Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Tires, tubes, and sizing

Go down 
+4
WRoldman
greer
skierd
hcmallard
8 posters
AuthorMessage
hcmallard

Tires, tubes, and sizing Empty
PostSubject: Tires, tubes, and sizing   Tires, tubes, and sizing EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 1:12 am

I'm about to order a set of Dunlop 606s for my 250R and had a few questions for folks here.

1. What size will work on the R? I'm thinking 120/90-18 on the rear and 90/90-21 up front should be fine, but not sure. What are others running?

2. Tube sizing - it seems the tube sizes never match the tire size. My understanding is that as long as my tube is within 10-15mm of the tire width, I should be fine. If anyone is running 606s of the size mentioned above, can you let me know what size tubes you are running?

3. Tube thickness - heavy duty vs. ultra heavy duty. Is ultra HD worth the extra cost, weight, and likely hassle during install? Also, anyone have brand they prefer in terms of tubes?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Tires, tubes, and sizing   Tires, tubes, and sizing EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 2:03 am

Those are the correct sizes.

I just kept using the stock tubes, hate throwing good parts away, haven't had a flat yet. *knock on wood*

Most people who like HD tubes get the thickest they can find, I've heard good things about the UHD Bridgestones and Moose tubes. The Nuetech Tubliss system is an option too.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Tires, tubes, and sizing   Tires, tubes, and sizing EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 6:12 am

Here's a tire size chart that might be helpful. I think we overthink the tubes; just get the right diameter and don't sweat it from there.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-tires/tire-data.htm

Sarah
Back to top Go down
WRoldman

WRoldman

PostSubject: Re: Tires, tubes, and sizing   Tires, tubes, and sizing EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 11:00 am

To Heavy Duty or not (like everything else) depends on how hard you and/or your environment is on stuff. I am a big fan of HD natural rubber tubes. The install requires a little more patience, but that's what the baby powder is for. +1 for Moose.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Tires, tubes, and sizing   Tires, tubes, and sizing EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 11:51 am

Don't forget to put in a rim lock !
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Tires, tubes, and sizing   Tires, tubes, and sizing EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 11:54 am

Bah, you don't need them unless you intend on running them down below 10 psi. I had 606's on the last round and ran them as low as 12 and they were completely fine without rimlocks. Tires, tubes, and sizing 61865

PostSubject: Re: Tires, tubes, and sizing   Tires, tubes, and sizing EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 1:17 pm

Thanks all for info and the tire chart. I'm not sure why, but I am hung up on tube sizing. I guess it just bugs me not knowing how to map a tube correctly to a tire when I totally get tire sizing. I'd re-use the existing tubes, but since it's such a hassle to change a tire, it's worth the extra few dollars to just go new when changing tires IMHO. I can save the old ones for emergencies. So, given the tire sizes mentioned, would the following work?

Rear tire size: 120/90-18 == tube size of 110/100-18
Front tire size: 90/90-21 == tube size of 80/100-21

As for riding style - 90% off-road (everything from single-track, desert, rocky, mountainous), 10% road.

While I've yet to have a problem not running rimlocks, I've been running pretty high pressure to avoid issues. I plan on installing 1 upfront and 2 on the rear so I can get my pressure down to about 11-12 psi and not worry. I'm planning to go with these from Motion Pro unless others have a better recommendation.

As for the Tubliss system, I think it's really cool, but after reading about it for a year, I'm still not convinced. It offers the advantage of less weight and the option of really low pressures, but it seems like some people have had issues with the tires not holding air - even overnight. I'm gonna hold-off on Tubliss for awhile. Plus, it's an additional $100/wheel.
Back to top Go down
WRoldman

WRoldman

PostSubject: Re: Tires, tubes, and sizing   Tires, tubes, and sizing EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 11:31 am

IMO don't complicate things with 2 rim locks on the rear when 1 will do. The bike doesn't have a big power hit like 500 2-stroke.
Back to top Go down
hcmallard

PostSubject: Re: Tires, tubes, and sizing   Tires, tubes, and sizing EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 5:04 pm

Fair point with regard to the power vs. a 500cc 2-smoker. That said, wouldn't 2 rim locks balance out better than one? Although, it won't be perfect without a true wheel-balance effort in any situation.
Back to top Go down
WRoldman

WRoldman

PostSubject: Re: Tires, tubes, and sizing   Tires, tubes, and sizing EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 11:16 am

I'd say it boils down to what you want. More street able or more dirt able? Terrain factors into it, too. Ruff terrain, hard riding, & pressure south of 12 often leads to pinched tubes. It's finding the happy compromise that works for YOU. At any rate, trying to achieve balance via rim lock will lead to Tires, tubes, and sizing 9356 .
Back to top Go down
yaw

PostSubject: hwy riding and ultra HD tubes   Tires, tubes, and sizing EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 12:50 am

I'm understanding that the ultra HD tubes might not be so great for on the hwy. More rotating mass? If you are putting in hwy miles before hitting the trails would it be better to go with the medium HD tubes? Or am I just off my rocker? Thanks for any input.
Back to top Go down
yaw

PostSubject: more info   Tires, tubes, and sizing EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 1:08 am

I did a little checking over at ADV. Here are a bunch of people weighing in... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346381&page=3
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Tires, tubes, and sizing   Tires, tubes, and sizing EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 12:46 pm

I can tell ya what size rear not to order...120/100. I ordered the same size tires I used to for my DRZ, and did not realize the WRR ran a 120/80 rear tire. I have about 1-2 mm to the plastic mud guard thing. I am not too worried about it though...chain stretch will help as it wears.

I installed rim locks as well..I feel they are needed for anything below 15 PSI..which is right where I set mine for the soft sand. I also have heavy duty tubes...just to make sure I do not pinch them when mounting, which I have done with standard tubes in the past.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tires, tubes, and sizing   Tires, tubes, and sizing Empty

Back to top Go down

Tires, tubes, and sizing
Page 1 of 1