Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Windshields?

Go down 
+27
Machtig
texascycle
thumper_tx
King Wolf
Herkypilot
Jaynen
lancek
sswrx
john92
bcpaul
bash3r
mlacey56
zrider
wilburj
greer
skipm
malibu_dan
Akoffroader
sendkcone
WeaveR
flatblack80
BPG
inspector
Goggles Pisano
Nice Rumble
SheWolf
lotsofwheels
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
wilburj

wilburj

Windshields? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 9:46 am

I guess I do not understand why we would put a screen on a dirt bike. With several street bikes in my garage I understand windshields. I do know with smallish shields there can be and usually is a lot of buffeting especially around the helmet. In my opinion I would much rather have the full blast of clean air instead of the buffeting. Anyone having done the windshield thing are you experiencing any buffeting? Curious thing this desire for windshield and luggage on a dirt bike. I mean it is not like our bike is a BMW GS or anything like that. wilburj
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 6:24 pm

I plan to ride mine everywhere. I rode it to Florida last month. The little windshield and Dirt Bagz were mighty handy.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
BPG

BPG

PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 6:38 pm

I have a small screen and (sometimes) luggage on mine because I sometimes treat it as a pure dirtbike, and as a dual sport, as a commuter, as a sportbike on a tightly twisted road, etc. That's the beauty of the WRR.

PS - posted up in your intro thread - I grew up in Lucinda, PA, right "beside" ya!

Cheers,

- Brendan
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 7:34 pm

greer wrote:
I plan to ride mine everywhere. I rode it to Florida last month. The little windshield and Dirt Bagz were mighty handy.

Sarah

Why does anyone ride to Florida? We in Florida ride everywhere else for the good roads. We make due with what we have here.
Back to top Go down
BPG

BPG

PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 9:36 pm

toneout wrote:

Why does anyone ride to Florida? We in Florida ride everywhere else for the good roads. We make due with what we have here.

I've only ridden to FL a few times, when the weather was too cold to ride anywhere else in the country! Windshields? - Page 2 93746

But yeah, definitely much better riding in pretty much any other state.
Back to top Go down
Akoffroader

PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 11:51 pm

Here's a wind screen I built out of a V Strom windshield.

Windshields? - Page 2 IMG_4296

Windshields? - Page 2 IMG_42911024x768

Welded on a GPS mount while I was at it....

Windshields? - Page 2 IMG_42931024x768

AK Greg
Back to top Go down
zrider

zrider

PostSubject: Where From?   Windshields? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 1:19 am

Akoffroader wrote:

Windshields? - Page 2 IMG_42911024x768

Welded on a GPS mount while I was at it....

Windshields? - Page 2 IMG_42931024x768

AK Greg

Do you have a link as to where to get one of these? It looks great and functional. Just needs a yami sticker....
Back to top Go down
Akoffroader

PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 2:04 am

These were a pain in the rear to make. Many hours of bending, twisting, tac welding etc., etc. Not something I'd want to do again.....

Windshields? - Page 2 IMG_42801024x768

AK
Back to top Go down
mlacey56

PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 8:20 am

greer wrote:

Sarah

hell yeah
Back to top Go down
mlacey56

PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 8:23 am

Akoffroader wrote:
These were a pain in the rear to make. Many hours of bending, twisting, tac welding etc., etc. Not something I'd want to do again.....

Windshields? - Page 2 IMG_42801024x768

AK

that sucks. you did a great job. too bad i can't buy these
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 1:30 pm

AK,

That is a good looking outfit. Are those modified Turbo City brackets?

Sarah

http://www.turbocity.com/product_info.php?cPath=69_101&products_id=756

Windshields? - Page 2 WR250R%20web%20w2
Back to top Go down
bash3r

bash3r

PostSubject: Great Mod!   Windshields? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 5:19 pm

Here's how mine turned out...

Windshields? - Page 2 4198426898_69c3f5395f_b

What I cut off of each side...
Windshields? - Page 2 4197673891_ec380c88a7_b
Back to top Go down
bcpaul

PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 4:56 pm

Check out the biggest windscreen on a WR250

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-mHdr-YFjQ
Back to top Go down
john92

PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 6:04 pm

bcpaul wrote:
Check out the biggest windscreen on a WR250

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-mHdr-YFjQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-mHdr-YFjQ[/quote[/url]]

That's funny. If that bike had a brain, it would be as embarrassed as a dog with a halloween outfit on. I guess if the owner likes it that's all that matters.
Back to top Go down
BPG

BPG

PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 8:39 pm

bash3r wrote:
Here's how mine turned out...

Windshields? - Page 2 4198426898_69c3f5395f_b

Looks good! Let us know how it works for ya.

Don't forget to wrap the brake line in electrical tape. Mine still hasn't rubbed through the e-tape yet, but I'd rather it do that than through the brake line itself!
Back to top Go down
Akoffroader

PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 24, 2009 3:21 am

greer wrote:
AK,

That is a good looking outfit. Are those modified Turbo City brackets?

Sarah

http://www.turbocity.com/product_info.php?cPath=69_101&products_id=756

Windshields? - Page 2 WR250R%20web%20w2

Windshields? - Page 2 IMG_42821024x768

Hi Sarah

Yes, they started off as a set of left over XR650L brackets from a Turbo City windshield I had from a previous bike.

I cut off all the mounting tabs, then started bending, cutting and welding. The trick is to get the windshield set at the right angle (59 degrees in this case) and at the right distance from the headlight/number plate setup. The next trick is the mounted height of the windshield itself.

Getting the brackets to match required leveling the bike. Then leveling then handlebars. Then picking a common point on the known good bracket to level / measure from to make the second bracket. If they don't match exactly, the angle will be off and the windshield will sit crooked.

I'm a perfectionest, so it took two weeks to make everything fit just right before the final weld up and paint.

I also have a full Turbo City windshield setup for my WR250R and the final product (modified XRL brackets) ended up quite different in shape then the stock WRR brackets TCI provides. They would be a good starting point, but would still require a lot of messing around to get them to work right with a V Strom wind screen.

Take care,

Greg
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 2:52 am

Akoffroader wrote:

That's a really cool setup! The screen is just the right size to protect you but not look too big for the bike. I may have to get a used V-Strom windscreen & mount it like yours! The aftermarket really needs to get with it & make us some nice screens that blend with the WR's profile. Great job!

AK Greg
Back to top Go down
lancek

PostSubject: Thats not at windshield - this is a windshield!!!!   Windshields? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 27, 2009 6:42 am

Only trouble is you need another cylinder on your bike just to drive it through the wind!!!

Back to top Go down
Jaynen

PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 12:11 am

My MRA windscreen has been great for over 8000 miles now. I would be curious to try a bike with a laminar lip since that could stay on the bike for more technical stuff.
Back to top Go down
Herkypilot

Herkypilot

PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 8:23 pm

lancek wrote:
Only trouble is you need another cylinder on your bike just to drive it through the wind!!!

Ok, that's the worst windscreen I've ever seen on a motorcycle! Windshields? - Page 2 851577 I hope it was a temporary setup! Windshields? - Page 2 640571
Back to top Go down
King Wolf

King Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 1:49 am

greer wrote:
Just wanted to post up a "Thank You" to BPG for the Harbor Freight windshield. Had mine for about 1500 miles now, can't believe how well it works. Thanks again!!

Sarah

I just bought the harbor right face shield...and am about to do the same thing with it. The only thing now is i need to buy some Velcro. Where did you guys get it at?
I am going to head to wally world tomorrow and see if i can find anything.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 9:15 am

Yep, Walmart.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
bash3r

bash3r

PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 12:21 pm

King Wolf wrote:
greer wrote:
Just wanted to post up a "Thank You" to BPG for the Harbor Freight windshield. Had mine for about 1500 miles now, can't believe how well it works. Thanks again!!

Sarah

I just bought the harbor right face shield...and am about to do the same thing with it. The only thing now is i need to buy some Velcro. Where did you guys get it at?
I am going to head to wally world tomorrow and see if i can find anything.

I got mine at Lowes, it was way back with the shelving organizer stuff.. totally weird place for it!
Back to top Go down
King Wolf

King Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 2:27 am

Well i picked up some velcro at wally world...and the had white so i decided to make it good old yamy colors...haha take a look.

Windshields? - Page 2 Img_0010

I even used a blue sharpie on the sides...as you can see in the pic(theres the sharpie i used laying on the right.)

Windshields? - Page 2 Img_0011

And heres both pieces before i put them back on my WR...the face shield still has the plastic peel on one side thats why it looks blueish...

So what do you guys think??? i spent like 2-3 hours cutting cutting and more cutting/measuring to get thoughs dang valcro strips just how i wanted them.(and since i bought 5 feet of valcro i had plent to work with)
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 7:33 am

Looks Good!!

Sarah
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Windshields?   Windshields? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Windshields?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Technical :: Sweet Mods & Bike Accessories-
Jump to: