Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Stock tires on gravel roads

Go down 
+5
Delta_T
motokid
KLRchickie
Chrispy1200
mix123
9 posters
AuthorMessage
mix123

Stock tires on gravel roads Empty
PostSubject: Stock tires on gravel roads   Stock tires on gravel roads EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 1:04 pm

How are the stock X tires on gravel roads? It snowed a bunch here this weekend so I cant just go out and give em a try. Will probably be posting non sense questions like this on here for the next 5 months haha. 'freaky'
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: Stock tires on gravel roads   Stock tires on gravel roads EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 1:32 pm

I though they were pretty good as long as it's dry and the gravel was small (pea size) and fairly well packed. Once it get's a bit wet or the gravel gets larger, watch out !
Back to top Go down
KLRchickie

PostSubject: Re: Stock tires on gravel roads   Stock tires on gravel roads EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 1:45 pm

I've ridden plenty of gravel on multiple bikes, and while I don't truly enjoy it on any bike with any choice of tire, I'll choose a street tire in the gravel over a knobby tire any day. Gravel just doesn't feel stable no matter what, but I do find that you bounce around all over the place much less with a smoother tire.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Stock tires on gravel roads   Stock tires on gravel roads EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 1:59 pm

I'd rather ride on gravel than in sand........

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

PostSubject: Re: Stock tires on gravel roads   Stock tires on gravel roads EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 6:34 pm

I hate driving on gravel roads, especially when they are just resurfaced. I have stock tires and I am slipping and sliding all over the place. Could be my lack of abilities, but it doesn't feel safe. I have tried different tire pressures and am running 20 psi now.
I am considering different ones once the Bridgestones are toast. Maybe Distanzias or Shinko's. Something with more profile. Not sure if that will help though.
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Stock tires on gravel roads   Stock tires on gravel roads EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 6:26 am

if you drop the air pressure a bit it helps.. just be careful in the corners. In time, you get used to the front wobbling around a bit.. nothing to worry about. The ride is smoothest if you can keep the mph above 40 or so.. the suspension does a better job of absorbing the bumps & it doesn't beat you up as much.
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: Stock tires on gravel roads   Stock tires on gravel roads EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 1:45 pm

I ride with th stock tires on gravel roads without problems. Just stand on the pegs and steer with your legs.

And like Rydnseek stated, deflate the tires a bit it helps. There will always be some wooble in loose gravel.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Stock tires on gravel roads   Stock tires on gravel roads EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 2:12 pm

If anything I thought the stock X tires were better than the stock trailwings on the R wheels off-road. Just mind the braking and you'll do fine, street tires dont stop well in snotty loose stuff lol.
Back to top Go down
little squirt

little squirt

PostSubject: Re: Stock tires on gravel roads   Stock tires on gravel roads EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 12:59 am

this was me and my brother on his 690 in sand, mud, dirt on Distanzia tires..... i'd say gravel would be fine, just a little slippery/loose feeling thats all.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stock tires on gravel roads   Stock tires on gravel roads Empty

Back to top Go down

Stock tires on gravel roads
Page 1 of 1