Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Lithium Battery

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bucktuckerman

bucktuckerman

Lithium Battery Empty
PostSubject: Lithium Battery   Lithium Battery EmptyTue Dec 28, 2021 2:54 pm

Has anyone installed a lithium battery on wr250r? The weight savings are attractive, but not sure if its a good idea.

any comments/suggestions would be appreciated

buck

Back to top Go down
PaulRK

Lithium Battery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lithium Battery   Lithium Battery EmptyTue Dec 28, 2021 5:51 pm

The lead acid battery on my WR died so I went for a lithium-iron battery by Shorai. This one is a LFX09L2-BS12. It's far lighter than the lead acid and smaller. It cost about $100 through my friendly m/c shop. Everything the battery promises I like...moving the weight downward on the bike, the many many additional charge/discharge cycles of the technology, etc. I was worried about over charging it or that the bike's charging system wasn't compatible with this technology so I installed an inexpensive volt meter and mounted it next to he console. It has big blue numbers (easy to see.) I figured I might be able to see an over charge before whatever that might cause to happen happens. It hasn't. The battery voltage as sat between 13.8 and 14.0 volts. I've had the battery now about a year. So far so good. It doesn't like low temps so just be aware that it's recommended the battery have a low drain on it for a shot time to warm it up before trying to start the bike on those really frigid mornings. For winter storage, I bring the battery in and charge it. Of course, I'm still learning about it. The battery offers a flat discharge curve meaning the voltage stays high until it's nearly discharged. I've never seen the headlight dim. A note: I've changed the lights on the bike to LEDs, headlight, too. Brighter light, far more efficient. Otherwise, no special treatment needed. I'd go for it.
Back to top Go down

Lithium Battery
Page 1 of 1