Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Index Wall (almost)!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
inspector

inspector

Index Wall (almost)! Empty
PostSubject: Index Wall (almost)!   Index Wall (almost)! EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 9:55 pm

Well nobody wanted to go with, so did it solo. Probably a good idea since I am so slow. lol
The pics totally suck shinola since it the phone camera. Ruined my other one and nobody will buy me one, (i'm too cheap and broke right now).

*First pics are the worst.

Here is getting the equipment ready last night.
This is my gas caddy to carry in my backpack. Figured it must be ok since it was used to store acidtone. Too bad the lid is not leakproof. I really tried to run out of gas to get the total miles, just didn't happen.
Index Wall (almost)! Firsttry017

Now getting the gps ready. Pics don't do it justice. Used string trimmer line to tie it to the bars. lol
Index Wall (almost)! Firsttry015
Index Wall (almost)! Firsttry016

Anyway, took a pic of the car as the bike was warming up. It was about 31deg as I left for Reiter this morning.
Index Wall (almost)! 3-6-09soloride001

Wanted to do the Index Wall thingy, but wasn't sure about the map i had. Found a couple of roads when I got out there, but they either ended up in rock-crawl territory or didn't go the way i wanted (or thought i wanted).
Index Wall (almost)! 3-6-09soloride002
Index Wall (almost)! 3-6-09soloride003
Followed that one and came to this. Could have kept going up the hill, but didn't think that's where I wanted to go. Turns out I could have done that i think.
Index Wall (almost)! 3-6-09soloride004

First puddle I came to. Crossed with no problem.
Index Wall (almost)! 3-6-09soloride005

Didn't take any pics of me getting lost on the asphalt road I came to. Got all turned around until I finally realized I needed to go further up it. Finally found the NF road and really started getting up in elevation.
Few random pics of snow and riding conditions.
Index Wall (almost)! 3-6-09soloride008
Index Wall (almost)! 3-6-09soloride007
Index Wall (almost)! 3-6-09soloride006

Creek crossing that is only a couple inches deep and a log damn/earth barrier. Easy going.
Index Wall (almost)! 3-6-09soloride013
Index Wall (almost)! 3-6-09soloride012

There where lots of puddle crossings, but this was the longest and deepest. Wasn't too bad until the middle and then along with the water there must have been a couple inches of mud under it. Didn't go down on any of the water crossings. Wanted to stop in the middle and get a pic of how deep it was, but afraid of stalling it and not getting it started.
Index Wall (almost)! 3-6-09soloride009

Kept going until it got hard to make out the trail. Rough going. Some spots had to go around fallen trees. For some reason no pic of said tree. Don't know what happened.
Index Wall (almost)! 3-6-09soloride011
Trail seemed to dead end at this cliff/very steep valley.
Index Wall (almost)! 3-6-09soloride010
Looked around but couldn't find the trail in all the snow. Wasn't until I turned around and got back down to the bottom when I figured out, that was probably the end. I was supposed to hike up the last bit. doh. Next time.

Road home, took a couple of detours looking for a perticular road (that I didn't find). Legs and feet where freezing when I got back. Started to take off my clothes when I found this little guy after he fell of my sock. Along with the worm I think I also poured about a cup of water out of the boots.
Index Wall (almost)! 3-6-09soloride014

Lastly. When I was at the Very top, I hit the save button on the GPS, so I could figure out where I was and get a pic of that also. As it turned out, i needed to hit the save button twice and didn't. No proof I actually made it anywhere!!
Good tiimes!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Index Wall (almost)!   Index Wall (almost)! EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 1:39 am

Nice pics! Hey you've got bait for your next offroad fishing trip! thumb

cyborg

PostSubject: Index Wall Overlook   Index Wall (almost)! EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 3:01 am

inspector wrote:
Well nobody wanted to go with, so did it solo. Probably a good idea since I am so slow. lol

Hey Inspector, likely you took the right hand fork in the road to the Index Wall, which leads you off in the wrong direction and ends the way you show. If you take the left on the main fork, you will eventually reach the cable barrier on the rocks where they blocked off the last 100ft or so.

Index Wall (almost)! 364574639_uqxtw-L

and you'll know you are there, no trees in the way of the view

Index Wall (almost)! 364574132_HBDeU-L

here's how it used to look when you could ride a bike all the way to the cliff edge (and off it if you wanted to) eeek

On my DRZ400S a few years ago...
Index Wall (almost)! 18373908_RCHCx-L
Back to top Go down
cyborg

cyborg

PostSubject: Re: Index Wall (almost)!   Index Wall (almost)! EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 3:06 am

And here is a view from the town of Index (at the bridge) looking up to where the Index Wall Overlook is...

Index Wall (almost)! 18377166_xLrSM-L

and taking a WR250R there a few months ago...

Index Wall (almost)! 364574403_wBMTP-L
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Index Wall (almost)!   Index Wall (almost)! EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 11:32 am

Oh I love all those pics you guys! Keep them coming!! thumb

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Index Wall (almost)!   Index Wall (almost)! EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 12:37 pm

cyborg...Thanks for posting. After looking at your pics, I don't have a clue as too where I was. Had a map that started to make sense at the end, but now i don't know.
Wanted to try something different next time, but now I gotta find the end!!

*one day inspector will have a picture of index from the top!
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Index Wall (almost)!   Index Wall (almost)! EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 4:09 pm

Just went and re-re-looked at a map. I'm thinking you are right about the "y" in the road. Though honestly didn't see it. What may have happened is i took the bypass on the right, then followed that to the end road and then you are supposed to take a hard left at the end then meet back up with the other road. With all the snow I couldn't really make a trail out.
If this is the case, then shoot, I only made it about half way.

Thoughts? Though technically it doesn't matter, I'll try again when the snow is gone.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Index Wall (almost)!   Index Wall (almost)! EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 10:03 pm

Thanks for the post and the pics Inspector. thumb
It's amazing how much fun can be had trying to find some place on a map. The number of places I've tried to find ... wouldn't trade any many of them.

A suggestion for everyone:
We are dealing with not only a National forum here, but an International forum.
Please post your location (just general, not your full address) in your profile.
It would be neat to know where the heck the 'Index Wall' is out of curiosity, but I have no idea as no one has their profile filled out.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
cyborg

cyborg

PostSubject: Re: Index Wall (almost)!   Index Wall (almost)! EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 12:01 am

inspector wrote:
Just went and re-re-looked at a map. I'm thinking you are right about the "y" in the road. Though honestly didn't see it. What may have happened is i took the bypass on the right, then followed that to the end road and then you are supposed to take a hard left at the end then meet back up with the other road. With all the snow I couldn't really make a trail out.
If this is the case, then shoot, I only made it about half way.

Thoughts? Though technically it doesn't matter, I'll try again when the snow is gone.

Hey inspector, yes you can do as you say, take a left at the end of the right hand road, but the trail is small and rough and would probably be invisible in snow. Going in Winter is good because the "puddles" aren't as deep. In the warmer wetter season a few of those jeep traps WILL drown your bike, some are 3 to 4ft deep. Stay to the edges, and where not possible, the very rough log hopping weaving through the tree route works best, though the "left side" trees (going to the lookout) is impossible unless you happen to be a trials rider. The right side "in the trees" is the best bet for most in the wet season. Have fun!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Index Wall (almost)!   Index Wall (almost)! Empty

Back to top Go down

Index Wall (almost)!
Page 1 of 1