Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Let the mods begin

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ed29

ed29

Let the mods begin Empty
PostSubject: Let the mods begin   Let the mods begin EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 10:08 am

My 2008 RR came home with about 1900 miles of very light usage. I say light because the tires look like commuter tires, flat in the center with injection nubbies still present on the second row of knobs. Careful checking revealed a total of two small scratches. Absolutely no modifications were done, even the flapper was in place and hooked up. I am working out the long term goal for modifications, what capabilities to add or enhance, and what trade-offs get conceded along the way there. A rack for the rear is the one big thing yet to be nailed. Why do I need a rack? Do I really need one? These questions keep bouncing around my brain. After all, the goal is not to try to make this match the cargo capacity of my KLR.

Enough words about the plan, this is a picture thread Ed!

This weekend I have a ride planned despite the sub freezing temperatures expected in the morning hours. The first addition to the bike was a power cord to run the jacket liner.

Let the mods begin DSC02983

That decal and the fuel warning below it have since been removed.

Next, I needed a way to run my GPS. The power cables for Garmin 2610 units are a pain. That series uses a flat 7 pin side slider that no other ones take. The cheap cords are $25.00, so I decided to just add an accessory outlet and use the cig lighter adapter for now. A new GPS is in the long term picture, when it gets here it will he hard wired.

Let the mods begin DSC02978

The outlet fits nicely on the right side of the headlight shroud.

Grip heaters were next and this was a good time to add grip puppies for my arthritic hands. I put the elements on top of the stock grips and the puppies over those. I find this greatly improves the heat retention since the element on the left is not right down on the metal bar.

Let the mods begin DSC02986

Figuring out where to put the switch was a puzzle. I ended up making a place by using some aluminum bar stock, rounding teh corners and attaching it via the rear bar clamp bolts. It is painted black to cut glare.

Let the mods begin DSC02982

There is room for more switches or a volt meter when I decide to add those.

I like to be prepared in case of a puncture, so tubes and tire irons went in a fender bag. The downside of that is that when mounted in the traditional location the bag blocks a lot of the headlight. For now My solution is to mount that bag out back. A bicycle pump is on the sub frame below.

Let the mods begin DSC02984

One last touch and it is ready to go.

Let the mods begin DSC02985

Ed
Back to top Go down

Let the mods begin
Page 1 of 1