Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce

Go down 
+2
johnkol
gnarlynate
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
gnarlynate

New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce Empty
PostSubject: New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce   New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce EmptyWed Nov 08, 2017 12:03 am

Hey guys! New to the WRR, but really liking her so far. I replaced the chain and sprockets with a new DID Chain and SunStar Sprockets (14-48) The problem I have ran into is now the front sprocket now makes a bit of a metallic grinding noise and the chain is bouncing quite a bit on the top run when going down the road slow or fast. Thanks for all the help Very happy
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce   New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce EmptyWed Nov 08, 2017 4:05 am

gnarlynate wrote:
I replaced the chain and sprockets with a new DID Chain and SunStar Sprockets (14-48) The problem I have ran into is now the front sprocket now makes a bit of a metallic grinding noise and the chain is bouncing quite a bit on the top run when going down the road slow or fast.

Sounds like a frozen link in the chain; did you use a link connector or a rivet one?

Put the bike on a center stand, engine off, neutral gear, slowly rotate the rear wheel observing the chain as it goes over the sprocket: do you observe any kinks in the chain?

Is the chain slack correctly adjusted?
Back to top Go down
gnarlynate

PostSubject: Re: New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce   New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce EmptyWed Nov 08, 2017 11:19 am

I used a clip style master link. I have always had really good luck with them on my bigger bikes.

I put this beast on the stand and did just that. The chain rolls and bends perfectly. No binding or pinching, but when I turn the bike on and drop her into first gear even at idle the chain bounces on the top section. Going down the road it does it as well but at a higher frequency.

I put on the new chain and sprockets then adjusted the chain. After I rode the bike for about 150 miles I readjusted the chain to what the service bulletin showed. 13mm from the swing arm. Never seen a chain bounce like this before GAHHHH
Back to top Go down
BillMoore

PostSubject: Re: New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce   New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce EmptyWed Nov 08, 2017 1:39 pm

Check the alignment of the sprockets with an alignment tool like this one:

https://www.revzilla.com/product/motion-pro-chain-alignment-tool

The marks on the adjusters aren't always perfect and an out of alignment rear wheel could cause this.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce   New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce EmptyWed Nov 08, 2017 5:21 pm

gnarlynate wrote:
After I rode the bike for about 150 miles I readjusted the chain to what the service bulletin showed. 13mm from the swing arm.

Where did you get this number? User Manual (Page 6-30) states that chain slack should be between 38 to 48 mm.
Back to top Go down
BillMoore

PostSubject: Re: New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce   New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce EmptyWed Nov 08, 2017 6:15 pm

I think you are talking two different ways of measuring slack. The owners manual says to measure down from the swing arm at the midpoint to the top of the chain while pushing the chain up with 50 N of force. That measurement should be between 8-13mm. Personally I would go closer to 8 (looser) than 13 (tighter)...

I think you are referring to the delta between up and down of the chain at the midpoint, which is the more typical way of measuring slack, but not how the owners manual says to do it...
Back to top Go down
gnarlynate

PostSubject: Re: New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce   New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce EmptyWed Nov 08, 2017 7:01 pm

johnkol is right. There are 2 different methods. I went with what was in the manual which is 8-13mm from the swingarm. I'm at around 10mm. I figured I'd shoot for the midpoint just to be on the safe side. Even with more slack it still bounces about the same.

BillMoore I moved the rear wheel position a bit to the left and a bit to the right while I was idling in first gear on the stand with the alignment bolts. No change in the chain bounce. I used a laser level to see how the sprocket aligned with the chain, and it looks dead on forward to aft.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce   New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce EmptyWed Nov 08, 2017 7:39 pm

Apparently the chain slack adjustment method must have changed for later model years; mine is a 2008.

In any case, when you had the bike at the center stand and the chain was jumping, was it jumping at the rate of the front or the rear sprocket? Or was there no correlation with the sprockets?
Back to top Go down
BillMoore

PostSubject: Re: New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce   New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce EmptyWed Nov 08, 2017 8:51 pm

I just noticed the part about the "metallic grinding noise"... Did you by any chance try to mount the front sprocket cover? Or are you using an aftermarket case protector? I know the stock cover won't fit with a 14 tooth sprocket (you can make it work by just using the outer cover and the metal spacers from the inner piece, but this gives you zero case protection). I'd try to figure out what is making contact with the chain to produce that grinding noise.
Back to top Go down
gnarlynate

PostSubject: Re: New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce   New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce EmptyThu Nov 09, 2017 1:09 am

johnkol: Mine is a 2008 as well. From what I saw in my online manual you can use either method, but the 8-13mm supersedes what was in the manual. 6 in one half a dozen in the other is my thought process. The method measuring from the swingarm to the chain is just easier to measure to me. The other method is what I have done on my other dirt bikes.

No correlation between the sprockets was apparent. More speed of the engine... When accelerating the chain smoothed out but when at a constant speed it would start to bounce again :(

BillMoore: You are right. I had to use the outer cover and the metal spacers from the inner piece. I didn't realize the stock parts wouldn't accommodate the larger front sprocket. I have a chain guard-case protector ordered but she is still in the mail. I dont see anything right off that the chain looks to be grinding on... I only hear what sounds like metal scraping when riding... Maybe that noise is from not having the sprocket inclosed fully like before? Any thoughts?!
Back to top Go down
gnarlynate

PostSubject: Re: New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce   New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce EmptyThu Nov 09, 2017 2:11 pm

Weeeeeell fellas I talked with our Yamaha shop here in OKC and they said going to bigger sprocket on the front and rear will make the chain sound different as well as bounce a bit more. Makes sense since the angle of the dangle has changed. One mechanic rides a WRR and said his did something very similar on the top run, but only under heavier acceleration which is opposite than me. Mine bounces when at a steady speed... Anyone else ever have the same experience? Much thanks amigos!!!!!
Back to top Go down
BillMoore

PostSubject: Re: New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce   New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce EmptyThu Nov 09, 2017 2:20 pm

I'm running 14-50, and I didn't notice any change in sound, definitely not any grinding sounds, and I don't have any bounce...
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce   New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce EmptyThu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

It really sounds like youre lugging the engine too much, try same gear with more speed, or test by going a gear lower.
Back to top Go down
gnarlynate

PostSubject: Re: New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce   New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce EmptyThu Nov 09, 2017 4:42 pm

Weeeeeeeell Jens Eskildsen its true we have to rev these lil guys pretty hard. I mean they will take it no problem but this issue seems like a constant bounce not just every now and again.
Back to top Go down
gnarlynate

PostSubject: Re: New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce   New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce EmptyThu Nov 09, 2017 4:51 pm

Question... Would a rear 48 tooth sprocket for a YZ250F Fit the WRR? I'm looking to troubleshoot to see if the sprocket I got is bad. A buddy said I could use one of his from his YZ for a test run. Looks like the same sprocket dunno
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce   New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce EmptyThu Nov 09, 2017 5:45 pm

gnarlynate wrote:
I had to use the outer cover and the metal spacers from the inner piece. I didn't realize the stock parts wouldn't accommodate the larger front sprocket. I have a chain guard-case protector ordered but she is still in the mail. I dont see anything right off that the chain looks to be grinding on... I only hear what sounds like metal scraping when riding... Maybe that noise is from not having the sprocket inclosed fully like before? Any thoughts?!

I have the exact same gearing, 14-48. I have the Zeta case guard, and the clearance between it and the chain is 2mm at most; the chain does not contact the guard when I rotate the wheel by hand, nor does it contact it at any other instance. So if you don't see anything touching when examined closely at very low speed, then nothing should be touching at any other speed.

Idiot check: the chain is a 520, right?
Back to top Go down
gnarlynate

PostSubject: Re: New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce   New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce EmptyFri Nov 10, 2017 12:05 pm

johnkol This gearing is pretty close to stock and supposedly it stops the chain slider from being worn out to quickly. I also like the idea of tossing a 13 tooth front sprocket on for some real dirt work. I dont see the chain touching the spacers or anything else when I spin the wheel by hand. I dont see the chain bouncing when I rotate the wheel by hand either... Only when I turn the bike on and drop it into gear does the chain bounce. Any ideas on that?

Good call on the idot check man! I double checked and the box says 520 and so does the part number. That was my first thought lol
Back to top Go down
JemmyOtis

PostSubject: Re: New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce   New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce EmptyFri Nov 10, 2017 1:05 pm

gnarlynate wrote:
I put this beast on the stand and did just that. The chain rolls and bends perfectly. No binding or pinching, but when I turn the bike on and drop her into first gear even at idle the chain bounces on the top section.

How about posting a video of that?
Back to top Go down
gnarlynate

PostSubject: Re: New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce   New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce EmptyFri Nov 10, 2017 3:56 pm

jotis how can I Post a video on here? Forgive the ignorance... This is my first forum tough Is there an app for that? Seems a forum is a little less user friendly than Facebook or other social media platforms. The video would definitely be a great way for me to show you guys whats happening Very happy
Back to top Go down
gnarlynate

PostSubject: Re: New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce   New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce EmptyFri Nov 10, 2017 4:53 pm

New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce 20171110
New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce 20171111
Back to top Go down
BillMoore

PostSubject: Re: New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce   New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce EmptyFri Nov 10, 2017 6:59 pm

How does it look at the lower rear chain guard? Any contact there?
Back to top Go down
gnarlynate

PostSubject: Re: New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce   New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce EmptyFri Nov 10, 2017 7:25 pm

BillMoore No contact on there. Doesn't touch top bottom or side. I looked on youtube and saw a few other people had similar problems when their chain was new on different bikes like V-Strom 650's and Bandits. Some people had success when they loosened the chain quite a bit. I think tomorrow I will loosen this bad boy to its max limit and see if that helps. Thanks for all the help guys!

PS Im trying to load a video on youtube now about the chain... Its about a minute long but is taking foooorever to load :(
Back to top Go down
gnarlynate

PostSubject: Re: New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce   New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce EmptySat Nov 11, 2017 1:27 am

Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce   New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce EmptySat Nov 11, 2017 3:56 am

That noise coming from the front sprocket is the chain rollers contacting the sprocket.
Normal noise.
If you have ever seen the original Yamaha front sprocket, you saw rubber dampers stuck to each side of the front sprocket.
They are there to help silence that noise.
Those rollers make noise because they are not sealed by any O-ring or X-ring and merely bounce around.
Lubing the chain will immediately reduce the noise because the lube gets on top of and under the roller and cushions the metal-to-metal contact.

Chain motion looks normal to me.
That will happen without a load being put on the chain (I highly doubt that happens when you are on the throttle and climbing a hill).

I have found out the hard way that if you intend on keeping the chain slack near the minimum specification shown in the Owner's Manual, you will be making constant chain adjustments.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce   New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce EmptySun Nov 12, 2017 1:21 pm

Yup, seems perfectly normal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce   New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce Empty

Back to top Go down

New 14-48 Sprocket causing chain to bounce
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next