Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

OEM Rear Sprocket...

Go down 
+6
Don T
ZED
SheWolf
DirtFarmer
mwakey
Louisbiker
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Louisbiker

Louisbiker

OEM Rear Sprocket... Empty
PostSubject: OEM Rear Sprocket...   OEM Rear Sprocket... EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 8:10 pm

OEM rear sprocket...

I really think that rubber is causing problems. I've had the chain slip after a 500km day. I think this is caused by the rubber on the sprocket not letting the chain sit in the sprocket fully. This is the first time i've had the chain slip on any bike i've owned.
The rubber is just there for noise suppression, and the 09 model doesn't have rubber on te rear sprocket... has anyone seen rubber on a rear sprocket before?

My rear sprocket is really worn now and i've only done 3800kms!

I'm thinking of cutting it off...

Any Thoughts??

OEM Rear Sprocket... Img_1210
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: OEM Rear Sprocket...   OEM Rear Sprocket... EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 9:08 pm

Why cut off the rubber ring? Your sprocket is already shot. Just buy a new one.

I've got almost 5,000 miles on my '08 and the sprocket looks nothing like yours. My wear pattern seems fairly normal in my opinion. Either you are riding hard and/or your chain is not adjusted properly.

Chain adjustment procedure
Back to top Go down
Louisbiker

Louisbiker

PostSubject: Re: OEM Rear Sprocket...   OEM Rear Sprocket... EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 9:27 pm

Yeah. i know.. That's not the point. My main questions are:

-Why have people reported slipping chains?
-Why is there has there been an update to the chain adjustment procedure?
-Is the Rubber ring causing chain adjustment woes? ...not just for us, but for the Yamaha engineers as well???
-Has anyone seen rubber on a rear sprocket before?

If i ride the bike for 500km in a day.. why should i have to adjust the chain half way through the day.

My chain is definitely adjusted properly... at the start of a long day. however at the end of the day is slapping around like a bastard.
I've removed the shock (so it's easy to swing the wheel through the entire range and find the tightest point)
and adjusted the chain at the tightest point in the suspension travel, the chain is not lose.

I'm going to get new sprockets and a different brand chain, maybe they'll last a bit longer..

-------------

Also, is the rubber on the rear sprocket in place of (only slightly) a cush-drive hub... or is it just for chain noise suppression?
Don't 250cc thumpers (that are for Road use) usually have cush-drive hub?
If not, is there any power-pulse damping in the motor/clutch/gearbox. (like huskys?)

I know, lots of questions... this issue is really intriguing me :)
Back to top Go down
DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer

PostSubject: Good Thread!   OEM Rear Sprocket... EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 9:50 pm

Louisbiker wrote:

Any Thoughts??

OEM Rear Sprocket... Img_1210

That picture is worth repeating.

Going by that picture alone, there is not enough clearance between the bottom of the valley and the rubber.

Any signs of wear on the rubber?
Back to top Go down
Louisbiker

Louisbiker

PostSubject: Re: OEM Rear Sprocket...   OEM Rear Sprocket... EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 10:05 pm

EXACTLY!

there isn't much wear on the rubber. None that i can see anyway. the rubber still looks perfect.
Maybe the rubber is too hard. When i first bought the bike it i thought it may let the chain sit in the valleys properly after a couple of hundred kms... i was wrong.
Back to top Go down
DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer

PostSubject: Re: OEM Rear Sprocket...   OEM Rear Sprocket... EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 10:15 pm

I would have to say that sprocket is toast, but not bad enough to be eating away at your chain.

Might as well change our rear out now and salvage what left of your chain.
Back to top Go down
Louisbiker

Louisbiker

PostSubject: Re: OEM Rear Sprocket...   OEM Rear Sprocket... EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 12:53 am

Yep it's toast alright. That's not the issue.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: OEM Rear Sprocket...   OEM Rear Sprocket... EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 10:47 am

I was just thinking too along the lines of that rubber ring. When I ripped out my 13T, that sucker has hard rubber guides on BOTH sides of it. Makes me wonder if that is also part of the problems people are having with the front skipping... dunno It hasn't happened to me, but by looking at that puppy, there isn't much meat there for the chain to have contact with.

ZED

PostSubject: Re: OEM Rear Sprocket...   OEM Rear Sprocket... EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 2:54 pm

In my mind there is something wrong with the stock chain/sprocket combo.
I have about 6700km on my WRX and the chain and sprockets are toast!
I originally put that off as a DSPO thing, but a lot of people have reported only getting 5k+ out of them.
I'm looking forward to seeing how the aftermarket ones last.
Back to top Go down
Louisbiker

Louisbiker

PostSubject: Re: OEM Rear Sprocket...   OEM Rear Sprocket... EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 9:20 pm

SheWolf wrote:
I was just thinking too along the lines of that rubber ring. When I ripped out my 13T, that sucker has hard rubber guides on BOTH sides of it. Makes me wonder if that is also part of the problems people are having with the front skipping... dunno It hasn't happened to me, but by looking at that puppy, there isn't much meat there for the chain to have contact with.

I've had a very close look at my front sprocket and it still looks new. The case saver shows no sign of the chain hitting it...and i definately had the chain slip. I'd love to see a closeup picture of a front sprocket that had the chain slip, there would be some damage to the teeth for sure.

The rubber on the front sprocket doesn't stop the chain sitting in the valleys of the teeth (not like the rear).

I've removed the rubber from the rear sprocket and it seems much better, and there's no more noise that i can tell. That rubber is seriously hard.. pretty much like plastic.. but tough!

OEM Rear Sprocket... 3337892116_8a310de84c_b

I'm going to watch for wear patterns on this sprocket.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: OEM Rear Sprocket...   OEM Rear Sprocket... EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 9:33 pm

WOW! Is your sprocket and chain always that clean, or did I miss something and those are brand new?
Back to top Go down
Louisbiker

Louisbiker

PostSubject: Re: OEM Rear Sprocket...   OEM Rear Sprocket... EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 10:48 pm

Very happy No, not usually that clean. But in the process of removing the rubber I cleaned it up a bit. That was taken just after i put it back together...
Back to top Go down
Don T

Don T

PostSubject: Re: OEM Rear Sprocket...   OEM Rear Sprocket... EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 6:28 pm

Louisbiker wrote:
OEM Rear Sprocket... 3337892116_8a310de84c_b

How the hell did you get the sprocket so clean scratch

I have just removed (most of) the rubber from my rear sprocket GAHHHH There are still a bit left eg. the rubber in the holes of the sprocket - how did you remove ALL the rubber?

dddog T
Back to top Go down
Louisbiker

Louisbiker

PostSubject: Re: OEM Rear Sprocket...   OEM Rear Sprocket... EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 7:14 pm

That plastic/rubber is really tough.

I used a blade to cut the main rubber off
I drilled it out of the holes..
then I used a flap-disc (on an angle grinder) on the rest of the rubber/glue
then I used a wire wheel on a bench grinder
then superfine sandpaper
then autosol metal polish...

There is some seriously strong glue holding the rubber onto the sprocket...

Fun thumb
Back to top Go down
Don T

Don T

PostSubject: Re: OEM Rear Sprocket...   OEM Rear Sprocket... EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 4:00 am

Louisbiker wrote:

I used a blade to cut the main rubber off
I drilled it out of the holes..
then I used a flap-disc (on an angle grinder) on the rest of the rubber/glue
then I used a wire wheel on a bench grinder
then superfine sandpaper
then autosol metal polish...
Fun thumb

I think that I'll just leave the remaining rubber where it is Suspect
Back to top Go down
BluePill

BluePill

PostSubject: Re: OEM Rear Sprocket...   OEM Rear Sprocket... EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 10:22 pm

At 4K miles my chain & sprockets are still in good shape, and never had the skipping problem. I am fairy anal about adjustment/cleaning/lubrication (not too hard since 80% of riding is street). I did have a thought about this: With the factory rear shock adjustment the rear end really jumps badly on washboard dirt. This really pounds the driveline. Maybe those that have re-adjusted the rear suspension have helped to ease the excessive sprocket wear. Just a thought in the ever-deepening and controversial sprocket saga.
Back to top Go down
drater

drater

PostSubject: Re: OEM Rear Sprocket...   OEM Rear Sprocket... EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 10:34 pm

could the wear be happening from the wrong chain tension? scratch
Back to top Go down
scottmac

scottmac

PostSubject: Re: OEM Rear Sprocket...   OEM Rear Sprocket... EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 7:18 pm

I saw someplace (think it was on ADV) that the '09s are coming with
no rubber on the new factory delivered sprockets.

If this is true then it looks like Yamaha has identified it as a problem and
taken steps to correct it.
Back to top Go down
oldirt

oldirt

PostSubject: Re: OEM Rear Sprocket...   OEM Rear Sprocket... EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 8:33 pm

I think a replacement is needed. Maybe a 46t to make the bike FUNNER !!
Back to top Go down
Don T

Don T

PostSubject: Re: OEM Rear Sprocket...   OEM Rear Sprocket... EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 2:43 pm

I have changed to a 12T front sprocket and removed the rubber on the rear sprocket - after 3 days of really hardcore offroad riding I can report that not ones did the chain skip a tooth cheers eventhough I ride with quite a bit more chain slack than recomended by Yamaha...
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: OEM Rear Sprocket...   OEM Rear Sprocket... EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 8:35 pm

Stock mine came with NO rubber on the rear sprocket. I swapped the 13T with a 12T...still no skipping. thumb

PostSubject: Re: OEM Rear Sprocket...   OEM Rear Sprocket... Empty

Back to top Go down

OEM Rear Sprocket...
Page 1 of 1