Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 
 

 Quietest Aftermarket Exhaust

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TwelveGaugeSage




PostSubject: Quietest Aftermarket Exhaust   Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:29 pm

I'm looking into my options for adding a little power and was wondering if any of the aftermarket exhaust options come close to how quiet the stock exhaust is. Power and weight savings are great, but I like having a quiet bike even more. Alternatively, is there anything I can do with the exhaust other that would free it up a bit without making it louder?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
eram310




PostSubject: Re: Quietest Aftermarket Exhaust   Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:53 pm

I have the FMF Q4 full system.
I have been told , it's the most quiet. I am happy with the improved performance and reduced weight, but it's too loud for me.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

avatar


PostSubject: Re: Quietest Aftermarket Exhaust   Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:41 pm

FMF came out with a new version of the FMF Q4 called the FMF Q4 Hex.

From some of the bits I have read it is quieter than the old FMF Q4 but I have no idea how much.

If you dig through this section a bit you will see where some guys have had luck in fitting a different insert into the old Q4 and got it to be a bit quieter.

If you dig a little deeper you will find where I fitted a GSXR1000 Titanium Exhaust can with a Two Brothers mid pipe (this is a popular mod for the DR650) to my WR250R and got a decent free flowing exhaust that was pretty damn quiet as well.

So lots of options out there depending on how much you want to do and spend.
Back to top Go down
3rdMoto




PostSubject: Re: Quietest Aftermarket Exhaust   Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:52 pm

TwelveGaugeSage wrote:
... is there anything I can do with the exhaust other that would free it up a bit without making it louder?

Thanks!

No. None whatsoever, zero, zip, nada. I get where you are coming from however,  personally I would prefer a QUIETER exhaust than stock. But thats not how it works. There are those who have modded the stock muffler, but not to make it quieter.

From what research I have been doing it appears that the Leo Vince and the fmf Q4 are the LEAST LOUD of the aftermarket cans. Both are ridiculously expensive, for what you get, imnsho. You can also replace the the fmf quiet insert SA in the Q4 with one made for the powercore 4, which has a smaller opening, for further sound reduction. But any of these will be louder than stock.

also see:  https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/591031-most-quiet-aftermarket-wr-exhaust/
Back to top Go down
TwelveGaugeSage




PostSubject: Re: Quietest Aftermarket Exhaust   Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:32 pm

Aww, that's too bad. The Hypermotard that I traded for the WRR had an amazing sounding Termignoni exhaust, but it was completely intolerable without earplugs. I've already got tinnitus from working fuels on a noisy Air Force flightline. I like an increase in power and I like the sound of a nice exhaust, but the stock WRR exhaust is about as loud as I would want to go anymore.

Is it still worth doing all of the other power mods if I keep the stock exhaust?

Sorry that I am asking questions that have probably been answered a hundred times. I'm pretty terrible with this forum's search function.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

avatar


PostSubject: Re: Quietest Aftermarket Exhaust   Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:10 pm

https://youtu.be/ShkXafyUMnA
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen




PostSubject: Re: Quietest Aftermarket Exhaust   Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:36 pm

You can modify a DBkiller to make it work better, making it a bit more restrictive.

Ad a mesh screen, weld in a washer with smaller ID, ect ect...
Back to top Go down
N8




PostSubject: Re: Quietest Aftermarket Exhaust   Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:13 pm

Shameless plug:
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/wr250r-fmf-quietcore4-megabomb-header-fuel-programmer-or-powercore4.1256989/
Back to top Go down
eram310




PostSubject: Re: Quietest Aftermarket Exhaust   Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:00 pm

Just so you know, after about 100 miles of dual sport riding yesterday and exploring some questionable riding area, I am seriously considering going back to the stock exhaust system. For the marginal gain in power and the minor decrease in weight, it’s not worth the headache after riding for a full day. I have the full system Q4 Hex that I have only used twice and seriously consider selling it.
Any other suggestions to make this system quieter before I sell this Q4 Hex would be welcome.

Thank you,



Back to top Go down
Robe338




PostSubject: Re: Quietest Aftermarket Exhaust   Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:09 pm

eram310 wrote:
Just so you know, after about 100 miles of dual sport riding  yesterday and exploring some questionable riding area, I am seriously considering going back to  the stock exhaust system. For the marginal gain in power and the minor decrease in weight, it’s not worth the headache after riding for a full day. I have the full system Q4 Hex that I have only used twice and seriously consider selling it.
Any other suggestions to  make this system quieter before I sell this Q4 Hex would be welcome.

Thank you,




If you decide to sell let me know I may be interested.
Back to top Go down
eram310




PostSubject: Re: Quietest Aftermarket Exhaust   Thu May 03, 2018 11:10 am

So before going back to the stock exhaust, I decided to try and use the quiet insert with the spark arrestor of the FMF Power Core on the Q4 as was suggested on this forum.
I already spent so much money on this thing, what’s another $35?
It was a PITA removing the stock insert, but the trick is to do it when the exhaust is warm. It took me an hour to figure that out. At one point I though it will never come out.
They are the same length with the same size spark arrestor mesh, so fit was not an issue. The output port diameter is much smaller and sits outside the exhaust, so getting it in and out is much easier too.
I only rode in the neighborhood, but I could tell a big reduction in noise.
I plan on going to for full day d/s riding on Sunday and see if it really made my end of day headache go away.



Back to top Go down
BingL




PostSubject: Re: Quietest Aftermarket Exhaust   Thu May 03, 2018 11:14 pm

I've got a GYTR pipe and it's too loud. It's okay at idle but has a definite bark at big throttle openings. I'm considering going for a Q4.
Back to top Go down
canadianshark74

avatar


PostSubject: Re: Quietest Aftermarket Exhaust   Fri May 18, 2018 9:08 pm

I have a FMF powercore 4. With the DB killer is very reasonable. Without, it's a little too loud for city riding.
Back to top Go down
eram310




PostSubject: Re: Quietest Aftermarket Exhaust   Tue May 22, 2018 3:40 pm

After a long dual sport ride 2 weekends ago and a day of trail riding on Saturday , I can say that the Q4 with a Power Core spark arrest is reasonable to me for riding.
I was at a trail ride this weekend that they do a sound check and the loudest it registered was 94db. I assume the a stock Q4 is at least 96db or higher.

Thanks,







eram310 wrote:
So before going back to  the stock exhaust, I decided to  try and use the quiet insert with the spark arrestor of the FMF Power Core on the Q4 as was suggested on this forum.  
I already spent so much money on this thing, what’s another $35?
It was a PITA removing the stock insert, but the trick is to  do it when the exhaust  is warm. It took me an hour to figure that out. At one point I though it will never come out.
They are the same length with the same size spark arrestor mesh, so fit was not an issue. The output port diameter is much smaller and sits outside the exhaust, so getting it in and out is much easier too.
I only rode in the neighborhood, but I could tell a big reduction in noise.
I plan on going to  for full day d/s riding on Sunday and see if it really made my end of day headache go away.


 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Quietest Aftermarket Exhaust   

Back to top Go down
 
Quietest Aftermarket Exhaust
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Technical :: Pipes 'n Programmers-
Jump to: