Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Looking for Pictures of Issues Caused by 14 Tooth Sprocket

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Klue

Looking for Pictures of Issues Caused by 14 Tooth Sprocket Empty
PostSubject: Looking for Pictures of Issues Caused by 14 Tooth Sprocket   Looking for Pictures of Issues Caused by 14 Tooth Sprocket EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 5:23 pm

I have read in various places online that a 14 tooth sprocket can cause damage to the engine case of the WR250R as the sprocket and chain wear which makes it to ride up higher on the teeth. Does anyone have any pictures showing damage from a 14 tooth sprocket?

I have also read that the stock front sprocket guard can be modified to accommodate a 14 tooth sprocket. Does anyone have pictures showing exactly what requires trimming?

Any help is much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Pictures of Issues Caused by 14 Tooth Sprocket   Looking for Pictures of Issues Caused by 14 Tooth Sprocket EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:40 am

There are no modifications needed to run a 14-tooth sprocket.

I have never heard of a 14-tooth sprocket causing damage, not to mention that the reason you mention makes no sense.

BenWRR likes this post

Back to top Go down
BenWRR

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Pictures of Issues Caused by 14 Tooth Sprocket   Looking for Pictures of Issues Caused by 14 Tooth Sprocket EmptyThu Mar 21, 2024 8:34 pm

I had just finished installing a 14/45 chain and sprocket combination.  

After three different tries, trying to get the OEM countershaft sprocket cover on, I was able to get it to fit perfectly during the fourth try. I had separated the inner guard and had kept on trying to get it to fit around the chain and sprocket when it had finally snapped into place and when I turned the wheel, the chain and sprocket went around without hitting the inner seal/guard at all. I had then put the outer cover on and had reinstalled the three bolts.

I like the cover as it has been keeping stuff from getting behind the sprocket and it also keeps whatever noise from the chain going around the sprocket, down. I had ridden the bike after rinsing it off the other day, with no helmet and when I moved my knee out I could hear the ticking or clacking sound from the front sprocket and chain though when I kept my knee where I normally ride, there was no sound. Still, between the protection to the engine, keeping dirt and mud out of the sprocket and the sound, I'm glad that the guard works with the 14T sprocket and the chain.  

I have also not ever heard of any damage occurring to any bike running a 14 tooth front sprocket.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Pictures of Issues Caused by 14 Tooth Sprocket   Looking for Pictures of Issues Caused by 14 Tooth Sprocket EmptyToday at 11:00 am

Klue wrote:
I have read in various places online that a 14 tooth sprocket can cause damage to the engine case of the WR250R as the sprocket and chain wear which makes it to ride up higher on the teeth.

Late with the reply, but WRR owners who were running 14 tooth sprockets probably started here when there were so few WRRs in circulation that this forum was where specific discussions of this bike started.

I have been running 14/49 since shortly after getting my 2008 WRR new from a dealership and my swingarm got slightly chain chain chewed. That was prior to Yamaha changing the chain tension adjustment procedures and measurements (a change they never bothered to share with the owners who had purchased the bikes new from their dealerships, BTW).

WHY it happened with some owners and not others, the owners here never came to a consensus on prior to Yamaha changing adjustment procedures. In my case, I had set the sag for my weight and checked chain tension regularly as part of chain lube and cleaning up after rides... but my swingarm slider wore through anyways. Changing to a 14 tooth sprocket changed that prior to the Yamaha changes to chain adjustment becoming known.

In all the years that this forum has been up and running, I don't recall anyone even once posting that a 14 tooth sprocket somehow or other caused damage to the engine case. I suppose it is possible; but if so, none of the regulars here who went to 14 tooth sprockets ever reported this as an issue.

As best I recall, most of us doing that were also buying one of the Sandman chain savers because we thought Yamaha's OEM guard didn't look all that strong. It seems Ivan is still making a few aftermarket parts for the WRR:

Sandman Products Case Saver Kits

Sandman Parts Order Page

Which leaves me wondering after all these years this forum has been in existence: "who are these people posting somewhere online that a 14 tooth sprocket damaged their engine case"? Kind of sounds like somebody's theory of what will happen - rather than what actually did happen.

LOTS of people here have run 14 tooth sprockets - and in the early days of this forum, some dedicated single track sidehill gougers were running 12 tooth sprockets.

FWIW, if your riding is more towards true 50/50 dual sport riding rather than primarily focused on single track when off the slab, 14/49 seems to be the sweet spot that makes the bike ratios most useful. Stock sprockets leave 6th gear pretty much useless for anything other than maximizing full mileage when riding on the slab where most of the road is flat - you won't be using 6th if there is any kind of an uphill climb involved and 1st is often too high.

johnkol likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Pictures of Issues Caused by 14 Tooth Sprocket   Looking for Pictures of Issues Caused by 14 Tooth Sprocket Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking for Pictures of Issues Caused by 14 Tooth Sprocket
Page 1 of 1