Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

More Desert Dash Scouting

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

More Desert Dash Scouting Empty
PostSubject: More Desert Dash Scouting   More Desert Dash Scouting EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 3:07 pm

My friend Hobiee and I went out and did a little recon on two local trails in preparation for the San Diego Adventure Riders (SDAR) annual "Desert Dash" ride next weekend......I don't know how you guys do it in the cold.......more power to ya......it was probably high 60's/low 70's out in the local desert today.....purrrrrrfect......

We headed up to Mason TT (the turn-off for Rodriguez TT) and proceeded on our way……as expected the lower creek bed was a bit sloppy in places but nothing too bad……I set a waypoint where it appears straight ahead might be the best line…..it isn’t…….the waypoint is entitled “Stay Right”……why?.......because if you go straight you’ll wind up where Hobiee is pictured below:

More Desert Dash Scouting Picture073

The climb through the rocks was uneventful……same ole/same ole
More Desert Dash Scouting Picture062

Then up to the lookout before the final push up and over the top……
More Desert Dash Scouting Picture063

More Desert Dash Scouting Picture064

Once we started down the other side I started wondering what the little water crossing/mud bog would look like……someone else found it first... More Desert Dash Scouting Eek7 .......and yes Bash, it was so nice/warm out today the guy had no shirt on....More Desert Dash Scouting Lol8
More Desert Dash Scouting Picture065

More Desert Dash Scouting Picture066

I set a waypoint and we tried to help this guy for a while but it was futile……he said the mud didn't look too deep when he approached it........then his Suzuki Samari dropped down ~2' on the right side as he drove across......he was trying to leverage a tow strap off a flimsy post in the ground......no way Jose......seemed pretty clear he was going to need a jeep/truck to pull him out……we said our goodbyes and assured him we’d find someone to pull him out (we did)

Random shot heading across Rodriguez.....
More Desert Dash Scouting Picture067

Once we reached the far end of Rodriguez we hung a U-Turn and rode back up to Rodriguez Spur……..up and over we went….. forgot that Hobiee had never ridden this trail before and he was out front.......set a waypoint at the barbed wire latch gate he almost “Steve McQueen’d” (if you’re too young to know who Steve McQueen is and/or what that has to do with motorcycles and barbed wire.......watch a movie called “The Great Escape” ;) )……at one point we stopped and talked to a couple of guys in jeeps and sent them back to pull out the Suzuki Samari......glad we ran into the jeeps or that kid would still be out there.....

A few pics along Rodriguez Spur…..

More Desert Dash Scouting Picture068

More Desert Dash Scouting Picture069

More Desert Dash Scouting Picture070

More Desert Dash Scouting Picture071

More Desert Dash Scouting Picture072

Once back to S2 we rode over to Blair Valley and screwed around a bit……first we stopped off at the Box Canyon Monument……I’ve ridden by it numerous times but never stopped to read it……pretty interesting........first road into So CA......

More Desert Dash Scouting Picture074

Lot’s of greenery in Blair Valley given all the rain

More Desert Dash Scouting Picture078

Over to the bulletin board/signage

More Desert Dash Scouting Picture076

More Desert Dash Scouting Picture075

Rode all over Blair Valley and Little Blair Valley...……didn’t feel like hiking the last mile to the Pictographs….

A few pics in the area……

More Desert Dash Scouting Picture079

More Desert Dash Scouting Picture080

More Desert Dash Scouting Picture081

More Desert Dash Scouting Picture082

Should be a great event next weekend.....expecting ~150 riders.....More Desert Dash Scouting Icon10
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: More Desert Dash Scouting   More Desert Dash Scouting EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 3:09 pm

What tire are you running up front, and how do you like it?

Crawdaddy

PostSubject: Re: More Desert Dash Scouting   More Desert Dash Scouting EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 4:33 pm

SheWolf wrote:
What tire are you running up front, and how do you like it?

It's a Pirelli Scorpion and it's cooked......aggressive tire for a DOT tire but the sharp lava rocks out by Primm, NV. a few weeks ago tore it up.......they're pretty thin.....

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/5168/ITEM/Pirelli-Scorpion-Pro-All-Terrain-Enduro-Front-Tire.aspx

Replacing it with a IRC Vulcanduro .....non DOT.......I don't care.....just thought I'd try something different (again)

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/392/14980/ITEM/IRC-Volcanduro-VE-35-Intermediate-Front-Tire.aspx
Back to top Go down
Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

PostSubject: Re: More Desert Dash Scouting   More Desert Dash Scouting EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 4:40 pm

Yesterday's SPOT report (it'll stay up one week)

http://www.CrawdadRacing.info
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More Desert Dash Scouting   More Desert Dash Scouting Empty

Back to top Go down

More Desert Dash Scouting
Page 1 of 1