Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

better offroad solution than two rear tires?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

better offroad solution than two rear tires? Empty
PostSubject: better offroad solution than two rear tires?   better offroad solution than two rear tires? EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 12:14 am

I'm just curious, is there any other knobby solution for our 17"s besides running a rear tire up front? My buddy who has a cr80 says that it has 17's as well, and that the rear wheel on that is 2.5" Would a knobby meant for a 2.5" fit on our 3" wide front? Maybe it wouldn't look so goofy and solve any clearance issues. better offroad solution than two rear tires? Icon_scratch
Back to top Go down
clint

PostSubject: Re: better offroad solution than two rear tires?   better offroad solution than two rear tires? EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 2:45 am

twowheeled wrote:
I'm just curious, is there any other knobby solution for our 17"s besides running a rear tire up front? My buddy who has a cr80 says that it has 17's as well, and that the rear wheel on that is 2.5" Would a knobby meant for a 2.5" fit on our 3" wide front? Maybe it wouldn't look so goofy and solve any clearance issues. better offroad solution than two rear tires? Icon_scratch

I have Kenda 270s on front and back (140 in back and 120 up front) and, on my first outing with them, I was less than confident. Way less than confident.

I have played with the air pressures in the tires and put about 200 miles on since that time and I'll be honest with you, they're settling down to be very good tires off road or on.

I'm currently at 23psi in back and 25psi up front and it handles much better than it did when I was running 29psi up front.

With the higher pressure, the transition from vertical to any sort of lean felt squirmy, but is has settled down a lot more now that I am running a bit less air in the front.

Keep in mind it will not behave like an SM, with lightning quick turning. It handles more like an RR now. I do not ride it like an SM should be ridden but it feels and handles a lot more like my 2007 KLX250S does.

I feel confident enough now with it that I would not hesitate to ride it for 150-200 miles at a stretch on the road now.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: better offroad solution than two rear tires?   better offroad solution than two rear tires? EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 5:08 am

twowheeled wrote:
My buddy who has a cr80 says that it has 17's as well, and that the rear wheel on that is 2.5" Would a knobby meant for a 2.5" fit on our 3" wide front? Maybe it wouldn't look so goofy and solve any clearance issues. better offroad solution than two rear tires? Icon_scratch

No way.
The front tire size on a CR-80R is 70mm wide (70/100-17).
Too narrow.

The rear tire diameter on a CR-80R is 14", and 90mm wide (90/100-14).
Still too narrow and the wrong diameter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: better offroad solution than two rear tires?   better offroad solution than two rear tires? Empty

Back to top Go down

better offroad solution than two rear tires?
Page 1 of 1