Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Wont Start

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Gerhard

Wont Start Empty
PostSubject: Wont Start   Wont Start EmptySun Aug 22, 2021 8:03 pm

Hi All,

I am new to the group, i know this is a common Q but still couldn`t fault find.

I have a 2016 WR250R, looks like a cold start problem but tried basiclly everything! It cranks fine but wont start, run start the bike let it idle for 5min then it starts fine afterwards. Not a battery problem (try jump starting already), tested the ignition coil, fall switch, fresh 98 high octane petrol, etc... Its got spark and fuel so..?
Could it be the fuel pump losing pressure but if so why does it run start then? When turning the key the fuel pump runs and stops at pressure, straight after switching off then on again the fuel pump runs and stops again? One would think it will still be up on pressure, i don`t know how to fault find or pressure test the pump if its working and to pay $350 for new pump only to test well...?

Please help, ive got no hair left to pull out!

Gerhard
Back to top Go down
johnkol

Wont Start Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wont Start   Wont Start EmptySun Aug 22, 2021 11:19 pm

If you're confident you have spark and fuel, the next thing to test is compression: get a cylinder compression kit and follow the directions that start on page 3-9 of the service manual.

Gerhard likes this post

Back to top Go down
Gerhard

Wont Start Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wont Start   Wont Start EmptySun Aug 22, 2021 11:28 pm

Thanks Mate! Was hoping it wouldn`t come to that but theres not much left to check. Cheers for that!
Back to top Go down
johnkol

Wont Start Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wont Start   Wont Start EmptyMon Aug 23, 2021 12:43 am

Measuring compression is not that difficult, the difficulty begins if the compression is low: as a first check you will have to measure valve clearance, which is not so easy on the WRR due to limited space and a complicated cam chain tensioner.

How may miles/km does the bike have?
Back to top Go down
Gerhard

Wont Start Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wont Start   Wont Start EmptyMon Aug 23, 2021 8:49 pm

18000km only mate.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

Wont Start Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wont Start   Wont Start EmptyTue Aug 24, 2021 1:33 am

That's not a lot of miles, I wouldn't expect the valves to be off so early in its life, but you never know until you check.
Back to top Go down
on2wheels52

Wont Start Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wont Start   Wont Start EmptyTue Aug 31, 2021 11:05 am

Tight valves was the issue on my no start when cold. I'm guessing the lash must open up a bit when the engine is warm (perhaps too much aluminum involved, cast iron stuff gets tighter). A multi-cylinder bike would have started when cold (assuming some cylinders had clearance) but likely would have kept running the thing until a vale burnt.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wont Start Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wont Start   Wont Start Empty

Back to top Go down

Wont Start
Page 1 of 1