Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Charging capabilities?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BrandonA.

Charging capabilities? Empty
PostSubject: Charging capabilities?   Charging capabilities? EmptySun Aug 02, 2020 10:03 pm

Hello I bought a (3.1A Dual Port Power Socket for Motorcycle) on ebay. I hooked it up and plugged in my cell phone with usb cable. I use the phone for GPS when I ride so I would like it to stay charged off the bikes stator. The charge light comes on when I plug in the phone but it loses charge on the cell phone as I drive around with the screen on for GPS tracking. After a 3-4 hour ride my phone went from 100% charge to 38%. This is not good....... I understand automotive charging systems but not motorcycles.

P.S. my bike always starts just fine so I believe the battery is being charged ok...

Dumb question time: This my first motorcycle in 30 years so....

-Should a 2010 WR250R be able to charge a cell phone while driving around?

-How many volts should I look for when testing the bike at idle vs revved up?

-I tested the usb to cell phone cable in the house charging the phone with the same cable and it charged just fine using a wall outlet. So I don't believe it can be the cable from the (3.1A Dual Port Power Socket for Motorcycle) to the cell. But it could be the (3.1A Dual Port Power Socket for Motorcycle) I bought from ebay... Not sure how to test this cable???

-Can anyone recommend a reliable 3.1 Dual Port Power Socket??????

Thanks!!!

Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Charging capabilities?   Charging capabilities? EmptySun Aug 02, 2020 11:11 pm

I had the same problem with my phone GPS while hiking and charging it with an external bank: the charge would steadily decline.

The root cause was twofold: GPS uses a lot of power, and my battery was not in top condition. Basically the battery could not absorb charge at the rate the GPS was sucking it away.

Is this an Android phone you have? With a replaceable battery?

BrandonA. likes this post

Back to top Go down
Starpower

PostSubject: Re: Charging capabilities?   Charging capabilities? EmptyMon Aug 03, 2020 11:00 am

I suspect the charger is bad. I use a dual port 2A on mine and it easily keeps the GPS/phone fully charged. 3-4 hours is about right for the phone battery alone on my iPhone 7. Some phones cannot take a charge as fast as 3A so be careful there. An iPhone has about a .5Ah battery at 3.7V. If it will power the GPS for just one hour then it is drawing .5A. Being that it goes longer then 1 hour the draw is much lower then .5A and any charger over .5A will more than keep up with the GPS and cell power. I purchased mine here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0824HHZ3W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wanted a on/off switch and wired to the battery so I can charge with the bike off.

BrandonA. likes this post

Back to top Go down
BrandonA.

PostSubject: Re: Charging capabilities?   Charging capabilities? EmptyTue Aug 04, 2020 11:15 am

I have an android phone. I don't know if the battery is replaceable I suspect it is... Thanks for the ideas and link I will have to do some more research!
Back to top Go down
Starpower

PostSubject: Re: Charging capabilities?   Charging capabilities? EmptyTue Aug 04, 2020 5:21 pm

BrandonA. wrote:
I have an android phone. I don't know if the battery is replaceable I suspect it is... Thanks for the ideas and link I will have to do some more research!

Nothing wrong with your phone battery, 3-4 hours powering a GPS is not abnormal. If your phone has enough battery to make a 15 min call then the battery is plenty good enough to power the phone and all open apps with GPS running WITH a 2A working charger plugged into it. It is not possible for loads to exceed 2A.

Use a known good charger at home while running the GPS, you'll know.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Charging capabilities?   Charging capabilities? EmptyTue Aug 04, 2020 7:58 pm

Starpower wrote:
Nothing wrong with your phone battery, 3-4 hours powering a GPS is not abnormal. If your phone has enough battery to make a 15 min call then the battery is plenty good enough to power the phone and all open apps with GPS running WITH a 2A working charger plugged into it. It is not possible for loads to exceed 2A.

This is not true. It is not strictly how much power the app uses versus how much power you pump into the phone; the battery needs to be in a good enough condition to accept this charge too.

For example, the battery on my Samsung S5 had enough power for more than 6 hours of heavy use (no GPS though), yet when using GPS the battery could not accept the charge at a rate to match the drain. My iPhone that is relatively new and has a strong battery, does not have this problem. (Then again, its battery doesn't drain that fast when using GPS, but that's another story).
Back to top Go down
Starpower

PostSubject: Re: Charging capabilities?   Charging capabilities? EmptyThu Aug 06, 2020 11:37 am

johnkol wrote:
Starpower wrote:

This is not true. It is not strictly how much power the app uses versus how much power you pump into the phone; the battery needs to be in a good enough condition to accept this charge too.

For example, the battery on my Samsung S5 had enough power for more than 6 hours of heavy use (no GPS though), yet when using GPS the battery could not accept the charge at a rate to match the drain. My iPhone that is relatively new and has a strong battery, does not have this problem. (Then again, its battery doesn't drain that fast when using GPS, but that's another story).

I've only had iPhones so don't know about Samsung. But I can attest to an iPhone 6 that would not hold a charge overnight turned off and "fully charged" would not go 3 min. on a call. Would run the GPS all day on my 2A charger. My main point is 3-4 hours running the GPS is not a sign of a marginal battery.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Charging capabilities?   Charging capabilities? Empty

Back to top Go down

Charging capabilities?
Page 1 of 1