in all, I am very happy with them. I chose to go with the round instead of the oval and I went with the 243mm instead of the 280 mm. I can still see behind me, no problem.
Back to top Go down
Trailmoto

Trailmoto

PostSubject: Re: KTM Folding Mirrors   KTM Folding Mirrors EmptySun May 02, 2010 2:55 am

Looks good, thanks for the photos.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: KTM Folding Mirrors   KTM Folding Mirrors EmptySun May 02, 2010 5:10 pm

Midnite: Do you know the KTM OEM part numbers for the 243mms ? .... and/or did you shop anywhere else ?

I've been avoiding the inevitable of replacing the girl's mirrors. Looks like the best solution.

I'm not following necessarily. Why is the adapter not needed ?
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: KTM Folding Mirrors   KTM Folding Mirrors EmptySun May 02, 2010 7:10 pm

X-Racer,

I got the mirrors from www.moto-science.com . It lists this mirror as;

KTM OEM Folding mirror 243mm perch mount (10mmx1.25mm)
One mirror with 10mm x 1.25mm mount 243mm
243mm is the stock SMC KTM 990 LC4 size

Not quite sure as the exact OEM part number, as KTM uses all different parts, if I understand correctly.

As far as the adapters,,, on my 2009 WR250R, both stock mirrors are screwed into little silver colored adapters. And those adapters screw onto the perches that are attached to the handlebars. WELL, the KTM mirrors only screw in clockwise (righty tighty) and the right perch on our Yamaha screws in the opposite way (lefty tighty) for some unknown reason. SO the KTM mirror will screw directly onto the left perch on our bike with no adapter but the right one won't screw onto the right perch, so the little silver adapter that our stock, right mirror is screwed into is needed. Screw the KTM mirror onto that adapter and then screw that adapter (with mirror attached) onto the right perch of your WR. Now your probably more confused then ever!

You'll notice from my pics that the right side has the silver adapter but the left side doesn't. I think moto-science.com will send you an adapter for the left side if you ask, so it will look exactly as the right side. To me, it didn't matter, I'd actually rather have them both without adapters if I could.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: KTM Folding Mirrors   KTM Folding Mirrors EmptySun May 02, 2010 9:41 pm

Yea... Okay. Got all that. I was going to shop for the same P/N. Probably not worth the time.

Thank-you for the reply.
Back to top Go down
Buzzbomber

Buzzbomber

PostSubject: Re: KTM Folding Mirrors   KTM Folding Mirrors EmptyMon May 03, 2010 10:23 am

Yeah, I never noticed the factory adapters on the yamaha mirrors until after I ordered the setup from Henri KTM Folding Mirrors 986936 . If I did, I would have saved myself the extra $10 or whatever it was. Even with the universal adapter kit, the right mirror sits 1/2" higher, so that's no different. FWIW, there is actually a good reason the yamaha mirror perches are left hand thread on the right mirror - this way if a branch or whatever knocks the right mirror back, it loosens it instead of overtightening it and blowing out the threads...BTDT, no fun. But that's why we got folders, right KTM Folding Mirrors 93746 ?
Back to top Go down
eakins

PostSubject: Re: KTM Folding Mirrors   KTM Folding Mirrors EmptyMon May 03, 2010 11:27 am

Neduro's new dual sport mirrors are designed to always fold back incase oh hit, yet lock solidly in any position.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571500

http://www.doubletakemirror.com/

Buzzbomber wrote:
Yeah, I never noticed the factory adapters on the yamaha mirrors until after I ordered the setup from Henri KTM Folding Mirrors 986936 . If I did, I would have saved myself the extra $10 or whatever it was. Even with the universal adapter kit, the right mirror sits 1/2" higher, so that's no different. FWIW, there is actually a good reason the yamaha mirror perches are left hand thread on the right mirror - this way if a branch or whatever knocks the right mirror back, it loosens it instead of overtightening it and blowing out the threads...BTDT, no fun. But that's why we got folders, right KTM Folding Mirrors 93746 ?
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: KTM Folding Mirrors   KTM Folding Mirrors EmptyMon May 03, 2010 12:57 pm

Makes sense that's why they have the lefty tighty mirror. I'm happy with my KTM mirror setup. They can be folded down seamlessly with one hand without stopping or pulling over.

Onto my next mod; Edge Tail Light Kit (ordered yesterday)
Back to top Go down
BlueAngel

PostSubject: Re: KTM Folding Mirrors   KTM Folding Mirrors EmptyMon May 03, 2010 1:05 pm

Crawdaddy, your mirrors when folded over to the center do not block the speedo view. Were they at the same mirror stem length as when in normal use? Just wondering because the round KTM mirrors block the speedo view when folded.
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: KTM Folding Mirrors   KTM Folding Mirrors EmptyMon May 03, 2010 3:11 pm

I've noticed if I move the arms of my mirrors, I CAN make them fold to the other side of my number plate, but I'm not sure if I would want them there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: KTM Folding Mirrors   KTM Folding Mirrors Empty

Back to top Go down

KTM Folding Mirrors
Page 1 of 1