Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Should I try and repair myself?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
wasdon

Should I try and repair myself? Empty
PostSubject: Should I try and repair myself?   Should I try and repair myself? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2023 9:13 pm

Hello everyone, so I had a previous post about the pressure regulator going out on my bike and the advice was really helpful. I ended up replacing the regulator and fuel pump assembly with a quantum rebuild kit, as far as I know that all worked. I also replaced the spark plug but the bike still wouldn't start(got it to start maybe once or twice and it wouldn't run for longer than a minute or two). I took it to my local power sports place and had the mechanic look at it and it has low compression. They quoted me at anywhere from 1,500-3,000 which is a lot for me atm. I've seen posts where people did the repairs themselves but I'm not very mechanically inclined to be honest. Just wanted to ask for advice on if I should attempt the repair myself or just try and sell it as a mechanics special. Replies appreciated.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Should I try and repair myself?   Should I try and repair myself? EmptyTue Jan 24, 2023 4:54 pm

Can't really follow the progression of fixes: you say the fuel pump assembly replacement worked but the bike still wouldn't start? And the reason for not starting is now due to low compression? So you essentially had two concurrent problems, fuel pump and low compression, and once you solved the former, the latter remained? Or was there a small period of time after the fuel pump replacement when the bike worked fine, but then the low compression condition showed up?

Did the shop tell you how low the compression was? How many miles on the bike?

Low compression could be due to a simple thing like valves needing adjustment. How comfortable are you with taking the valve cover off and measuring valve clearances? And in case they need adjustment, could you take the cams off to install new shims?

Then again, if the only alternative to fixing it yourself is to sell it as a mechanics special, then what do you have to lose by attempting to fix it yourself? If you fail, the bike is still a mechanics special, so you're not really worse off.
Back to top Go down
wasdon

PostSubject: Re: Should I try and repair myself?   Should I try and repair myself? EmptyWed Jan 25, 2023 5:40 pm

Ya sorry about that I didn't really make it clear what happened very well, I'll try and do that better here.

-I'm out riding, stop at store, come back and start the bike up, I stall letting out the clutch, then the bike won't start, it's cranking but not actually starting.
-I then try the basic stuff, first I replace the spark plug, didn't work
-I then take off the gas tank and notice fuel leaking out the bottom, I look that up and people say it's the pressure regulator not working
-I replace the regulator but when I turn the key on I no longer hear the actual fuel pump engage(it makes a noise when you turn the key on)
-I then buy a full assembly rebuild kit from Quantum and replace the parts, when I turn the key on after the rebuild I can hear the pump engage + the fuel no longer leaks out the bottom.
-Bike still doesn't work and I take it to the Power sports dealership to have a mechanic look at it.
-My dumbass didn't take off the cap to the iridium spark plug which I didn't know it had and accidently drove the plug into the ignition coil damaging that
-They replace the coil and spark plug but the bike still wouldn't start
-They call me and tell me it has low compression(never mentioned how low though I never asked Shog)
-They say they would have to take the engine out and go through it to find the problem and it would cost anywhere from 1,500-3,500 in labor which I can't really afford atm.
-Oh and the bike has 13,000 miles on it

I've never done any mechanical work like valve adjustments or anything like that, just very basic stuff like oil changes, spark plugs(which I fucked up), and mods. I don't even know if I have the tools to measure the valves. But you make a really good point that I have nothing to really lose trying it myself. I was just afraid that I might dump more money into it with repairs that then makes it harder to sell as a mechanics special. That's why I wanted to ask for any advice. Thanks for the feedback.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Should I try and repair myself?   Should I try and repair myself? EmptyFri Jan 27, 2023 3:29 am

That's pretty low mileage for the WRR to have developed all these problems, so the low compression might be something as simple as the cam chain having jumped a cog.

You don't need any special tools to service the top end, but your reticence is understandable. It all depends on how much you can get for a mechanics' special WRR, given that a fully functional bike gets you at least $5k. I would suspect that anyone considering buying this bike would consider the engine a total loss and low-ball you to $2k, in which case you might as well try your luck in repairing it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I try and repair myself?   Should I try and repair myself? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should I try and repair myself?
Page 1 of 1