Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

need helmet help please

Go down 
+11
Rider_WV
mordicai
bren5279
trav72
DougZ
GusinCA
SheWolf
Dave Bell
Akasy
motokid
kparks
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kparks

need helmet help please Empty
PostSubject: need helmet help please   need helmet help please EmptyMon May 09, 2011 5:42 pm

i got a wr250r and need to get a helmet... i ride mostly on dirt and in woods so i was just going to get a dirtbike helmet are dirt bike helmets street legal??? i see some just say DOT and others say DOT + snell whats the difference and what do u guys prefer... and is the drag on the visor at high speed that big of a deal or is it not really nothing??? thanks
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: need helmet help please   need helmet help please EmptyMon May 09, 2011 5:55 pm

Search function works great for helmet. Not so much for some other things.

click me

We've been over this topic quite a bit.

I go with Moto-X helmet and goggles.

My state has no helmet law. So I don't really need to worry or care about Snell or DOT.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Choice   need helmet help please EmptyMon May 09, 2011 6:54 pm

Personal choice--I wear a full face flip up riding mostly dirt. The open face does not knock down the dust around here and I want to breath as little dust as possible. Second the goggles don't fit well over my glasses and restrick my periferal vision. helmets are like tires oil and antifreeze--everyone has an opinion Very happy
As to the DOT\Snell issue--read to you heart's content
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html
Back to top Go down
Dave Bell

Dave Bell

PostSubject: advice on helmet   need helmet help please EmptyMon May 09, 2011 7:03 pm

I would advise you to go try them on. There are only a few Helmets that fit my large round head, so trying to mail order and save a few bucks does not work for me. Pay a little extra and support your local bike shop. I ride a lot on road so usually wear flip ups.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: need helmet help please   need helmet help please EmptyMon May 09, 2011 7:16 pm

We've got a group buy on a hybrid DS helmet if you're interested. PM me if you are, deadline is today. wink

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: need helmet help please   need helmet help please EmptyMon May 09, 2011 8:55 pm

Nothing better than, and I mean nothing better than the Shoei Hornet DS.

Just bought one. So quiet, so comfortable, and the built in flip down visor means never needing goggles when the wind gets cold or rainy...

Definitely get one that has a visor, the upright riding position means the sun is always in your eyes otherwise. And the WR doesn't like going that fast anyway, so the wind shouldn't be a problem...
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: need helmet help please   need helmet help please EmptyMon May 09, 2011 8:58 pm

The hornet didn't fit worth a shit on me. It is a nice lid tho. thumb

motokid

PostSubject: Re: need helmet help please   need helmet help please EmptyMon May 09, 2011 9:08 pm

SheWolf wrote:
The hornet didn't fit worth a shit on me. It is a nice lid tho. thumb

Shoei helmets have never fit my head worth a damn.

Plus - they're really expensive.

Yeah yeah yeah....cheap head cheap helmet.....but I think there are plenty of good helmets that are more affordable.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: need helmet help please   need helmet help please EmptyMon May 09, 2011 9:19 pm

I am a fan of the AFX DS helmets. I had an AFX FX-37 DS and just got an AFX FX-39 DS. I do not like goggles.....tried them twice, so this helmet works great for me. Priced right too.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/35919/ITEM/AFX-FX-39-DS-Camo-Helmet.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: need helmet help please   need helmet help please EmptyMon May 09, 2011 9:28 pm

DougZ wrote:
I am a fan of the AFX DS helmets. I had an AFX FX-37 DS and just got an AFX FX-39 DS. I do not like goggles.....tried them twice, so this helmet works great for me. Priced right too.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/35919/ITEM/AFX-FX-39-DS-Camo-Helmet.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

I will say that your helmet looked pretty nice compared to the FX-37. If I ever decide to go back to the DS helmets I'll be getting that one.
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: need helmet help please   need helmet help please EmptyMon May 09, 2011 9:31 pm

trav72 wrote:
DougZ wrote:

I will say that your helmet looked pretty nice compared to the FX-37. If I ever decide to go back to the DS helmets I'll be getting that one.

Yeah...and Dave got a hell of a deal on the AFX dirt helmet, goggles and quick straps that I decided I did not want anymore. Very happy
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: need helmet help please   need helmet help please EmptyMon May 09, 2011 9:37 pm

DougZ wrote:

Yeah...and Dave got a hell of a deal on the AFX dirt helmet, goggles and quick straps that I decided I did not want anymore. Very happy

Yeah he did. But he needed a new helmet and goggles in the worst way. I think he might be even more thrifty than you! Very happy
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: need helmet help please   need helmet help please EmptyMon May 09, 2011 10:43 pm

See, and Shoei is the only helmet that ever fit me.
And I wear an xtra large and it's snug.

CALL ME MEGAMIND!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: need helmet help please   need helmet help please EmptyMon May 09, 2011 10:50 pm

Just more of you to love... Very happy amazon

Dave Bell

PostSubject: Re: need helmet help please   need helmet help please EmptyMon May 09, 2011 11:18 pm

GusinCA wrote:
See, and Shoei is the only helmet that ever fit me.
And I wear an xtra large and it's snug.

CALL ME MEGAMIND!

Shoei fits me too. XXL, very snug. Also Shuberth Concepts fit, in XXXL size. I can't find a fitting helmet under $500. Except I bought one Motocross Helmet in XXXXL, and it had groovy Grateful Dead Graphics.
Back to top Go down
kparks

PostSubject: Re: need helmet help please   need helmet help please EmptyTue May 10, 2011 12:24 am

Thanks so much everyone I think I'm going to order the large afx fx17 and some dragon goggles... And ill go from there the afx ds helmets look good to and there not to expensive and still meet standard dot and the Europe one so ill try them out and let u guys know how it works out.
Back to top Go down
bren5279

PostSubject: Re: need helmet help please   need helmet help please EmptyTue May 10, 2011 1:15 am

how is the fit on the AFX? is it too small or too big or just right compared to their sizing chart? cus Im kinda halfway in between 2 sizes and wondering whether to go bigger or smaller
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: need helmet help please   need helmet help please EmptyTue May 10, 2011 6:18 am

The FX 37 had sizing issues( order one size larger than normal)...the FX-39 is spot on. I love mine. You guys will be happy with the AFX.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: need helmet help please   need helmet help please EmptyTue May 10, 2011 9:34 am

GusinCA wrote:
Nothing better than, and I mean nothing better than the Shoei Hornet DS.

Just bought one. So quiet, so comfortable, and the built in flip down visor means never needing goggles when the wind gets cold or rainy...

Definitely get one that has a visor, the upright riding position means the sun is always in your eyes otherwise. And the WR doesn't like going that fast anyway, so the wind shouldn't be a problem...

Shoei Hornet buyers please be aware that the visor is nice for the sun BUT......the wind force on that visor at speeds over 60 mph makes it unusable for me and I have to take it off. Also......if you use the helmet without the visor and with the shield up the helmet will whistle VERY LOUD at anything over 25 mph!
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: need helmet help please   need helmet help please EmptyTue May 10, 2011 10:38 am

Makes me glad I bought the AFX too..neither of those issues happen.
Back to top Go down
Rider_WV

PostSubject: Re: need helmet help please   need helmet help please EmptyTue May 10, 2011 10:51 am

look at the FUlmer dual sport helmet as well. Much much nicer than the afx37, fit & finish is good and the noise isnt bad at all. I had the afx 37 for a week, the shield distortion was horrendous and the fit was terrible. I had a bad hot spot on my forehead and the shield was complete junk. Overall just a cheap crappy helmet. The FX39 is suppose to be much better but its just a rebadged THH, the Fly DS is the same as well.

The Shoei hornets are very very nice but dont fit my head, I went with the arai XD3 and must say its a very well made helmet. Its quiet comfortable and the venting is amazing. You can find them on clearance as well.

For full on dirt helmets I prefer the Bell Moto 8 or moto 9. I have two moto 8's and they are top notch. You can find them on clearance for under $150. They come with two sets of cheek pads a spare visor, and a really nice helmet bag. Scott, smith and oakley goggles all fit very well. The moto 9 will be my next purchase.

If you go MX helmet with goggles look into a set of goggles with dual pane lenses, they are the only lenses that will NOT fog up. Oakley enduro, Smith fuel enduro, Scott has dual pane available for almost every popular model. Single pane lenses, even with anti fog coating will fog up if you blink too fast. I will NEVER buy another set of single pane goggles. You can sometimes find the smith fuel enduros on sale for under $25.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: need helmet help please   need helmet help please EmptyTue May 10, 2011 12:36 pm

I have a shoei head for better or worse so I love my Hornet DS and the RF1000 it replaced. If a less expensive helmet had fit I would have gladly purchased it, but for me and my noggin Shoei's work best.

I don't have much problem with the visor over 60mph... some at 80mph and worse in cross winds. Mine doesn't really whistle either, might just be clogged with bug guts and dust though lol. It will be loud with the visor up, just like any other visor-less helmet, but its fairly quiet with the visor down particularly with the chin curtain installed. Either way, i'm almost always wearing ear plugs so noise is a bit of a moot point.

On a side note, I think a lot of the wind noise and buffeting is a symptom of this bike's front end. When I test rode an FZ8 I was wearing my Hornet and it was dead quiet and stable to 100+...

I also have an HJC CL-X5N dirt lid for dirt riding only, I hate wearing it too long though as it pinches my ears and leaves a knot on my forehead if I wear it for a couple of hours. Had an HJC CL-SP as my first street helmet and is still my backup/passenger lid, better around the crown of my head but still pinches my ears.
Back to top Go down
adamoto

adamoto

PostSubject: Re: need helmet help please   need helmet help please EmptyTue May 10, 2011 12:48 pm

skierd wrote:
On a side note, I think a lot of the wind noise and buffeting is a symptom of this bike's front end. When I test rode an FZ8 I was wearing my Hornet and it was dead quiet and stable to 100+...

What was your impression of the FZ8?
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: need helmet help please   need helmet help please EmptyTue May 10, 2011 6:36 pm

It was a neat bike. Great easy to use almost novice friendly motor under 6000rpm, bad ass powerhouse above it. Very smooth and pretty darn quiet. Handling I really couldn't evaluate due to traffic but it rode well over rough roads I'm familiar with on the WRR. The thing that really impressed me was the lack of bufetting at high speeds, just dead smooth and calm air up to and over 100mph. I'd be saving my pennies for one if I didn't hate how damn wide the tank it at my knee's, made it hard to get comfortable for me but I like narrower bikes.
Back to top Go down
Luke308

PostSubject: Re: need helmet help please   need helmet help please EmptyTue May 10, 2011 9:57 pm

I have a couple helmets available if you need one...

Both helmets are used, but in good condition. Both of these fit my head if it gives you an idea of the size difference..

HJC FS-15 Surge in blue, size Medium (black face shield).

AFX-37 DS in matte black, size Large (with clear and smoke face shield).

$150 shipped for both... 2 for the price of one...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: need helmet help please   need helmet help please Empty

Back to top Go down

need helmet help please
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next