Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Chains - X-Ring? O-Ring? Street? Off Road?

Go down 
+5
YZEtc
Dancamp
WRoldman
f3joel
motokid
9 posters
AuthorMessage
motokid
motokid

chains - Chains - X-Ring? O-Ring?  Street? Off Road? Empty
PostSubject: Chains - X-Ring? O-Ring? Street? Off Road?   chains - Chains - X-Ring? O-Ring?  Street? Off Road? EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 8:21 am

250X owners....when ordering new chain what do you go with and why?

X-ring? O-ring? Street? Dirt? Gold? Make?

What's the difference between x and o ?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: Chains - X-Ring? O-Ring? Street? Off Road?   chains - Chains - X-Ring? O-Ring?  Street? Off Road? EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 9:27 am

I use an O-ring chain.

http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/pages/catalogs/detail/26/200/400/67788/1/0/0/1/4/49/5287/58014/gytr-ultrahigh-performance-racing-chains-links-ek.aspx
Back to top Go down
WRoldman

WRoldman

PostSubject: Re: Chains - X-Ring? O-Ring? Street? Off Road?   chains - Chains - X-Ring? O-Ring?  Street? Off Road? EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am

X-ring for me, but O-rings work well too. The X-ring is basically a grooved O-ring giving it capacity to hold more lube. There are also claims that X-rings provide less power-robbing resistance. (How do you verify this one?) As far as durability between the two, my experience has revealed no difference. It seems that maintenance & riding environment are what really affects longevity.

I buy gold cause it looks cool, especially on a black or blue sprocket. Shallow I know. But aesthetics motivates me to keep the chain clean & maintenance is key.

Any brand name is good, I think. I have had good luck with DID & RK. This time I went with the GYTR gold X-ring extra lite. It doesn't feel any lighter. (That's all I can comment cause I have only put 100 miles on the new chain.) The price is right.

Side note: That stock sprocket is a boat anchor.
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: Chains - X-Ring? O-Ring? Street? Off Road?   chains - Chains - X-Ring? O-Ring?  Street? Off Road? EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 12:27 pm

Here's a link to someone's opinion.

http://www.quality-cycle.com/truth_about_motorcycle_chains.htm
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Chains - X-Ring? O-Ring? Street? Off Road?   chains - Chains - X-Ring? O-Ring?  Street? Off Road? EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 9:25 pm

I use both O- and X-ring chains but generally prefer the X-ring types, with my favorite being the DID VM series - they're an X-ring chain with a nice gold color.
Currently, I have a DID 520V O-ring chain on my WR-250R, and a DID 520VM X-ring chain on my WR-250F.

Like WRoldman mentioned, the X-rings have more sealing lips where the rubber ring touches the chain, thus making a better seal without having to be squashed as tightly.
This makes for less tension on the rubber ring and less drag.
:)
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Chains - X-Ring? O-Ring? Street? Off Road?   chains - Chains - X-Ring? O-Ring?  Street? Off Road? EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 6:35 am

yeah...everything I'm reading is pointing towards X-ring being the best bang for my dollar.

Thanks for the link dancamp.

Now I just have to decide on new tires first, or new chain and sprockets.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
PonchoV

PostSubject: Re: Chains - X-Ring? O-Ring? Street? Off Road?   chains - Chains - X-Ring? O-Ring?  Street? Off Road? EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 9:59 am

O ring or X is not that important to me as the tensil rating of the links.
I keep my rings clean & wet so my concern lays in what I cannot control.
The higher the metal rating the less stretch the chain will do & the less adjustment & the less sprocket wear I have encountered.
But if someone is looking for a near friction free chain then go to a totally ringless chain. Much less friction & therefore more HP getting to the rear tire.
Down side is w/o the rings the chain has a shorter life cause of all the sand & crude finding a home between the link side plates.
Back to top Go down
skrew

PostSubject: Re: Chains - X-Ring? O-Ring? Street? Off Road?   chains - Chains - X-Ring? O-Ring?  Street? Off Road? EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 2:24 pm

After I got scottoiler on my WRX I am thinking to get even non sealed chain. I can get one locally for as low as $8...10 for non-sealed 520 112 link ring. They still manufactured for vintage motorcycles here in Ukraine and Russia. I've tried it on my 125cc Hyusing XRX motard last time and was pretty happy. wings
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Chains - X-Ring? O-Ring? Street? Off Road?   chains - Chains - X-Ring? O-Ring?  Street? Off Road? EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 3:04 pm

Anyone got an opinion on these? I'm going to try some off-road trail riding & plan to get a set of wheels & tires & new chain & sprocket. Trying to decide what will work best.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330705832595?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320873062544?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Chains - X-Ring? O-Ring? Street? Off Road?   chains - Chains - X-Ring? O-Ring?  Street? Off Road? EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 7:16 pm

Go with the O-ring chain, unless you don't mind keeping a constant eye on slack and lubrication.
They last much longer and is why the bike comes stock with one.

Myself, I go with a rivet-type master link.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chains - X-Ring? O-Ring? Street? Off Road?   chains - Chains - X-Ring? O-Ring?  Street? Off Road? EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 8:16 pm

+1 for the O-ring

The gold chain is a non-O-ring. While it has a higher tensile strength rating, you're not dealing with 100+ horsepower. poser2

SunStar is a decent name brand, and being steel, those sprockets should last a while and take more abuse than aluminium.

Looks like a reasonable price for decent quality stuff.
Back to top Go down
TheBackRoads

PostSubject: Re: Chains - X-Ring? O-Ring? Street? Off Road?   chains - Chains - X-Ring? O-Ring?  Street? Off Road? EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 1:22 pm

Let us know what you decide MotoKid!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chains - X-Ring? O-Ring? Street? Off Road?   chains - Chains - X-Ring? O-Ring?  Street? Off Road? Empty

Back to top Go down

Chains - X-Ring? O-Ring? Street? Off Road?
Page 1 of 1