Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Favoured Tire For Dry Dirt/Gravel Roads???

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

Favoured Tire For Dry Dirt/Gravel Roads Empty
PostSubject: Favoured Tire For Dry Dirt/Gravel Roads???   Favoured Tire For Dry Dirt/Gravel Roads EmptySun May 14, 2023 11:03 am

I've been running stock sized Heidenau tires for about the last 8 to 10 years on my 2008 WR.  As I'm becoming more and more of a good weather gravel road tourist that rarely sees anything looking like mud or a gnarly single track, I'm taking a second look and wondering if there's possibly a more suitable tire than the Heidenau tires I've been running.  I'll probably be due for a new set of tires in a few months and I'm thinking about this as I get ready to purchase the replacements.  

If I've had an issue with the Heidenau tires, its that the grip of the front tire on those dirt/gravel forest service/mining exploration roads isn't as good as I think it could be.  They seem to have a bit of a tendency to wash out when there's a bit of loose dirt sitting on top of the hard pack.

I do end up doing a fair amount of riding on the slab back and forth to the dirt but I ride pretty tame on the slab as well.  I'll be sticking with running the stock tire sizes as well for assorted reasons.

Anybody else that does a lot of similar riding in those types of conditions?  Tires I've been considering as trial replacements are:
Shinko 244 Series Dual Sport Universal Tire
Kenda K270 Dual Sport
Mitas E-07 Tire
Pirelli MT90AT Enduro / Dual Sport Tire
Back to top Go down
Ernesto Unionista

PostSubject: Re: Favoured Tire For Dry Dirt/Gravel Roads???   Favoured Tire For Dry Dirt/Gravel Roads EmptyMon Jul 24, 2023 8:49 pm

Jager.... did you buy any new tires yet? I just saw this post now while looking for suspension settings. I'll be looking for new tires myself by the end of this riding season. I'm running the Trailwings right now (2nd. set, long story...).
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Favoured Tire For Dry Dirt/Gravel Roads???   Favoured Tire For Dry Dirt/Gravel Roads EmptyThu Jul 27, 2023 9:49 am

Ernesto Unionista wrote:
Jager.... did you buy any new tires yet? I just saw this post now while looking for suspension settings. I'll be looking for new tires myself by the end of this riding season. I'm running the Trailwings right now (2nd. set, long story...).

No, I haven't. I ran the Deathwings for years because everybody buying a WRR looked at them in horror and practically gave them away, brand new, for the cost of the shipping. I ride primarily dry conditions, no gnarly single track, no mud, etc, and they were a pretty good tire for that kind of riding. Once giveaways dried up and I had to start actually buying tires at something around retail prices, that's when I switched to the Heidenau tires.

Still not sure what I'll buy; my summer got suddenly crazy busy with travel that I've barely been on my bike.

Ernesto Unionista likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ernesto Unionista

PostSubject: Re: Favoured Tire For Dry Dirt/Gravel Roads???   Favoured Tire For Dry Dirt/Gravel Roads EmptySat Jul 29, 2023 9:45 pm

I ride pretty much as you do, with a lot of pavement riding to get to the scenic gravel roads. I have the same issue with sliding around on hard-pack. I'm thinking of trying out the Dunlop D605 tires. They look like a knobby-light with not much space between the knobs. Maybe they would be better on the hard-pack roads...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favoured Tire For Dry Dirt/Gravel Roads???   Favoured Tire For Dry Dirt/Gravel Roads Empty

Back to top Go down

Favoured Tire For Dry Dirt/Gravel Roads???
Page 1 of 1