Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Need a new helmet

Go down 
+9
Matty
flatboarder
X-Racer
Skeandhu
Chief_Lee_Visceral
malibu_dan
Neonguy95
SheWolf
Six8
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Six8

Six8

Need a new helmet Empty
PostSubject: Need a new helmet   Need a new helmet EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 9:54 am

Seems my old ones are, well old.
Is there a too old helmet?
The youngest one is 11 years?
What do I look for in a basic DS helmet?
I'm thinking to get a basic one NOW!
Use it eventually like a spare.
Then get a TOP of the LINE full feaure one, once Ditybluez paid for.

Only had a 10 minute spin on her when we got home, Need a new helmet 525406 Need a new helmet 525406 Need a new helmet 525406 today after tracking (type II in an industial park) it' s off crusing eastern Ontario,
in the hunt for the "best" chipwagon and or sugar bush.

Shes a sweet ride, seems big blue is giving an extra year warenty on these for free Need a new helmet 619190
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Need a new helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a new helmet   Need a new helmet EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 11:24 am

Wow, haven't heard that one!! Need a new helmet 640571 An extra year's pretty good. I replaced my old lid when I got the bike; it was 10 years old. Just be warned when you buy a DS lid, the ones that look like an MX lid with the flip-down visor, you'll get a load of dust and floaties up in there that come in from underneath. If you want to keep the shit out of your eyes, you're better off with an MX lid and a good set of goggles. Need a new helmet 61865

Need a new helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a new helmet   Need a new helmet EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 12:17 pm

I personally use my street helmet. Full face Arai. I have a MX helmet but I cannot stand wearing goggles. When I got the DS i just decided to use the street lid. So far no real problems with it although I haven't been on any fine dirt. Dirt roads and trails have been perfect so far. My two cents anyway.

Rusty
Back to top Go down
Six8

Six8

Need a new helmet Empty
PostSubject: got a new helmet HJC CL-MAX White   Need a new helmet EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 2:55 pm

Need a new helmet 490865 So many choices;
I like Shewolf's idea and I tried the MX helmet (BELL) bit the googles did not crush into my face, there was a small gap... between my face and the googles.
Once the summer hits and the dust gets thick and if the guys with the GS's can get out in front I'll work on the googles more.
I looked at the nice full face ones and they were up to a $k! yikes Need a new helmet 640571 I
So we wound up with one that fits like a glove and will make a good GP (general pourpose) one for the next few months till Dirtybluez is paid for.
Need a new helmet 525406 we picked up a white HJC modular model CL-MAX, $225 CDN out the door. Need a new helmet 525406
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Need a new helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a new helmet   Need a new helmet EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 3:00 pm

Need a new helmet 61865 Nice find!

malibu_dan

Need a new helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a new helmet   Need a new helmet EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 11:08 am

Sorry, I'm too late. I will never purchase a flip-up helmet after reading the horror stories of failures (during sudden need) in the trenches.

I would suggest the Fulmer as a great DS entry helmet. You can flip up the visor and wear it with goggles if it gets dusty. Price point is definitely right. I know a few guys who ride with this lid and they're happy.

http://www.fulmerhelmets.com/product/afadv.html

Need a new helmet Adv_red-20d_large
Back to top Go down
Chief_Lee_Visceral

Need a new helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a new helmet   Need a new helmet EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 2:05 pm

I have a Shoei DS Hornet which is okay but like She Wolf for serious off road googles probably work best. Especially if you are huffing and puffing like I am apt to do Shog

Check out Vemar if you go with a street helmet. There are very nice and I guess they are getting out of the US market so there are some killer deals. I had to buy the one that had the Formula 1 certification which is the highest spec out there.
Back to top Go down
Skeandhu

Skeandhu

Need a new helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a new helmet   Need a new helmet EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 8:57 am

Maybe a bit on the pricey end, but I use an Arai XD3.

I use it on the street with the dark visor , but carry goggles if I think I'm going to be doing any off-roading (or playing after dark). Fortunately, the visor doesn't interfere with the goggles when the visor is in the up position.

Also, with resect to the age of the helmet, I think the general rule is to replace every 5yrs. Over five years, through regular use, the EPS liner will become depressed ( cry ) and its ability to protect your head from becoming mush reduces. Likewise, the safety standards and manufacturing methods are constantly improving. So, in theory, a newer helmet is inherently safer.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

Need a new helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a new helmet   Need a new helmet EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 3:07 am

Quote :
Also, with resect to the age of the helmet, I think the general rule is
to replace every 5yrs. Over five years, through regular use, the EPS
liner will become depressed ( cry ) and its ability to protect your head from
becoming mush reduces. Likewise, the safety standards and manufacturing
methods are constantly improving. So, in theory, a newer helmet is
inherently safer.

I would be more likely to fall for propaganda which suggested that I replace the MUSH in my head every five years before I spend the kind of money that I spend to keep my MUSH-headed brain safe ( sans an accident in it which degraded the protection).

I have a 20 year old Arai I'd trust with my life. It's a Jeff Stanton replica and in a case, but I'd swear by it to this day.

PS: Proud owner of two (2) new (His/Hers) XD-3s as of yesterday.

Old rider addage: Cheap head; Cheap helmet.

If I die in one at least there'll be no excuse as far as the cost of protection is concerned.
Back to top Go down

Need a new helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a new helmet   Need a new helmet EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 1:10 am

it's not propaganda, the foam liner breaks down with age, sweat, heat, humidity, etc. It's foam not single malt, it doesn't get better with age. I don't have a helmet that is more than 5 years old, and I wouldn't trust my head to be protected by a 10 year old helmet, no matter how much it costs. That's just my 2 cents, but then again I am a materials engineer.
Back to top Go down
Six8

Six8

Need a new helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a new helmet   Need a new helmet EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 7:15 am

Need a new helmet 490865 The liner was discintegrting (falling apart) in my old one
hence the need for a new one ASAP
this thread has been helpful for when I get an "expensive" one, once Dirtybluez been paid for Need a new helmet 93746
I'm going to need some Coms on it for sure

I've been reading all the oil change mataterial, did mine at 200km then 500km still looks like creamy mud and the filter is black.
I'll do another one at 600-800Km I've a case of oil and Yamaha will sell me an endless supply of filters...
Had a look at the oil pressure inspection bolt! I'd like to meet the guy that put it there.
and no I haven't opened it,
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

Need a new helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a new helmet   Need a new helmet EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 12:12 pm

twowheeled: How many and what type of used ones ya got laying around ? Maybe I'll take one ! Need a new helmet 810411 ....or do you throw them away so no one could donn a "bad" helmet. ?

There is this little thing called a safety margin, and if what you are saying IS true, then a SMF (safety margin factor) of ten (10x - for example), is reduced to zero (in other words it would not withstand an "acceptance level" product test (usually 6dB down in shock value) in five years whether you are wore the helmet at all. Show me the data. :) ...because if I'm past the "Acceptance" impact level test, I probably have bigger things to be concerned about.

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of a new helmet. I'm a helmet slut. ...and I agree, "Newer is better" and inherently safer. ....and "I" still equals MA .

My argument is that the chance that one fall and hit their head to cause a fatal injury is of much less chance than a life-impacting spinal column injury ( ...a testament to good helmets obviously). The number of riders that suffer fatal injuries are surprisingly NOT primarily from blunt head
trauma, but secondary to the fall (for example: impact with another object).

...and on that pretense, the 5-year degradation they predict is not a qualifier to replace a perfectly good, properly fitting and comfortable helmet.

Get back to me on all those old spares you got. Need a new helmet 61865
Back to top Go down
Six8

Six8

Need a new helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a new helmet   Need a new helmet EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 12:54 pm

sounds like the start of a new thread...
how much and what type of armour do you need on a dualsport?
Jacket, pants, boots, eye protection, gloves... what else?

I picked up an Olympia DS jacket and like it so far, fits well cuts the wind and is toasty warm.
As for the amour, I know it's there and hopfuly I won't need it
just real time insurance, when you need it, it is there
Just like the smoke detector, good real time insurance... Need a new helmet 911463
Back to top Go down
Skeandhu

Skeandhu

Need a new helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a new helmet   Need a new helmet EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 1:35 pm

X-Racer wrote:
My argument is that the chance that one fall and hit their head to cause a fatal injury is of much less chance than a life-impacting spinal column injury ( ...a testament to good helmets obviously). The number of riders that suffer fatal injuries are surprisingly NOT primarily from blunt head
trauma, but secondary to the fall (for example: impact with another object).

Even it that's true for the case of fatalities, I'd still be concerned about head trauma - and living! A 5-yr old helmet may be the difference between walking away, and life with some sort of brain damage.

It's not the impact itself that causes damage... it all depends on how well you can maximize the amount of time it takes you to decelerate after impacting and object.

Quote :
how much and what type of armour do you need on a dualsport?
Jacket, pants, boots, eye protection, gloves... what else?

For off-road adventures, all of the above plus knee/shin pads. Sometimes elbow pads & chest protector instead of a jacket, depending on weather.

On-road typically has me in jeans instead of proper lower-body protection.
Back to top Go down
flatboarder

flatboarder

Need a new helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a new helmet   Need a new helmet EmptySun May 16, 2010 4:33 pm

Du you guys actually know the Italian Bye Adventure helmet distributed exclusively by Yamaha Europe with respect to the Tenere 660?
A very nice looking DS helmet, feels a bit like an MX helmet when being compared to e.g. an Arai Tour X.
Available in white/red, white/blue and black. I have the white/red version, for sure.
Not sure about, but I guess this helmet is not available at all overseas.
Regards, Phil
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

Need a new helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a new helmet   Need a new helmet EmptySun May 16, 2010 5:10 pm

I saw that helmet. Very nice...

I'd own one if I could find one (I'm a helmet slut). Let us know what you discover.
Back to top Go down
Matty

Matty

Need a new helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a new helmet   Need a new helmet EmptySun May 16, 2010 6:05 pm

i love my Icon "Variant" helmet. It has a flip down visor that can be removed and replaced with goggles. It's super light, DOT, ESE, SAI, and SG approved. The way it's designed the visor allows air to travel though it and not cause your head to get pulled back by the wind. it's also $200 less than it's Arai and Shoei counterpart.

http://www.rideicon.com/product_details.jsp?category=3121&id=11294
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

Need a new helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a new helmet   Need a new helmet EmptySun May 16, 2010 6:32 pm

Matty, the Varient is one awesome looking helmet. I might have to get one (probably the Varient Etched -blue with skulls).
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

Need a new helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a new helmet   Need a new helmet EmptySun May 16, 2010 6:41 pm

Looks like you can retrofit a HUD (with RPMs, speed, temp, gear Etc) on it ! Don't laugh, that's probably next !

...and you can double for the alien in "Predator" on Halloween !

Never found one to try on. Looks nice though.

We got our XD3s for $400 ea. ~ shrug ~
Back to top Go down
Matty

Matty

Need a new helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a new helmet   Need a new helmet EmptySun May 16, 2010 7:25 pm

X-Racer wrote:
Looks like you can retrofit a HUD (with RPMs, speed, temp, gear Etc) on it ! Don't laugh, that's probably next !

...and you can double for the alien in "Predator" on Halloween !

Never found one to try on. Looks nice though.

We got our XD3s for $400 ea. ~ shrug ~
Ya, the look of it takes a lil to get used to. It really isn't much larger than a MX only helmet. The nice thing is that it's just as light. You should head over to Del Amo in North Redondo or Cycle Gear in Lomita. Ya i used to live in the South Bay.
Back to top Go down
bikepsych

Need a new helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a new helmet   Need a new helmet EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 6:26 pm

Best to have two helmets if you can afford it. One for majority of street riding, I use a Nolan N101E Flip face. Really nice when its cooler out. I also have an Airoh for when I anticipate more than 60 percent of the ride off road. I think the AFX and the Airoh are basically the same DualSport helmet, a dirtbike helmet with a face shield a'la Arai XD, but at a fraction of the cost. What is it they say, "how much is your head worth?" I have to eat to survive to ya know. Need a new helmet 810411
Back to top Go down
clint

Need a new helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a new helmet   Need a new helmet EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 10:36 pm

Anyone who wants to discuss helmet safety should read this in-dept article on helmet safety
should review the one at motorcyclistonline.com

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

I totally concur with Dan on his recommendation, though.

The Fulmer helmets are an excellent value and one of the best performing helmets out there. They meet both the DOT and Snell Foundation standard and did surprisingly well in impact testing.

I personally have 3 helmets. 1 MX-Style with Goggles, and a pair of Fulmer Street-type full face helmets. Can't say enough good things about them
Back to top Go down
duanew

Need a new helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a new helmet   Need a new helmet EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 9:19 am

I really like Scorpion helmets. I used to use HJC but I like the scorpion better. I have a EXO-400 and recently picked up a VX-17 off road helmet. I have not ridden with the VX-17 yet and hope to put it through its paces in an upcomming ds ride.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Need a new helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need a new helmet   Need a new helmet Empty

Back to top Go down

Need a new helmet
Page 1 of 1