Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Slop or backlash in countershaft sprocket

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
WRinSC

Slop or backlash in countershaft sprocket Empty
PostSubject: Slop or backlash in countershaft sprocket   Slop or backlash in countershaft sprocket EmptyFri Sep 18, 2020 10:45 pm

I was riding very slowly on my 2012 WR250R, and when I was on-and-off with the throttle, I noticed I could hear a "clunk" when I gave it a little throttle.
I jacked up the bike, and put it in 1st gear, and when I turn the back wheel, the countershaft sprocket turns a lot. There is a ton of "slop" or "backlash" in the countershaft. It rotates more than one tooth on my 13 tooth sprocket, which would be around 30 to 35 degrees. I compared it to my KLX250S, and it has less than half the slop. Maybe half a tooth on a 12-tooth sprocket.
Is this a normal amount of backlash for a WR? Can anyone check theirs and see?
Back to top Go down
on2wheels52

PostSubject: Re: Slop or backlash in countershaft sprocket   Slop or backlash in countershaft sprocket EmptySat Sep 19, 2020 4:15 pm

About a tooth & 1/4 'slop' on mine (14 tooth).
Perhaps one of those 'they all do that' things.

WRinSC likes this post

Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Slop or backlash in countershaft sprocket   Slop or backlash in countershaft sprocket EmptySat Sep 19, 2020 4:45 pm

I suggest you remove your front sprocket to check, because it sounds like the shaft splines may have been chewed up.

WRinSC likes this post

Back to top Go down
WRinSC

PostSubject: Re: Slop or backlash in countershaft sprocket   Slop or backlash in countershaft sprocket EmptySun Sep 20, 2020 10:23 am

johnkol wrote:
I suggest you remove your front sprocket to check, because it sounds like the shaft splines may have been chewed up.

I checked and the splines aren't chewed up.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Slop or backlash in countershaft sprocket   Slop or backlash in countershaft sprocket EmptySun Sep 20, 2020 6:49 pm

I can't quite follow you here; if you checked that the splines are fine, then you should have observed where the play between countershaft axle and sprocket is coming from.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Slop or backlash in countershaft sprocket   Slop or backlash in countershaft sprocket EmptyMon Sep 21, 2020 6:16 am

The OP is referring to being able to rotate the shaft and sprocket a certain amount in either direction before it stops while in 1st gear.

I believe it's the normal characteristics of the gear, themselves.
Take a look at a parts catalogue and some pics of actual motorcycle transmission gears on the Internet.
The areas called the gear dogs and the slots they engage with will allow this movement.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Slop or backlash in countershaft sprocket   Slop or backlash in countershaft sprocket EmptyTue Sep 22, 2020 1:56 am

I thought that the OP was talking about play between countershaft axle and countershaft sprocket, but re-reading his note I see that he might have been referring to play in the entire drivetrain. In that case, this play is common to all motorcycles, and as YZEtc said, it primarily arises from the way a constant-mesh gearbox is constructed.

I presume this must be the OP's first motorcycle.
Back to top Go down
WRinSC

PostSubject: Re: Slop or backlash in countershaft sprocket   Slop or backlash in countershaft sprocket EmptyThu Sep 24, 2020 9:22 pm

johnkol wrote:
I thought that the OP was talking about play between countershaft axle and countershaft sprocket, but re-reading his note I see that he might have been referring to play in the entire drivetrain. In that case, this play is common to all motorcycles, and as YZEtc said, it primarily arises from the way a constant-mesh gearbox is constructed.

I presume this must be the OP's first motorcycle.

Yes, I'm talking about the countershaft itself having a lot of play in it. There's no play at all between the sprocket and shaft.
The WRR is not my first motorcycle. Like I said above, my KXL250S has less than half as much play. At the moment I also have a CRF230F and a XR100R, and neither one of them have this much play.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slop or backlash in countershaft sprocket   Slop or backlash in countershaft sprocket Empty

Back to top Go down

Slop or backlash in countershaft sprocket
Page 1 of 1