Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

What to bring on the trip?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bengtstefanp

bengtstefanp

What to bring on the trip? Empty
PostSubject: What to bring on the trip?   What to bring on the trip? EmptyThu Feb 04, 2021 8:24 am

Hello all.

I have the ide of using my WR250R most of the time riding this summer.
On my XT 660 R I have som stuff with me that I have to bring, like som electronics and switches
and som things that I can't fix on my own. Hardwear is ok but the electrical shit is harder to fix
without the right gear.
What do you bring?
Electrical first of all.
Switches, sprakplugs and whats needed in that part of the engine?
Cabels?
What ever you bring, just give me a hint so I will live another day if the shit
hits the fan.

BRG

StefanP
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: What to bring on the trip?   What to bring on the trip? EmptyFri Feb 05, 2021 1:25 am

I don't carry anything specifically related to electronics. However, I do carry the necessary tools to take apart all the plastics and tank in order to be able to access all the wires and connectors.

The WRR does not have any electronics problems; the only minor exception is a cluster of connectors right next to the frame by the radiator, some people have reported one of those connectors becoming undone (although it has a locking clasp).

What kind of electronic-specific spares and tools were you carrying for the XT?
Back to top Go down
beer goggle

beer goggle

PostSubject: Re: What to bring on the trip?   What to bring on the trip? EmptyFri Feb 05, 2021 1:34 pm

Interesting, I've never considered carrying anything specifically orientated to fixing electrical issues, the beauty of Japanese bike ownership.

I owned a 2006 XT660X from new for 3 or 4 years did 50000kms and the only electrical issue I had was the ECU dying on me...nothing major wink
Back to top Go down
bengtstefanp

bengtstefanp

PostSubject: Re: What to bring on the trip?   What to bring on the trip? EmptyFri Feb 05, 2021 4:17 pm

I got a XT 660 R and luckily I have had no break down.
In my sparepart box I have a ECU, some switches that I have to use if they break down, don't remember witch one, sorry.
But some I need to have otherwise the bike won't start.

Locks like to change the ECU is a big fuzz...or is it quite straight forward if you follow the book?
What I hear from other is like...push that bottom 10 seconds and the turn the key for 15 seconds and the
turn of the key och push the two bottoms on the speedo meter...bla bla bla etc etc etc...
I hope I don't have to change it.

For me I want to bring some stuff just to be able to fix things and
not have to get the sparparts send to me and I have to wait for it.

I just curious if some one bring some bits and pieces as spare parts?
otherwise the WRR looks to be a bond prof bike so far, not done many kilometers om in yet but I really like it.

Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: What to bring on the trip?   What to bring on the trip? EmptyFri Feb 05, 2021 10:11 pm

bengtstefanp wrote:
Locks like to change the ECU is a big fuzz...or is it quite straight forward if you follow the book?
What I hear from other is like...push that bottom 10 seconds and the turn the key for 15 seconds and the
turn of the key och push the two bottoms on the speedo meter...bla bla bla etc etc etc...
I hope I don't have to change it.

Are you sure that the ECU is what you have in mind? Why would you have to push buttons or turn the key in order to change it?

The ECU is located under the seat, on the rear fender, held on by a rubber band. You just unplug the cable connector, remove the ECU, and plug the cable connector to the new ECU. You don't have to turn the key or push any buttons.

Was the ECU in the XT a weak point with a documented history of failures? The one on the WRR doesn't seem to have any problems, so why would you spend $500 for an item that you may never need?

If you really want to carry spare parts, then get a fuel pump and learn how to change it, because this is a weak point on the WRR with hundreds of documented failures (mine included).
Back to top Go down
beer goggle

beer goggle

PostSubject: Re: What to bring on the trip?   What to bring on the trip? EmptySat Feb 06, 2021 1:59 am

[quote="johnkol"]
bengtstefanp wrote:

Are you sure that the ECU is what you have in mind? Why would you have to push buttons or turn the key in order to change it?

I think he's referring to the XT as the key has a transponder for the immobiliser. A new ECU will need to be matched to the existing keys in order for the bike to start, which involves pressing buttons in a specific pattern. At the time when i had the problem it wasnt a known failure, and i'm sure it still isnt I was just unfortunate to experience it but luckily a new ECU was cheap back then.

Back to top Go down
bengtstefanp

bengtstefanp

PostSubject: Re: What to bring on the trip?   What to bring on the trip? EmptySat Feb 06, 2021 6:07 am

beer goggle wrote:
johnkol wrote:
bengtstefanp wrote:

I think he's referring to the XT as the key has a transponder for the immobiliser. A new ECU will need to be matched to the existing keys in order for the bike to start, which involves pressing buttons in a specific pattern. At the time when i had the problem it wasnt a known failure, and i'm sure it still isnt I was just unfortunate to experience it but luckily a new ECU was cheap back then.

Yes its on the XT I mean have the ECU trick to get I running with the starter key.. I have not hear that it should be a big problem with the ECU it just that I don't want to get stuck somewhere whit out the parts to get me out of there.
I am the kind of guy that have belt and and braces wink
I heard many times that Yamaha is bomb prof and I think that I just want some stuff wink

How is the situation are your places now with the corona thing?
For us in Sweden we could ride as we liked in 2020, same in your places or is it
more controlled?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to bring on the trip?   What to bring on the trip? Empty

Back to top Go down

What to bring on the trip?
Page 1 of 1