Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Is the WR the right bike?

Go down 
+2
WRoldman
10R
6 posters
AuthorMessage
10R

10R

Is the WR the right bike? Empty
PostSubject: Is the WR the right bike?   Is the WR the right bike? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 9:55 am

Howdy! Just joined to find out more about the WR. I started riding in 1972 on a Yamaha YC1....I think it went 50 mph downhill with a strong wind at my back. I have had several sportbikes which I ride at the track and on the backroads. I bought a KLR650 which I have toured with in the US and South America. The KLR650 community introduced me to dual sport rides and they were a blast. I want to do more off road....but the KLR is so heavy. I have been a Kawi man at heart but I can't bring myself to buy the KLX250S; and the KLX450R cannot be converted to a street-able version where I live. So... I have been thinking about the WR250R or a KTM EXC or Husky. Want to make sure I do my homework before I buy. Hope to learn a lot here!
Back to top Go down
WRoldman

WRoldman

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR the right bike?   Is the WR the right bike? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 11:08 am

Welcome. Seen ya on WSB. What put me on the WR was the streetbike maintenance intervals (like working on bikes, I just like riding them more) & the price (found it used last Summer for $4100 w/1k on the odo). Surprised by how much I like it. This bike has stolen a lot of seat time from the R1. No doubt the KTM & Husky are nice though.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR the right bike?   Is the WR the right bike? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 11:58 am

Hey there and welcome to the pack. Is the WR the right bike? 61865 You'll find mostly good things said about this bike in this place; everyone loves it! Is the WR the right bike? 619190 For some it's not the powerhouse they want, but for what its intended purpose is, you couldn't ask for a better bike. It gives you the best of both worlds, to be able to ride the pavement and keep up with the traffic and pass if you want to, and then to trip off onto unavenged trails and single track and have fun doing it. It's not an MX race bike by any means, but you can still ride the track and give people a run for their money. Of course, if it doesn't come up with your spec, you can mod the thing so it will do what you want... Is the WR the right bike? 810411

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR the right bike?   Is the WR the right bike? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 12:28 pm

The WR is a very impressive bike. ....and having owned/ridden/raced my last 250 over 17 years ago, and having had nothing but big-bores since, for me it's hard to go backwards in HP and torque. Note that our WR is the girl's DS - I have a Y2K 640 KTM LC4-E, so the WR is not my primary mount.

I did however get an opportunity to put it through it's paces out in the Mojave on a pretty rough, wide-open road shifting between 5th and 6th and literally launching it off 70 MPH crests, it never looked back. Wasn't even breathing hard, and neither was I. Enter long, sandy whoops and while the suspension was completely satisfactory, my 200 (plus) mindset was searching for (instant) acceleration ( again, what I'm use to )

We rarely get (read: "I rarely get the girl" ) into extremely radical spots, but I'd trade it hands-down for the (My) KTM in rough single track.

Like everything else related to dual-sports, (IMO) they all leave something to be desired - Which maybe true with all bikes in general. < Frankly I can't stand not having a kick-starter; Short drive I realize, but it drives me nuts ! >

Having said all that, it's something I'm just probably use to, and my riding style has adapted accordingly.

If you prefer a wrist full and you ride the EXC, you won't look twice at the WR. It (The KTM) is one fine machine. However, as noted, you'll spend more time and money on it.

Given saddle time I think even the harshest critic (i.e. myself) would be more than ecstatic with the WR.

Either way, forget the KLX (it hasn't a chance of comparison from all I've heard) and put the KLR up for sale now ! Quick !
Back to top Go down
10R

10R

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR the right bike?   Is the WR the right bike? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 6:28 pm

LOL Don't think I'll sell the KLR just yet. Sentimental value.... transporting it to Colombia and the three day ordeal it took me to ship it back from Peru makes it the most expensive $5K bike ever! Besides, it is a good "bad road" bike and it is set up with all the Farkles and fixes for "slow" touring....not to mention that 6 gallon gas tank.

As far as the torque/HP issue with the WR, I was thinking, while not overly endowed, the WR has enough to make things interesting and to scoot along quickly when the need arises. The WR is more expensive than the KLX250S but has about 25% more HP (more or less depending on the Dyno and specific bikes). It is less expensive than the grunt happy Husky and KTMs. It might just be the perfect balance of cost/performance for a dual sport. I think I need a test drive!
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR the right bike?   Is the WR the right bike? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 9:44 pm

Hello,I would have to say get the wrr but the Husky TE250 is hard to beat,good luck. Is the WR the right bike? 945348
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR the right bike?   Is the WR the right bike? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 10:06 pm

I'm very happy with and enjoying my WR-250R very much.
It has a gem of an engine that pulls well across a wide band with a high-reving top end.
I am still pleasantly surprised at the speed this bike can muster out on the road. :)

It's very off-road worthy, and will be about a million times easier to ride trails on compared to your KLR because it weights about a ton-and-a-half less with a much slimmer ergonomic shape to it, particularly the seat and fuel tank.
Doesn't require anything more than routine maintenance, too - very easy to live with.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR the right bike?   Is the WR the right bike? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is the WR the right bike?
Page 1 of 1