Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WRR Single Track?

Go down 
+10
njbill
jason meacham
mattf
john92
denniswrr
blkwrr
SheWolf
Midnite171
Jäger
ozarkadver
14 posters
AuthorMessage
ozarkadver

WRR Single Track? Empty
PostSubject: WRR Single Track?   WRR Single Track? EmptyTue May 04, 2010 2:14 pm

I raced a 97 WR 250 two stroke in many harescrambles back in the day. And now ride a DR 650 and am wanting to get back more into the single track world, but stay street legeal. Is the WRR a good single track bike. And when I mean good would I beable to ride or trailer to a harescramble run the WRR hard and maybe place if my skills allow me to. And then ride it home if not traildered?
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

WRR Single Track? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRR Single Track?   WRR Single Track? EmptyTue May 04, 2010 3:41 pm

ozarkadver wrote:
I raced a 97 WR 250 two stroke in many harescrambles back in the day. And now ride a DR 650 and am wanting to get back more into the single track world, but stay street legeal. Is the WRR a good single track bike. And when I mean good would I beable to ride or trailer to a harescramble run the WRR hard and maybe place if my skills allow me to. And then ride it home if not traildered?
High Five says yes...

I just wish 1997 was "back in the day" for me...
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

WRR Single Track? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRR Single Track?   WRR Single Track? EmptyTue May 04, 2010 5:03 pm

My opinion would be : YES!!!

The bike is very tight and nimble in the woods, but able to blast well when in little more open areas. It trudges through the mud well too. With a couple mods you can really get some extra power. But in my opinion, this bike would be fine for what you're looking for. Sometimes a small and nimble bike can actually be faster than the big bikes in the right circumstances.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

WRR Single Track? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRR Single Track?   WRR Single Track? EmptyTue May 04, 2010 5:41 pm

+10 WRR Single Track? 61865 This bike is stupid fun off-road. Just don't' do it with stock tires or you'll just frustrate yourself.

blkwrr

WRR Single Track? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRR Single Track?   WRR Single Track? EmptyTue May 04, 2010 7:04 pm

Lets face it (assuming equal rider ability) a wrr is never going to match it with say a wrf Enduro bike. That said providing you change the tyres & gearing you won't be embarrased either.
Back to top Go down
denniswrr

denniswrr

WRR Single Track? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRR Single Track?   WRR Single Track? EmptyTue May 04, 2010 8:08 pm

i love my wr for single track, with some mods you can get haulin a$$ in the woods. and if you get tired you can take roads back to the trailhead.. this bikes the best of both worlds
Back to top Go down
john92

WRR Single Track? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRR Single Track?   WRR Single Track? EmptyTue May 04, 2010 8:30 pm

You will have to work a little harder with it than a full-blown woods or motocross bike for single track. But, the 100% street legal factor outweighs that in my opinion. It's a great all-around bike. I haven't ridden in competition per say but have ridden some dual-sport events that were just about an un-timed enduro and the bike did just fine.
Back to top Go down
mattf

WRR Single Track? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRR Single Track?   WRR Single Track? EmptyTue May 04, 2010 8:48 pm

I rode my wrr up to the hair scramble on Sunday to watch my friend race (I injured my knee a couple weeks ago racing supermoto so I can't, or "shouldn't", race for 6 weeks according to the doc) when I pulled in the guy taking money when you pull in the parking lot had a puzzled look on his face and slowly said "spectator?"

I haven't done a hair scramble yet but am planning on trying it with the wrr at some point, after my knee is better.
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

WRR Single Track? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRR Single Track?   WRR Single Track? EmptyTue May 04, 2010 10:31 pm

I think my wrr is a pretty good bike for single track,,like others have already said,it is not the same as a race bike but the fact that it's street legal makes up for it..adding dunlop 606 tires and a 47 tooth rear sprocket has made a big difference,, WRR Single Track? 945348 WRR Single Track? 945348 WRR Single Track? 945348 WRR Single Track? 945348
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

WRR Single Track? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRR Single Track?   WRR Single Track? EmptyTue May 04, 2010 11:14 pm

ozarkadver wrote:
Is the WRR a good single track bike. And when I mean good would I beable to ride or trailer to a harescramble run the WRR hard and maybe place if my skills allow me to. And then ride it home if not traildered?

I love my WRR but I have to say no. You can have a lot of fun but not compete seriously. I have raced both hare scrambles and enduros as late as 2007. The field of street legal race bikes is a better choice than the WRR. If you are set on a 250F, I suggest you take a good look at the Husky TE250 or TE310. If you really want to drive the bike to and from the events, the KTM 450 EXC is a better choice because it has a wider transmission and can cruise on the highway.

Here is the last bike I raced with. It was 216 lbs. and made almost 40 hp. In the woods, it will eat my WRR alive... no contest. Most riders looking to "place" will be on similar machines. You will be at a significant disadvantage on a WR250R.

WRR Single Track? KTM006
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

WRR Single Track? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRR Single Track?   WRR Single Track? EmptyTue May 04, 2010 11:24 pm

I have to agree with njbill, although it depends on your expectations as to whether or not you'd be happy racing a WR-250R.

If you're half-expecting to kick some serious ass, I don't think so.
The WR-250R is hauling around 40 pounds more and has a less-expensive (that's being kind) suspension than Yamaha's own WR-250F, a bike that you could do very well on.
In my opinion, power is not an issue with the WR-250R (once uncorked) - the weight and suspension is.

If, however, you already realize this stuff, I think you could have a ball out there on the trails. :)
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

WRR Single Track? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRR Single Track?   WRR Single Track? EmptyWed May 05, 2010 9:06 am

Njbill,

I will agree with you to a certain extent. I did extensive research before I bought my WRR a month ago. If money was no object at all, I definitely would have went with one of the KTM's for sure. They are definitely bad-ass! However, I got my 2009 WRR for $5590 (brand new) and the KTM's were around $10,000. So I went with the WR because I will not be competing anymore. I WILL say that I raced (motocross) my 1989 CR 250 for many years and I remember MANY people saying around 1995 that I wouldn't be competitive with my 89 CR. Well, I did pretty good and it felt good passing the brand new bikes with my "ancient" CR.

I guess my point is, all riders being equal, the KTM would be better, but that doesn't mean in the twisty turns of the woods, the WR wouldn't keep up and if your able to master and throw the WR around, you would do better than someone on a KTM that might not be able to handle it as well. But I will admit, although I am really happy with the "funness" of my WR, I wouldn't mind having a nice KTM to blast around on. Nice bike, BTW!!!
Back to top Go down
ed29

ed29

WRR Single Track? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRR Single Track?   WRR Single Track? EmptyWed May 05, 2010 1:57 pm

The nut holding the handlebar has more to do with placement than the letters and numbers that make up the bike's identity. I have seen an air cooled KDX-200 pilot compete with modern 250 two strokes (modern at that time, ten years ago) and give them a good run on a tough moto-cross track. Naysayers say it cannot be done, doesn't work on paper. Riders don't race on paper though. Nor do they race in theory. Funny things happen out in the world.

If you were competitive on your prior rides you will be competitive on a WRR uncorked and with good tires. You would want to consider having a good shop work over that rear shock early on in your effort.
Back to top Go down
ozarkadver

WRR Single Track? Empty
PostSubject: Mods   WRR Single Track? EmptyWed May 05, 2010 2:19 pm

I think with toothing up, right tires, some pipeing, armor, and a little suspenion work. The WRR could be very compative in B and C class's with the right rider mounted.
Back to top Go down
Tammy

Tammy

WRR Single Track? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRR Single Track?   WRR Single Track? EmptyWed May 05, 2010 9:43 pm

I'm 47 I only have 53% of my lung cap and can't do 1 push-up and I race my Wr250r and even tho I'll never get anywhere with it I'm have more fun then anyone not racing... Sometimes it gets so bad I stop thinking right and I'll go down and as hard as it is I pick the bike up and keep going... I'm a sick girl and in the past 4 yrs was told 2 times I got lucky cuz I could of not made it. I'm still sick and should not be out in the woods walking forgetabout being on a bike...

So is it good on single tracks ? YES is it a good bike to race? not if your looking to win but if your doing it to have fun Hell yes..

Set the bike up to fit you fix the suspension cuz that sucks and gear it for your speed pick your tires and go have fun and you will pass up a KTM or two cuz I have on mine up hill on big rocks it's seems to be my place to have the guys bow
Back to top Go down
Tammy

Tammy

WRR Single Track? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRR Single Track?   WRR Single Track? EmptyWed May 05, 2010 9:56 pm

ed29 wrote:
You would want to consider having a good shop work over that rear shock early on in your effort.
cry

That thing is going to kill someone, It almost put me over the bar last weekend right before it gave out all together.. Sent it to Go-Race to have them fix it up..
I would say that should be the first thing you do is get it to ride right then tires/gearing then go for the power last...
Back to top Go down
RT3856

RT3856

WRR Single Track? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRR Single Track?   WRR Single Track? EmptyThu May 13, 2010 2:46 am

I had a KLR650 baldy
I sold that and four months ago got a 2008 WRR.
April 10 and 11 I rode/raced over in Odessa on the desert 100.
Well it was FUN! Very happy
As for winning I knew everyone there was probably a better rider than me. "one benefit of being older/48"
I am realistic.
Did I mention fun, oh yeah, We ran low on beer on Sat night sooo I zipped into town on the WR and got a few brews.
Did I mention the fun part cheers
Back to top Go down
RT3856

RT3856

WRR Single Track? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRR Single Track?   WRR Single Track? EmptyThu May 13, 2010 2:51 am

Tammy wrote:
I'm 47 I only have 53% of my lung cap and can't do 1 push-up and I race my Wr250r and even tho I'll never get anywhere with it I'm have more fun then anyone not racing... Sometimes it gets so bad I stop thinking right and I'll go down and as hard as it is I pick the bike up and keep going... I'm a sick girl and in the past 4 yrs was told 2 times I got lucky cuz I could of not made it. I'm still sick and should not be out in the woods walking forgetabout being on a bike...

So is it good on single tracks ? YES is it a good bike to race? not if your looking to win but if your doing it to have fun Hell yes..

Set the bike up to fit you fix the suspension cuz that sucks and gear it for your speed pick your tires and go have fun and you will pass up a KTM or two cuz I have on mine up hill on big rocks it's seems to be my place to have the guys bow
Tammy, You have the right attitude.
People will most often regret the things they did not do more than the things they have done.
Keep riding!
Back to top Go down
ozarkadver

WRR Single Track? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRR Single Track?   WRR Single Track? EmptyTue May 18, 2010 3:18 pm

Tammy wrote:

Set the bike up to fit you fix the suspension cuz that sucks and gear it for your speed pick your tires and go have fun and you will pass up a KTM or two cuz I have on mine up hill on big rocks it's seems to be my place to have the guys WRR Single Track? 204616
How is the harescrambles going? Does the R2 hold up good in the woods and when you lay it over?
Back to top Go down
RT3856

RT3856

WRR Single Track? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRR Single Track?   WRR Single Track? EmptyTue May 18, 2010 3:52 pm

ozarkadver wrote:
Tammy wrote:

Set the bike up to fit you fix the suspension cuz that sucks and gear it for your speed pick your tires and go have fun and you will pass up a KTM or two cuz I have on mine up hill on big rocks it's seems to be my place to have the guys WRR Single Track? 204616
How is the harescrambles going? Does the R2 hold up good in the woods and when you lay it over?
Well once in a while the ol WR gets a little tired and lays down for a short rest but, with a little coaxing we get up and get going. Don't know bout other folks WR's but mine has an ego as big as all outdoors and wouldn't show signs of damage even if the rear fender was falling off. Yep one tough little bike, that WR.
So far nothin but a few scratches.Which are like scars. and scars are like tattoo's only with better stories poser2
Back to top Go down
ozarkadver

WRR Single Track? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRR Single Track?   WRR Single Track? EmptyTue May 18, 2010 5:09 pm

RT3856 wrote:
ozarkadver wrote:
Tammy wrote:

Well once in a while the ol WR gets a little tired and lays down for a short rest but, with a little coaxing we get up and get going. Don't know bout other folks WR's but mine has an ego as big as all outdoors and wouldn't show signs of damage even if the rear fender was falling off. Yep one tough little bike, that WR.
So far nothin but a few scratches.Which are like scars. and scars are like tattoo's only with better stories WRR Single Track? 851577
Nice!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

WRR Single Track? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRR Single Track?   WRR Single Track? Empty

Back to top Go down

WRR Single Track?
Page 1 of 1