Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

rear tire alignment

Go down 
+2
inspector
mwagman
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mwagman

rear tire alignment Empty
PostSubject: rear tire alignment   rear tire alignment EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 2:12 pm

I just mounted a michelin t63 rear tire, im new at this so bare with me.
It seems pretty strait but when i run it slowly on the stand it seems to move side to side a little.
What is the correct way to align the rear tire?
when a shop near by out the tire on the rim they added some wheel weights seems pointless if its not done while on my bike.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: rear tire alignment   rear tire alignment EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 2:17 pm

You don't align a tire, you align a rim. The weights are to balance a tire and rim together. That you do off the bike. To align a rim you usually do off the bike, but have seen people do it with success still on.

You should probably figure out whether the rim runs straight as you turn it, not the tire?
Back to top Go down
yellowredlight

PostSubject: Re: rear tire alignment   rear tire alignment EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 3:35 pm

im not getting how the tire would move side to side without the rim being bent.

silly question, but the tire is inflated right?

when you put the wheel back on and line up the hash marks on each side of the swing arm, take it for a rip and see how it feels.
Back to top Go down
andy mac

PostSubject: Re: rear tire alignment   rear tire alignment EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 4:37 pm

Have you checked that the tyre shoulder is seated around both sides of the rim? It is the right angle that bends out and over the rim to protect it. The bead needs to be lubricated with detergent or CRC & sometimes 60psi to seat the shoulder on some tyres.
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: rear tire alignment   rear tire alignment EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 9:39 am

yellowredlight wrote:

when you put the wheel back on and line up the hash marks on each side of the swing arm, take it for a rip and see how it feels.

Anyone know how accurate the 'hash' marks are? Mine seem slightly different on each side, maybe a couple of mm, but the tyre wear seems even (although quite hard to tell). Is there an easy way of setting this up correctly?
Back to top Go down
yellowredlight

PostSubject: Re: rear tire alignment   rear tire alignment EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 10:05 am

mash100 wrote:
yellowredlight wrote:

Anyone know how accurate the 'hash' marks are? Mine seem slightly different on each side, maybe a couple of mm, but the tyre wear seems even (although quite hard to tell). Is there an easy way of setting this up correctly?

if it feels fine, and tire wears normal i wouldn't loose sleep over it rear tire alignment 61865
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: rear tire alignment   rear tire alignment EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 2:21 pm

yellowredlight wrote:
mash100 wrote:
yellowredlight wrote:

if it feels fine, and tire wears normal i wouldn't loose sleep over it rear tire alignment 61865
2mm or more is actually quite a lot. (even thou i do agree with the normal wear=don't lose sleep)
One of the first times I adjusted my chain I measured from the axle to a constant on both sides and found out my marks to be less then 1/2mm(i think) off. Perfectly acceptable in my book. So now I feel confident using those marks even thou others have complained of their marks being way more off.

*edit...I may have messed up the quotes, sorry.
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: rear tire alignment   rear tire alignment EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 4:00 pm

Tire run out is normal, i have never seen a tire that was perfect and no 2 tires are the same
One of the other guys mentioned wheel run out
You can tape a little pointer to your swing arm and see how true your rim is, if it's within a couple mil dont worry, if you have 5 mil you should have a shop true it for you
All spoked wheels have some run out and it's not a big deal
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: rear tire alignment   rear tire alignment Empty

Back to top Go down

rear tire alignment
Page 1 of 1