Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Daily Driver - New Rear Sprocket Help

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
No~One

No~One

Daily Driver - New Rear Sprocket Help Empty
PostSubject: Daily Driver - New Rear Sprocket Help   Daily Driver - New Rear Sprocket Help EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 9:40 am

My bike is my daily driver for work and et cetera, on the weekends and or my off days I hit the trails & local tracks. Occasionally I go on the autostrada and go on 6th gear full throttle runs (since there is no traffic enforcement here pretty much whatsoever).

So I guess my riding is 80% street / insane run-down Sicilian roads and 20% moderately rocky trails / dirt tracks / local groomed MX tracks.

I can't beat the bike up too much as it's my only mode of transportation currently.

I think it's that magic time to get rid of my stock rubber gasket 2008 rear sprocket, what tooth size is the stock one / in your opinion should I change the size according to my ride conditions I describe above?

I'm still rocking the stock chain & front sprocket, has about 2700 miles on it currently.

Many thanks! thumb
Back to top Go down
Bikeman

PostSubject: Re: Daily Driver - New Rear Sprocket Help   Daily Driver - New Rear Sprocket Help EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 10:21 am

Quote :
what tooth size is the stock one

Stock is 43. It's probably best for what you describe riding. If you did mostly off road I would recommend 48 but you would then top out at 79mph or about 130 kph and get run over on the autostrade.
-Bikeman
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Daily Driver - New Rear Sprocket Help   Daily Driver - New Rear Sprocket Help EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 10:28 am

I ride an x and changed to a 13x45 which is a world better for riding the interstate 70-80mph. If I was off road more often on single track I would go to a 47.
Back to top Go down
No~One

No~One

PostSubject: Re: Daily Driver - New Rear Sprocket Help   Daily Driver - New Rear Sprocket Help EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 2:26 pm

Much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: Daily Driver - New Rear Sprocket Help   Daily Driver - New Rear Sprocket Help EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 2:34 pm

My riding is almost identical to yours with the daily commute and fun on weekends. I'm running a 13/42 on my R, I need to be able to ride comfortably at 65mph or so in a 50mph zone to avoid getting run over by assholes in NW CT. I also have a perelli MT 21 on the back that is about an inch larger than the stock TW. My engines comfort zone is about 68nph as read on the F-ed up stock speedo. I figure it's more like 65 in real speed, but it's closer than the stock setup reads. I have no problems in tight, bumpy, or muddy trails on leisure riding journeys in low gears. I don't want to have the motor turning like a 2-stroke for too long while I travel for any extended period of time trying to keep up with traffic. I'm happy with this setup.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Daily Driver - New Rear Sprocket Help   Daily Driver - New Rear Sprocket Help EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 8:26 pm

No~One wrote:
I think it's that magic time to get rid of my stock rubber gasket 2008 rear sprocket, what tooth size is the stock one / in your opinion should I change the size according to my ride conditions I describe above?
On this last change when my chain ate my swingarm, I used the opportunity to change my gearing. I went 14/49 for a couple of various reasons.

I don't see much change in top end speed - how many guys out there are saying they are bouncing off the limiter in 6th? I haven't tried it to find out, but quite possibly I have an even higher top speed with the lower gearing as 6th can pull more now. Either way, it is close.

I think 14/49 (or its equivalent 13/46) will give you a more usable gearbox. You will see a bit of a decrease in mileage with that overdrive 6th gear gone, of course.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Daily Driver - New Rear Sprocket Help   Daily Driver - New Rear Sprocket Help Empty

Back to top Go down

Daily Driver - New Rear Sprocket Help
Page 1 of 1