Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Parts for master links available?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

Parts for master links available? Empty
PostSubject: Parts for master links available?   Parts for master links available? EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 10:36 pm

I appear to have gotten some master links with brittle lock plates...

Parts for master links available? Zz310

I bought a bunch of master links with my first parts order when I bought my WR back in 2008.

I've used two since then.  Haven't had any problems with them while riding coming off.  Switching out the latest one, I've had three of the clips break before one snapped into place as they're supposed to, on three different, new, master links.

Now that I think of it, one of the earlier master links, the clip broke when I was removing it to put on a new chain and master link.

I haven't changed the way I do this, so I'm suspicious of these clips and whether they're brittle and not as springy as they should properly be.

Any source of just the locking clips for master links out there, or is it just the full meal deal with these master links?

I'd rather not just throw these out and buy new ones because I'm suspicious of the locking clips on the master link.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Parts for master links available?   Parts for master links available? EmptyTue Sep 24, 2019 4:28 am

The clips and links are different from chain to chain, as even with the same size, like a 520 chain, the diameter of the pins and width of them has small differences from one brand to another.
So I dont think you can find generic lock plates.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Parts for master links available?   Parts for master links available? EmptyTue Sep 24, 2019 10:44 am

Thanks; I guess that explains why I couldn't find any, including asking at a few motorcycle shops if they'd even heard of such a thing. And it probably doesn't happen often enough for there to be a demand for them.

The local shop sells name brand master links at $3/apiece, so it's not a huge deal. But throwing out $20 worth of unused master links because you can't trust them is annoying.
Back to top Go down
morgan9283

PostSubject: Re: Parts for master links available?   Parts for master links available? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2019 1:26 pm

I believe you just need to replace teh whole master link with the same brand and size: ie a DID 520VX needs a DID 520VX master link. It might be sufficient to just buy any DID 520 master link. I have also successfully safety wired a master link in place though you didn't hear that from me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parts for master links available?   Parts for master links available? Empty

Back to top Go down

Parts for master links available?
Page 1 of 1