Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

How many miles on X chain & sprocket??

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mash100

mash100

How many miles on X chain & sprocket?? Empty
PostSubject: How many miles on X chain & sprocket??   How many miles on X chain & sprocket?? EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 7:44 am

My X is coming up for 13,500 miles on original chain & sprockets. I had 12,000 main service done at Dealer, & they didn't mention ANYTHING about the condition of these parts, so I assumed all was OK. However, last weekend I pulled the front sprocket cover to clean out gunk, & found sprocket had started to hook, & teeth look like they are some 80% to 90% toasted.... So, I have booked in for replacement chain & sprocket set for 2 weeks time. Chain looks fine - i have adjusted it maybe one mark on the adjuster blocks in 10,000 miles.
How many miles did others get out of their chains/sprockets?????
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on X chain & sprocket??   How many miles on X chain & sprocket?? EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 11:47 am

You did great! I only got about 8k on mine, & had some broken teeth on the front. Most people don't get that much. Of course, for purely street riding, your wear should be longer.. not as much dirt, mud & grit to wear them out.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on X chain & sprocket??   How many miles on X chain & sprocket?? EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 6:06 pm

9.5K miles. The sprockets probably could have held out a little longer but the chain was toast, probably as a result of sawing through the swing arm.
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on X chain & sprocket??   How many miles on X chain & sprocket?? EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 7:17 am

Arkmage wrote:
9.5K miles. The sprockets probably could have held out a little longer but the chain was toast, probably as a result of sawing through the swing arm.
eeek I kinda expected my chain to go first, & therefore thought the sprockets would not really need checking, particularly the front. I have only made very minor adjustments to the chain, & its within spec. I guess I'm not riding hard enough!!!!
Oh, & yeah, I hardly ever ride in rain or dirt, although winter road salt took its toll on the X.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on X chain & sprocket??   How many miles on X chain & sprocket?? EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 1:13 pm

You're mileage seems reasonable if you drive nice and stay on the pavement. Mine spent some time in the dirt/sand and I'm trying to learn to clutch up wheelies which adds to the chain wear. I knew my chain was toast when I had to tighten it everyday after only 30-40 miles.
Back to top Go down
KLRchickie

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on X chain & sprocket??   How many miles on X chain & sprocket?? EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 2:01 am

My X has just over 5000km on it and the stock chain is in pretty nasty shape. It jingles terribly when you kick it and is somewhat kinked. The replacement is sitting on the shelf at home & I'm ekeing out a few more km before changing it. The adjustment isn't changing rapidly on me yet, so I know it isn't likely to fail catastrophically on me, but the chain is thrashed.

I also run dirt wheels on my X at times, ride through all sorts of wet & crap, and probably don't clean & lube it enough Shog
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on X chain & sprocket??   How many miles on X chain & sprocket?? EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 7:46 am

5000km - that's like 3000 miles eeek eeek You must thrash the cr*p out of that thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Surely you must have other major wear issues, like toasted clutch, constant tyre replacement, fried brakes, bearings, etc??
Back to top Go down
KLRchickie

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on X chain & sprocket??   How many miles on X chain & sprocket?? EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 4:39 am

mash100 wrote:
5000km - that's like 3000 miles eeek eeek You must thrash the cr*p out of that thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Surely you must have other major wear issues, like toasted clutch, constant tyre replacement, fried brakes, bearings, etc??

Nope, my clutch is just ducky! When you ride in a fashion that thrashes the chain, you tend not to thrash the clutch. It remains to be seen whether my cam chain needs to be replaced at 17,000km like Zed's. My stock tires are just about toasted now & I'm considering replacing my front brake pads.
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on X chain & sprocket??   How many miles on X chain & sprocket?? EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 8:18 am

Just got chain/sprockets replaced, & what a difference!!!! First off, she runs nearly silent, without all those weird scratching/zzzzzz noises. Second, I raised her up on an axle stand when I got back from dealer to clean off excess lube that splattered wheel on way home - the wheel now freely rotates wink
Anyway, replacement is stock gearing, but Tsubaki gold X ring chain with Renthal sprockets - they look nice! I also bought some Putoline Tech Chain, & intend to use wax only on this chain. A bit of an experiment, but I want to see if there is any difference between wax & lube long term......
Oh, & really good dealer - they even suggested I drop by after a week to check chain tension/bedding-in. bow
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How many miles on X chain & sprocket??   How many miles on X chain & sprocket?? Empty

Back to top Go down

How many miles on X chain & sprocket??
Page 1 of 1