Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 
 

 Questions about Broken Clutch Cover

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TwelveGaugeSage




PostSubject: Questions about Broken Clutch Cover   Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:44 pm

I got caught at a dead end with a really rough rocky turn around and slowly tipped the bike in the process. Apparently that little bolt holding on the clutch cover took the weight of the bike and snapped off taking a piece of the cover with it. Was a very soft fall, but weight and pressure... budah



My questions are:
Do I just need to buy the cover, gasket, and missing bolt?
Is there a worthwhile aftermarket option?
Is there a worthwhile aftermarket guard?
To replace it, I just drain the oil, unbolt the old, bolt on the new, and refill the oil, correct?
Any bits of wisdom that may be handy?

I really wanted to ride tomorrow too. cry
Back to top Go down
johnkol




PostSubject: Re: Questions about Broken Clutch Cover   Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:32 pm

TwelveGaugeSage wrote:
I got caught at a dead end with a really rough rocky turn around and slowly tipped the bike in the process.  Apparently that little bolt holding on the clutch cover took the weight of the bike and snapped off taking a piece of the cover with it.

I presume what you mean is that the bolt head was sheared off, but the bolt body is still there? Which part of the cover was damaged? Are the threads in the case intact?

Depending on the answers to these questions, the fix can range from the simple (the process you outlined), to the difficult (successfully removing the bolt body), to the dangerous: destroying the threads in the attempt to remove the bolt body, and then having to install helicoil (if there is still enough surrounding material to support this).

Can you provide a close up picture of the damaged bolt area?
Back to top Go down
TwelveGaugeSage




PostSubject: Re: Questions about Broken Clutch Cover   Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:40 pm

Fortunately, I'm fairly sure that bolt ONLY goes into the outer cover and does not enter the engine case. It's probably the reason it broke like it did, as the bolt tried to flex the cover and just having the thin cover to hold onto it torqued the cover off with the bolt. Could have been MUCH worse had it broke that way on one of the other bolts.

At least I hope that's correct. Shog
Back to top Go down
johnkol




PostSubject: Re: Questions about Broken Clutch Cover   Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:46 pm

TwelveGaugeSage wrote:
Fortunately, I'm fairly sure that bolt ONLY goes into the outer cover and does not enter the engine case.  It's probably the reason it broke like it did, as the bolt tried to flex the cover and just having the thin cover to hold onto it torqued the cover off with the bolt.

That is correct, that bolt only attaches to the outer cover, so what happened to the bolt body? Is it out of the cover threads? Still lodged there? Are the threads intact?

What exactly do you mean by "it torqued the cover off with the bolt"? The plastic cover or the aluminium one?
Back to top Go down
TwelveGaugeSage




PostSubject: Re: Questions about Broken Clutch Cover   Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:52 am

johnkol wrote:
TwelveGaugeSage wrote:
Fortunately, I'm fairly sure that bolt ONLY goes into the outer cover and does not enter the engine case.  It's probably the reason it broke like it did, as the bolt tried to flex the cover and just having the thin cover to hold onto it torqued the cover off with the bolt.

That is correct, that bolt only attaches to the outer cover, so what happened to the bolt body? Is it out of the cover threads? Still lodged there? Are the threads intact?

What exactly do you mean by "it torqued the cover off with the bolt"? The plastic cover or the aluminium one?

The bolt and the pieces of the covers that it went through are gone. By torqued off, I mean made a small hole through which I can see the clutch plates. I didn't notice the damage until I started riding again and smelled oil. I wasn't expecting any damage considering how softly it landed. I ordered new covers, the missing bolt, and the gasket just in case.
Back to top Go down
johnkol




PostSubject: Re: Questions about Broken Clutch Cover   Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:15 pm

TwelveGaugeSage wrote:
The bolt and the pieces of the covers that it went through are gone.  By torqued off, I mean made a small hole through which I can see the clutch plates.  I didn't notice the damage until I started riding again and smelled oil.  I wasn't expecting any damage considering how softly it landed.  I ordered new covers, the missing bolt, and the gasket just in case.  

So even the aluminium cover was trashed. That's quite extensive damage for a soft landing, good to know; unfortunately, I am not aware of any protective side covers that would prevent such damage.

Sounds like you ordered all the right items to fix the bike, let us know how the installation goes.
Back to top Go down
TwelveGaugeSage




PostSubject: Re: Questions about Broken Clutch Cover   Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:18 pm

johnkol wrote:
TwelveGaugeSage wrote:
The bolt and the pieces of the covers that it went through are gone.  By torqued off, I mean made a small hole through which I can see the clutch plates.  I didn't notice the damage until I started riding again and smelled oil.  I wasn't expecting any damage considering how softly it landed.  I ordered new covers, the missing bolt, and the gasket just in case.  

So even the aluminium cover was trashed. That's quite extensive damage for a soft landing, good to know; unfortunately, I am not aware of any protective side covers that would prevent such damage.

Sounds like you ordered all the right items to fix the bike, let us know how the installation goes.

Yeah, it's a bit ridiculous, but I suppose most bikes have freak spots that won't take any kind of impact. I'm going to take a hard look at it when I install the new parts. I suspect it would have survived if not for that bolt, but it also may have been worse if it just landed on the threaded part that the bolt anchors into. It's definitely something I would change if redesigning the cover/guard, even if it takes a freak accident to mess it up.
Back to top Go down
morgan9283




PostSubject: Re: Questions about Broken Clutch Cover   Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:45 pm

TwelveGaugeSage wrote:
I got caught at a dead end with a really rough rocky turn around and slowly tipped the bike in the process.  Apparently that little bolt holding on the clutch cover took the weight of the bike and snapped off taking a piece of the cover with it.  Was a very soft fall, but weight and pressure... budah



My questions are:
Do I just need to buy the cover, gasket, and missing bolt?  
Is there a worthwhile aftermarket option?  
Is there a worthwhile aftermarket guard?  
To replace it, I just drain the oil, unbolt the old, bolt on the new, and refill the oil, correct?
Any bits of wisdom that may be handy?

I really wanted to ride tomorrow too.  cry

That's an unfortunate break though on the scale of things a pretty straightforward repair.  You can avoid draining the oil by laying the bike on its side during the repair.  I think you have to remove the brake pedal as well.

You can still ride: either remove the protective cover or drill a hole and wire it to something, maybe the brake switch.  You might also get away with gluing the cover to the engine case with high temp silicone.

I don't know of aftermarket options though I haven't looked.  I've dropped my bike on the right side dozens of times and never damaged that cover, I think you just got lucky.

-morgan
Back to top Go down
TwelveGaugeSage




PostSubject: Re: Questions about Broken Clutch Cover   Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:20 pm

morgan9283 wrote:


You can still ride: either remove the protective cover or drill a hole and wire it to something, maybe the brake switch.  You might also get away with gluing the cover to the engine case with high temp silicone.

I don't know of aftermarket options though I haven't looked.  I've dropped my bike on the right side dozens of times and never damaged that cover, I think you just got lucky.

-morgan

I'm not sure you noticed, but the plastic one isn't much of a worry, its the metal one that has a hole in it through which I can see the clutch plates. If not for that hole and the oil that flings out of it, I would probably still ride it.
Back to top Go down
morgan9283




PostSubject: Re: Questions about Broken Clutch Cover   Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:56 pm

TwelveGaugeSage wrote:
morgan9283 wrote:


You can still ride: either remove the protective cover or drill a hole and wire it to something, maybe the brake switch.  You might also get away with gluing the cover to the engine case with high temp silicone.

I don't know of aftermarket options though I haven't looked.  I've dropped my bike on the right side dozens of times and never damaged that cover, I think you just got lucky.

-morgan

I'm not sure you noticed, but the plastic one isn't much of a worry, its the metal one that has a hole in it through which I can see the clutch plates.  If not for that hole and the oil that flings out of it, I would probably still ride it.    

Oh, I see that now; I indeed missed that. Good job, that's a unique bit of damage. You may want to change your oil as you may have chunks of the case in your oil.

-morgan
Back to top Go down
TwelveGaugeSage




PostSubject: Re: Questions about Broken Clutch Cover   Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:19 pm

Got it all back together. I didn't end up using the new gasket I bought, as the old one looked unharmed. I drained the oil that had about 50 miles on it and didn't see any evidence of aluminum bits, though I did get a tiny bit of the usual magnetic slime on the drain plug magnet.

One note for anyone who runs into this same problem, there is a foam pad that goes behind the plastic cover. My wife managed to X-Acto knife the old one off for me, but it's only a couple dollars if you order a new one. I super-glued it onto the plastic like the old one seemed to be. I haven't test ridden it yet, but everything looks to be in order now.
Back to top Go down
johnkol




PostSubject: Re: Questions about Broken Clutch Cover   Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:39 am

There is an aftermarket aluminium cover that you can use instead of the OEM plastic, but that too uses the same bolt to attach to the clutch cover, so it probably wouldn't have prevented the damage you sustained.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Questions about Broken Clutch Cover   

Back to top Go down
 
Questions about Broken Clutch Cover
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Technical :: What Broke?-
Jump to: