Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Another bike wont start thread

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
chuckP

Another bike wont start thread Empty
PostSubject: Another bike wont start thread   Another bike wont start thread EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 2:01 am

'09 X, 10k miles

Fuel pump primes, starter cranks, just wont fire. I can smell unburnt fuel in the exh. Battery is good. Holds a 12.6v charge. Fuses are fine.

I'm thinking it's got to be the coil or plug? The spark plug is an iridium with only 5k miles on it. I'll check tomorrow.

Any other ideas or advice?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Another bike wont start thread   Another bike wont start thread EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 5:42 am

Spark plug sounds like a good place to check. Unfortunate that checking it is a royal pain in the rear-end.

Fuel - Spark - Air

You haven't messed with side stand safety switch have you?

Big plug between gas tank and radiator?

No error codes on dash?

No giant mouse nests in airbox? Airbox clear and clean?

Fresh, good quality premium gas?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
miniceptor86

PostSubject: Re: Another bike wont start thread   Another bike wont start thread EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 6:58 am

12.6v isn't impressive, 13.2 would be better. What does it drop to when cranking? Electronic ignitions seem to be very sensitive to battery condition. Since it cranks and you smell raw fuel my bet is on a worn out battery.
Back to top Go down
chuckP

PostSubject: Re: Another bike wont start thread   Another bike wont start thread EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 12:14 pm

Yeah, Replacing the spark plug was a PITA. How would you go about checking? Just pull the plug from the head and crank it while looking for a spark?

I havn't messed with anything recently.

No error codes. Fresh gas. I had yet to have a single problem with the bike.

I thought 12.6v was good enough, but I may as well try jumping it from a car battery (car not running) before I pull the spark plug. I'll report back as to what the voltage drop is during cranking.

If it was a sidestand or another switch that has failed, would the starter even crank?

Thanks for the guidance guys.
Back to top Go down
timmyooo

timmyooo

PostSubject: Re: Another bike wont start thread   Another bike wont start thread EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 5:52 pm

after riding for about a hour today i took a break and turned the bike off for about 10 minutes, and i had the same problem. Waited another 5 min and still nothing. I was able to push start it, but i'm also wondering why this happened. Later when i got home i turned the bike off, fired it right back??? Anyone???
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Another bike wont start thread   Another bike wont start thread EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 6:13 pm

timmyooo wrote:
after riding for about a hour today i took a break and turned the bike off for about 10 minutes, and i had the same problem. Waited another 5 min and still nothing. I was able to push start it, but i'm also wondering why this happened. Later when i got home i turned the bike off, fired it right back??? Anyone???

What year is your bike? 2008 ?

This sounds suspiciously like a fuel pump issue.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
chuckP

PostSubject: Re: Another bike wont start thread   Another bike wont start thread EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 12:41 pm

It was just the battery GAHHHH

I guess if voltage drops below 12.6v it's no good.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Another bike wont start thread   Another bike wont start thread EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 4:00 pm

chuckP wrote:
It was just the battery GAHHHH

I guess if voltage drops below 12.6v it's no good.

It's amazing how often that's the case. Even when people swear it isn't the battery...it often is.

The good news is you're "fix'd".

cheers

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
miniceptor86

PostSubject: Re: Another bike wont start thread   Another bike wont start thread EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 4:19 pm

Bad batteries can do weird things. Experiences have taught me that electronic ignitions just don't function with low battery voltage.

Glad you have it sorted.
Back to top Go down
chuckP

PostSubject: Re: Another bike wont start thread   Another bike wont start thread EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 9:31 pm

Over the past couple of months my HID has been turning off progressively sooner into my rides. I thought it was a faulty ballast, but i'm willing to bet it was just my battery unable to keep up with the voltage requirement of the HID.

What batteries did you all replace your OEM unit with? Do I dare gamble on this sucker?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-YTZ7S-Scooter-Battery-Honda-Ruckus-Elite-Metropolitan-Yamaha-Vino-Zuma-E-TON-/171021626230?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d1aeeb76&vxp=mtr
Back to top Go down
miniceptor86

PostSubject: Re: Another bike wont start thread   Another bike wont start thread EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 8:26 am

Hi,

I replaced my battery with a shorai from motomummy almost two years ago. No problems with installation or performance.
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: Another bike wont start thread   Another bike wont start thread EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 12:21 pm

One year with an AntiGravity........no problems thus far.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another bike wont start thread   Another bike wont start thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Another bike wont start thread
Page 1 of 1