Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Rear shock settings?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
BrandonA.

Rear shock settings? Empty
PostSubject: Rear shock settings?   Rear shock settings? EmptySun Aug 23, 2020 9:23 pm

Hi guys, I have a 2010 WR that I have been riding around this summer. I have done a little trail riding and some highway miles. I have the rear shock set to the softest setting for compression and the firmest setting for rebound.
-I weigh 175 pounds with a bad back so I am looking for a softer ride in the rear. I feel it is too firm for my liking.

-The rebound also seems to kick back too hard...

-Am I asking too much for a softer ride? Has anyone else at my weight noticed the same issues?

-I have found rebuild threads however I am looking for a thread or video or someone to talk to who can help me re-valve the shock to my liking. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have already searched.... Thanks! Brandon
Back to top Go down
BrandonA.

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings?   Rear shock settings? EmptyThu Aug 27, 2020 2:34 pm

I measured sag yesterday it was at 2.25" with 5 threads left on the shock body to loosen the pre-load. Not the 3-4" that is recommended so I just loosened the pre-load to just one thread showing on the shock body and my sag is still 2.25". The bike lowered .75" by loosening the nut 4 threads... Does this mean my spring is too stiff for my body weight if I can't get the sag between 3-4" like it is supposed to be set at??????   I am missing something?????

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
BrandonA.

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings?   Rear shock settings? EmptyThu Aug 27, 2020 4:11 pm

Ok just for giggles I loosened the threads as far as they go sag was still 2.25" so then I tightened it up so 10 threads are showing to see if the sag would become smaller as it should when you tighten the preload. It stayed almost exactly the same at 2.87" almost exactly the same. I am wondering if the previous owner installed a stiffer spring? It does not seem to change sag (enought to matter) no matter how I adjust the pre-load on the spring????

My spring measures 8.75" long with no pre-load on it at all..... Is there a length for the stock spring I could check this measurement with???

Thanks!!!
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings?   Rear shock settings? EmptyThu Aug 27, 2020 4:49 pm

The OEM spring free length is 220mm (8.66"), so it matches what you measured. However, this does not mean that your spring is the OEM one, and from the measurements you have provided, it is highly unlikely that it is.

There are about a dozen threads showing above the compression collars on my spring, and I get the correct sag of 3.5" for a weight of 130 lbs. For your weight, I would have expected you to be close to max compression to get the correct sag, but it is exactly the opposite from what you say.

It seems that you need a softer spring; it shouldn't be that difficult to find an OEM one given how many people replace theirs for a stiffer one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock settings?   Rear shock settings? Empty

Back to top Go down

Rear shock settings?
Page 1 of 1