Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Draining and killing batteries...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
sdowiat

Draining and killing batteries... Empty
PostSubject: Draining and killing batteries...   Draining and killing batteries... EmptyThu Sep 03, 2020 6:56 pm

Mine is an 08 with about 4.5k miles and is in really good shape. For several years ( came to me with it ) it's had the FMF tuner and pipe. I put on the let turn signals, brush busters, Flatland plate and radiator guard...

I recently needed to replace the battery.. it was getting old and kind of slower and spinning the engine over and if I didn't ride for a week or so it wouldn't want to start. So I got a new battery just like I've done about twice before in the 7 years I've owned her. Same brand and everything. The new battery worked great.... until I tried to start her again 3 days later. Completely dead. I charged it and it worked again but was dead again in about 3 days. I thought I'd gotten a bad battery. Amazon actually just refunded my money because there was no provisions for returning it.. I ordered another battery but swapped brands just to help batteries if the problem continued... And it HAS continued.

I can charge the battery and it appears to start and run fine. I can ride and it restarts well. But after sitting about 48 hours it doesn't want to start easily and after about 4 days ( 96 hrs ) it won't start at all. I've intentionally left the battery tender off of it during this time just in case IT was the problem somehow but I've ruled that out now.

I'm no good at electrical... Don't know where to start. Got any ideas? If I take it to the dealer will they likely be able to track down the culprit or do I need to hunt someone specifically more electric or something?

Thanks for your thoughts.
stan

Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Draining and killing batteries...   Draining and killing batteries... EmptyFri Sep 04, 2020 12:55 am

Sounds like there is a parasitic draw somewhere.

Are there any electrical accessories on the bike?

sdowiat likes this post

Back to top Go down
Starpower

PostSubject: Re: Draining and killing batteries...   Draining and killing batteries... EmptySun Sep 06, 2020 11:26 am

johnkol wrote:
Sounds like there is a parasitic draw somewhere.

Are there any electrical accessories on the bike?

Yep, there is a load on that battery somewhere. Could be hard to find, but start with accessories. Does the key actually, shut down the system?
Back to top Go down
WRinSC

PostSubject: Use a multimeter to check for current draw   Draining and killing batteries... EmptyMon Sep 07, 2020 11:16 pm

Disconnect one of the battery terminals, and then connect a multimeter between the cable and the battery, with the meter set to current (Amps). With the key off, there should be no current flowing. If the meter reads any current, there is something that is staying on, even though the key is turned off. Is there a USB charging port somewhere? Those usually draw a small amount of current, and depending how it's wired, they sometimes stay on all the time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Draining and killing batteries...   Draining and killing batteries... Empty

Back to top Go down

Draining and killing batteries...
Page 1 of 1