Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Water Pump Bearing size?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Fredo

Water Pump Bearing size? Empty
PostSubject: Water Pump Bearing size?   Water Pump Bearing size? EmptySun Jun 13, 2021 3:24 am

I have found some oil in my coolant on my 2008 WR250X so I'm planning on first replacing the seal on the water pump shaft and while I'm in there would also replace the water pump bearing.

Does anyone know the bearing code/size for that bearing?

(I'm talking about Part-No: 93306-90001-00, I have found a website claiming it's 22mm x 10mm x 6mm but I don't trust that website completely.)
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Water Pump Bearing size?   Water Pump Bearing size? EmptySun Jun 13, 2021 11:15 pm

I don't know what the bearing size is, but is there a reason you're not buying the OEM bearing?
Back to top Go down
Fredo

PostSubject: Re: Water Pump Bearing size?   Water Pump Bearing size? EmptyTue Jun 15, 2021 11:30 am

johnkol wrote:
I don't know what the bearing size is, but is there a reason you're not buying the OEM bearing?

High quality SKF bearings are 10 bucks at most and the OEM bearing is like 45 bucks where I live, so I'd like to avoid paying the Yamaha tax if I can avoid it. Also it should be a standard bearing size and I'm quite surprised I can't easily find that information on the web.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Water Pump Bearing size?   Water Pump Bearing size? EmptyFri Jun 18, 2021 3:46 pm

If you are simply looking for a cheap replacement, then by all means go for the SKF. But your assumption that the SKF is better than the OEM is wrong: the OEM is about three tiers higher in quality than the SKF.
Back to top Go down
Fredo

PostSubject: Re: Water Pump Bearing size?   Water Pump Bearing size? EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 4:05 pm

johnkol wrote:
If you are simply looking for a cheap replacement, then by all means go for the SKF. But your assumption that the SKF is better than the OEM is wrong: the OEM is about three tiers higher in quality than the SKF.

What would lead you to that conclusion? I have never heard SKF bearings being called "cheap" (as far as I know most KTM bearings are SKF, so I doubt they would put absolut crap in their bikes). And even if I get NSK bearings they are still less than half of what an OEM bearing would cost.

But in the end I'm just looking for the bearing size since I'd love to have the bearing before I take my bike apart.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Water Pump Bearing size?   Water Pump Bearing size? EmptyMon Jun 21, 2021 6:23 pm

Fredo wrote:
What would lead you to that conclusion? I have never heard SKF bearings being called "cheap" (as far as I know most KTM bearings are SKF, so I doubt they would put absolut crap in their bikes). And even if I get NSK bearings they are still less than half of what an OEM bearing would cost.

It's how manufacturing quality works: manufactured goods are graded for quality and placed in separate bins/tiers. Top tier goes to the big OEMs (like Yamaha), second tier goes to lesser OEMs (e.g. Bajaj), etc. The tier that goes to consumers is the lowest in quality, and the one no OEM wants, that's why most of the time they are sold at a loss.

The $10 SKF bearing you buy from retail outlets costs about $12 to manufacture, but the top quality tier of that bearing is sold to OEMs for about $17, and the OEMs will sell it to you for about $35; the gap between $10 and $35 reflects the difference in quality between the two otherwise identical bearings.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Water Pump Bearing size?   Water Pump Bearing size? Empty

Back to top Go down

Water Pump Bearing size?
Page 1 of 1