Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Any Former KLR650 Owners?

Go down 
+14
Biglake
RT3856
rider213
deerHater
olddog
malibu_dan
inspector
jason meacham
Jäger
derm75
SheWolf
Krabill
Dancamp
NDTransplant
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
NDTransplant

Any Former KLR650 Owners? Empty
PostSubject: Any Former KLR650 Owners?   Any Former KLR650 Owners? EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 9:15 am

Contemplating a decision between the WRR and the behometh KLR 650....wondering if there are any former KLR owners out there who now have the WR250R, and what they think.

Some say the two bikes are for two totally different types of riding, but I see more and more people (Mark Sampson of BigDog Adventures, for one) using the Yamaha in a somewhat similar fashion as he did his KLR (adventure touring).

I understand the huge technological advancements the WR has over the antiquated KLR, and weight, blah blah blah. Is there any area whatsover where the KLR outperforms the WR that you've noticed? Better wind protection, for example...

Having ridden neither, I'm just talking out my rear end, but it seems like the KLR 650 may provide more highway comfort in getting to off-road trails, and then that's where the WR250R takes over. Sound about right?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: Any Former KLR650 Owners?   Any Former KLR650 Owners? EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 10:03 am

I never owned a KLR 650 but I have my idea about it. When I decided to take the WR I knew the compromise was to have access to more trails and to have more fun riding them.

I presently own a Weestrom that I keep for long travels on paved or unpaved roads. I'm through wrestling the weight when I get in tight trails.

For long travels where I'll mostly ride in trails like we have in northern Quebec, the WR will be the fun choice.

For the cost of a GS or the like, I have 2 bikes that give me the opportunity to do all I like, without compromising to much.
Back to top Go down
Krabill

PostSubject: Re: Any Former KLR650 Owners?   Any Former KLR650 Owners? EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 10:17 am

I came off of a KLR to the WRR.

The only place the KLR is better is long distance highway cruising. Every place else, the WRR beats it hands down. Backroads, around town, and of course once the pavement goes away, it isn't even a contest any more.

And the only reason the KLR is better on the highway is because it has more power in reserve at 70 mph than the WRR does. The KLR would buffet my helmet something fierce at highway speeds, but the WRR is butter smooth and doesn't knock me around at all. It just runs out of oomph up above 70 or so.

I couldn't be happier.

The WRR's engine is much smoother and I find the seat more comfortable than the stock (pre '08) KLR seat.
Back to top Go down
NDTransplant

PostSubject: Re: Any Former KLR650 Owners?   Any Former KLR650 Owners? EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 10:59 am

That seems to be a lot of what I'm hearing/reading, too.

I guess my biggest hangup is getting past the 'bigger is better' way of thinking that has plagued a lot of motorcyclists for so long. You have a 750, you need a 1000. But a 1200 is even more impressive, preferably a 1400cc. lol Coming off of a 900 lb V-Twin, the KLR seems mighty light to me. I'm sure that opinion would change in the dirt!

I wouldn't want to knock the 'venerable' KLR, but when you watch YouTube videos, etc., of a KLR, and then watch some WR videos... wow, the KLR looks like a big walrus! Maybe that's OK in certain instances.

Tough to argue with a bike that has a REAL suspension, fuel injection, 100+ lbs lighter, etc., etc.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Any Former KLR650 Owners?   Any Former KLR650 Owners? EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 11:03 am

I came off a 600 and haven't looked back. Bigger isn't always better, IMO. You drop that KLR and you know it when you go to pick it up. That little WR is easy to just grab, whip it up, jump back on and ride without pulling a nut in the process. I do long commutes with my little R and it's nice to be able to be ripping along the highway, spot a trail heading off to who knows where and be able to take it because it's small enuf to maneuver in the tight spots...do that with a KLR and you'll be fighting your way thru the scrub. Any Former KLR650 Owners? 619190

PostSubject: Re: Any Former KLR650 Owners?   Any Former KLR650 Owners? EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 5:51 pm

Krabill wrote:
I came off of a KLR to the WRR.

The only place the KLR is better is long distance highway cruising. Every place else, the WRR beats it hands down. Backroads, around town, and of course once the pavement goes away, it isn't even a contest any more.

And the only reason the KLR is better on the highway is because it has more power in reserve at 70 mph than the WRR does. The KLR would buffet my helmet something fierce at highway speeds, but the WRR is butter smooth and doesn't knock me around at all. It just runs out of oomph up above 70 or so.

I couldn't be happier.

The WRR's engine is much smoother and I find the seat more comfortable than the stock (pre '08) KLR seat.

Agreed. I sold a KLR to get the WRR. My Dad and I did a 1000 mile ride around Colorado last summer, him on an '06 KLR and me on the WRR. We traded bikes a couple times and the only time I really wanted the KLR was during two 20 mile stretches of interstate where I could have used a bit more power.
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: Any Former KLR650 Owners?   Any Former KLR650 Owners? EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 8:04 pm

NDTransplant wrote:

I guess my biggest hangup is getting past the 'bigger is better' way of thinking that has plagued a lot of motorcyclists for so long. You have a 750, you need a 1000. But a 1200 is even more impressive, preferably a 1400cc. lol Coming off of a 900 lb V-Twin, the KLR seems mighty light to me. I'm sure that opinion would change in the dirt!

If you ride with people that have big bikes you will go where they can and you'll feel the WR isn't enough. If you ride with people with small displacement bikes, you won't be sorry to have your WR.

If you ride alone it's all up to you.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Any Former KLR650 Owners?   Any Former KLR650 Owners? EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 8:28 pm

SheWolf wrote:
That little WR is easy to just grab, whip it up, jump back on and ride without pulling a nut in the process.
I'm sure I'm going to be sorry I asked, but... what the hell would you know about that?????????
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: Any Former KLR650 Owners?   Any Former KLR650 Owners? EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 8:47 pm

I had a 84 klr 600 before my wrr. At first I was going to get a new klr 650, then talked myself into getting a drz400..when I went to the dealership to buy a drz they told me there wasn't was in stock and it might be a little while before they could get one for me..I ended up buying the wrr because I didn't want to wait. I walked out of the dealership thinking " I can't believe the salesman talked me into a $6000 250" I thought I might regret it but the more I ride my wrr the more I'm glad I got it. the klr might be better on the highway but that's about it..I do about 60-70% off road riding so this bike is perfect for me,, Any Former KLR650 Owners? 945348
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Any Former KLR650 Owners?   Any Former KLR650 Owners? EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 9:54 pm

Jäger wrote:
I'm sure I'm going to be sorry I asked, but... what the hell would you know about that?????????

Watched it happen more than enuf times. It was interesting watching this one big brute try to pick up his loaded 990 like it was nothing, only to be rendered into a crumpled whimpering heap with his bike on top of him. Any Former KLR650 Owners? 29721 I pulled a twat muscle once, and only ONCE. That was enuf to make me respect what some guys go thru when they tweak a gonad. Any Former KLR650 Owners? 640571

Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Any Former KLR650 Owners?   Any Former KLR650 Owners? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 3:04 am

SheWolf wrote:
I pulled a twat muscle once, and only ONCE.

See... I knew I was going to be sorry I asked... Things I just didn't need to know.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Any Former KLR650 Owners?   Any Former KLR650 Owners? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 10:51 am

Any Former KLR650 Owners? 93746 You asked, an you know I'm not shy. Any Former KLR650 Owners? 163123

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Any Former KLR650 Owners?   Any Former KLR650 Owners? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 11:02 am

Dancamp wrote:

If you ride with people that have big bikes you will go where they can and you'll feel the WR isn't enough. If you ride with people with small displacement bikes, you won't be sorry to have your WR.

If you ride alone it's all up to you.

+1

*It's funny. When riding with 2 KLR buddies, anytime I drop my bike, they rush over to help. Couldn't understand until they dropped theirs and I had to help them.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Any Former KLR650 Owners?   Any Former KLR650 Owners? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 11:11 am

That's why supertankers are best ridden on roads. Any Former KLR650 Owners? 810411

malibu_dan

PostSubject: Re: Any Former KLR650 Owners?   Any Former KLR650 Owners? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 2:28 pm

SheWolf wrote:
That's why supertankers are best ridden on roads. Any Former KLR650 Owners? 810411

SheWolf shy? Any Former KLR650 Owners? 851577

My R² will be a supah tanker soon... New Safari, and I can still strap on the 2 gal rotopax with the EB rackage. I figger I can head off cross country and not have to refuel until Albaquerque! All that and it still won't weigh more than my Aunt Bertha.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Any Former KLR650 Owners?   Any Former KLR650 Owners? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 11:28 pm

You'll be a much lighter and more nimble supah tanker, to boot! Any Former KLR650 Owners? 61865 Can't wait to see it when it's all done up Dan. Take lots of morph pics. Any Former KLR650 Owners? 93746

PostSubject: No KLR but former BMW GS owner   Any Former KLR650 Owners? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 10:38 am

It's a personal thing.
Do you want a machine to drive out of the garage to connect up your favorite paved roads with some gravel and unimproved roads? May want the KLR.

If finding where that gravel road leads to or maybe getting a bit crazy and flat tracking a corner on that road makes ya feel good, get the WRR.

Even if you add 50 LBS to the WRR it will be a better machine on the unimproved part of the ride. If you can get by with a "credit card, tooth brush, and change of undies" the WRR becomes an even better choice.

Also the 08 and 09 KLR with all that plastic? Not my idea of good looking.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Any Former KLR650 Owners?   Any Former KLR650 Owners? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 12:01 pm

Any Former KLR650 Owners? 851577 All it's missing are the tentacles.

PostSubject: Re: Any Former KLR650 Owners?   Any Former KLR650 Owners? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 1:40 pm

I bought my KLR 4 years ago for bumpy pavement and dirt/gravel road riding, and did quite a few 3-day 1600 kms weekends. But I found it heavy on non-paved roads, so I was riding at least 95% pavement. Admittedly I had 90/10 street/dirt tires on it. Any Former KLR650 Owners? 986936 Sold the KLR a couple of weeks ago.

Bought a WR250X this Friday, and had it out 4 times so far. I'm really liking it, and looking forward to the end of the break-in. But the handling is so quick, and the bikes feals so light, I'm now thinking about dirt/gravel roads again, and even real enduro riding! So there's very likely a set of Wheeling WRR wheels in my future. Best of two worlds.
Back to top Go down
rider213

rider213

PostSubject: Re: Any Former KLR650 Owners?   Any Former KLR650 Owners? EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 12:42 am

Really depends on your needs.

Have owned two KLR’s…still have one and it serves mostly as my streetbike now. This new one certainly has good wind protection for a DS bike. Currently looking for a WRR.

Pre 08 KLR’s crash much better offroad than the new ones. This is important if you plan on riding in those areas that folks say big bikes can’t go.

The KLR can go most anywhere even in stock trim. Have had mine thru stretches of knee deep sugar sand and water crossings up to the brake light in the same day.

That said, in any kind of deep sand/mud situation, on a KLR you’ll find yourself in more of an “ok…keep it up…lets not die here” kinda mode.

Where on a lighter (XT225/DRZ400/XR650) bike in the same areas, you’re looking forward to the next berm to bust, or the next whoop section to blast thru.

The KLR650 is a great do it all bike. But my grandma on a light weight DS bike will smoke the most skilled of KLR riders (with stock suspension) in the hairy whoop sections 7 out of 10 times.

And on the pulling a nut when having to pickup the KLR after a drop…the worst isn’t just having to pick up that 400lbs of dualsport goodness after a dump.

It’s picking up that 400lbs after wrestling it thru miles of sand then having to get your leg out from underneath it…Then trying to pick it up.

Feels like 860lbs at that point. J

That said, for the money, you can’t find a better DS bike for interstate travel....that can still traverse those “heart of darkness” scenarios that a KLR can.

But if interstate travel’s not the primary concern, have more fun…go without the weight. I’m gonna.
Back to top Go down
RT3856

RT3856

PostSubject: Re: Any Former KLR650 Owners?   Any Former KLR650 Owners? EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 12:56 am

I hadn't ridden bikes since I stopped raceing 23 years ago.Did the horseback thing and Quads but had to get another bike.
Well one of the guys I was working with at the time convinced me How great the KLR would be, dddog
Well maybe for him. I never rode the bike without dropping it.
The final straw was when I tried a little mud hole and ended up trapped under the bike. I work out five times a week and can do repd with 600lbs but I could not get this stupid bike off me.
eventually I dug then drug myself out from under that pig.
Got home cleaned it up and put it on craigs list.
Now I have my beloved WR.
There have been a couple times when the bike got tired and needed a rest.
but it only happens once in awhile, not every ride.
My Wr is comfortable on the road "I-5 at 70" great on the logging roads and is a blast on real trails.
So save money just get the Wr smile, ride, and enjoy. cheers thumb
Back to top Go down
rider213

rider213

PostSubject: Re: Any Former KLR650 Owners?   Any Former KLR650 Owners? EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 9:09 pm

RT3856 wrote:
I hadn't ridden bikes since I stopped raceing 23 years ago.Did the horseback thing and Quads but had to get another bike.
Well one of the guys I was working with at the time convinced me How great the KLR would be, dddog
Well maybe for him. I never rode the bike without dropping it.
The final straw was when I tried a little mud hole and ended up trapped under the bike. I work out five times a week and can do repd with 600lbs but I could not get this stupid bike off me.
eventually I dug then drug myself out from under that pig.
Got home cleaned it up and put it on craigs list.
Now I have my beloved WR.
There have been a couple times when the bike got tired and needed a rest.
but it only happens once in awhile, not every ride.
My Wr is comfortable on the road "I-5 at 70" great on the logging roads and is a blast on real trails.
So save money just get the Wr smile, ride, and enjoy. cheers thumb

Disclaimer: Huge KLR fan, owned a couple since 2000 and took them thru all those places where big DS bikes aren't supposed to go (many times two-up with the better other).

Will no doubt end up owning another at some time.

Thing about the KLR is that the weight of the bike wears on you big time in the technical offroad stuff (relative to lighter DS bikes).

After an hour or three of that technical (deep whooped out sand/mud/etc) stuff, it feels like a 900lb KLR you're trying to push off your trapped leg.

Do miss the torque of the KLR (mostly on the street)..but the WRR is far superior in the tech stuff, yet still Loads of fun getting there.

That said, if I could have just one bike to do everything (highways/ect)...and it had to be reasonably priced...it'd be the (pre-2008) KLR. cheers -Scott
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Any Former KLR650 Owners?   Any Former KLR650 Owners? EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 9:50 pm

I still ride my KLR a bit, its up for sale but hasnt sold yet, they're hard to sell used unless you give em away because they're dirt cheap new.

I bought a KLR because I thaught I would go on weekend camping trips and really long rides but I havent done that in the 6 years I've had it, it was nice for comuting tho, thats close to 200kms round trip for me.

I like the KLR alot better on the road, the extra weight keeps you from getting blown around in high winds or when passing trucks. Then theres the huge low end power difference, you dont need to down shift a 650 to pass or speed up.

The wind blast and seat are similar to me, my 07 klr was modded I tilted the windshield ahead so it was about straight up and cut down the seat, stock the wind blast tried to pull my helmet off all the time, modded the wind hit me in the face shield and didnt bug me at all.

The wrr is pretty smooth on the road, it doesnt vibrate much at all and the seat is comfy enough, it has no wind protection at all so it will tire you out holding on at high speeds but I dont do that much anyway I prefer slower back roads. Most of my trips are atleast 50% offroad and I have my fun offroad the road part is just to get me to the dirt parts so overall I like the wrr much better and wonder why I ever bought a 650 in the first place lol.

I've had some fun trips on the KLR but every one of them could've been done and would've been just as fun on a WRR.
I've also had the KLR stuck so bad on a muddy hill it took five guys to pull it out, I can ride the WRR right up that hill now, I still get teased a bit for trying that hill on a KLR lol.
Then theres offroad racing...I can do it with the WRR and wouldnt dream of trying it wth a KLR.
Back to top Go down
DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff

PostSubject: Re: Any Former KLR650 Owners?   Any Former KLR650 Owners? EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 7:34 am

I can't add too much to what's already been said about the KLR, but just another KLR and WR owner.

Since I got my WR 2 years ago, the KLR has received less and less attention. However, if anything, the WR has made life a little more confusing. Should I keep the WR and get a better street bike/commuter? Sell the WR and get a dedicated woods bike? Or keep both, slap street tires on the KLR and call it good.

Both bikes are good at their intention and sometimes they're even great, but both have me wanting more (with the KLR its "less" weight and more low end grunt would be great in the WR).

It's been said before, but a WR450R would solve everything for me. Then I could just own one bike.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Any Former KLR650 Owners?   Any Former KLR650 Owners? EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 12:13 pm

I've had 3 KLR 650s during the 90s.
One got wrecked by a friend. One was stolen and used in a bank robbery in Sacramento, and one I sold.
Great bikes, but just so clunky and heavy. If you're doing 99% street, then the KLR is the choice.
Any off roading besides dirt roads and it's a joke.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any Former KLR650 Owners?   Any Former KLR650 Owners? Empty

Back to top Go down

Any Former KLR650 Owners?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next